Unlimited access >

Rules Regarding USEF Amatuer/Pro Status & NCAA Elegibility

I am currently an 18 year old rider who has been offered a position to ride for a barn in Europe over the duration of summer.

I was wondering (I haven’t found anything similar to this on here yet and the Amatuer rules as well all know are quite confusing) if I take the opportunity, will I turn professional?
[INDENT] Some information about the opportunity:
[INDENT]

• As far as I know, I will not be receiving any lessons in return for the work I do. I will be acting as a groom (cleaning tack, stalls, horses, and keeping the barn maintained) and exercising the horses.
  • There is the possibility of either being paid a set amount a week so I can pay for housing and food and such [I]OR[/I] not being paid, but having my living/food expenses paid for.
  • My plane tickets (USA to Europe and Europe back to USA) would also be potentially subsidized.
[/INDENT]

So back to my original question, will I be considered a professional once I begin this ‘internship’ even though the entirety of the trip will be in Europe? Also (this may or may not be in anyone’s knowledge, but it is worth it to ask) will be NCAA eligibility be revoked if I turn Pro under USEF guidelines?

I am okay with turning pro because of this wonderful opportunity, I just would rather not throw away a riding scholarship because of this.

Hopefully someone can comprehend this, and if not, I can try to clarify. I am in the process of speaking to an NCAA representative but they are taking forever to reply and I would like to know as soon as possible.

Thanks for reading!

If you will be riding the horses and being paid (even just in living expenses), then that revokes your USEF amateur status.

But if it’s a great opportunity - and it sounds like it is - do it anyway. You can petition to get your amateur status back after you return.

As far as a NCAA scholarship, maybe the first question is is it even likely you’d get one and how much money it would be. Most athletic scholarships are not full ride and you might not be all that much ahead with one. If you are eligible for financial aid, it might not even be that hard to replace the NCAA money with academic based grants or need based grants.

Your USEF Amateur Status does not directly correspond to to your NCAA Amateur status. I’m unclear on the specific rules, but I would be more concerned with having your flights and housing paid for.

Paging SaturdayNightLive!!

Your activities, not your USEF standing, will affect your NCAA status.

You can not be paid to ride that makes you a Pro for both NCAA and USEF.

Call your college coach. They should have the answers.

Just out of curiosity… where in Europe are you riding? (sorry off topic)

I think there is a dispensation for summer activities for NCAA purposes. The rules definitely don’t correspond exactly.

1. Receiving room and board in exchange for riding a horse that doesn’t belong to you will make you a pro with USEF. Been there, done that, have the pro card to prove it.

2. Being paid to ride in any way, shape, or form will make you ineligible with the NCAA.

Re: Peggy’s comment on a summer dispensation - there is such a thing but it only applies to prize money won during the summer. It does not permit one to be paid to ride.

Now whether or not you will be caught by the NCAA is debatable, however, it really isn’t something I would play around with.

You need to talk to your coach, guidance counselor etc about any stipulations of your NCAA scholarship - that is more than just turning pro - it’s your education and your future. Are you going to be receiving any type of salary or strictly room and board? Your coach and counselor would be the best people to ask and get it in writing.

I just asked my niece who rides for a Division 1 school team. She said she could work during the summer, be paid to groom and exercise horses, but only show her own horse. This kept her amateur status. She said that showing a horse she did not own or lease would be considered Pro status and would definitely affect her eligibility to ride for a D1 school. FWIW

SNL is right, but one thing you neglect to mention: you say you’re 18, but what’s your show age? Are you still a junior per USEF?

[QUOTE=Zuri;7529616]
I just asked my niece who rides for a Division 1 school team. She said she could work during the summer, be paid to groom and exercise horses, but only show her own horse. This kept her amateur status. She said that showing a horse she did not own or lease would be considered Pro status and would definitely affect her eligibility to ride for a D1 school. FWIW[/QUOTE]

My daughter also rides for a D1 school and this is correct.

Sorry - I’ve been working on essays and in class all day. My show age is 18, so I am an Amateur. I am waiting to hear a little more from the trainer in Europe to gather more details to tell my coach (I am already accepted to a D.1 school, I just want to make sure I don’t mess up my eligibility to ride for them).

Thank you all for your input - it was really helpful! I do believe there is a summer dispensation for NCAA because I was also being contacted for an ambassadorship program and my coach said that was okay, but only for the duration of summer.

[QUOTE=huntereq421;7530122]

Thank you all for your input - it was really helpful! I do believe there is a summer dispensation for NCAA because I was also being contacted for an ambassadorship program and my coach said that was okay, but only for the duration of summer.[/QUOTE]

There is. But that just means you can accept prize money. Same with any school vacation (that does not include weekends), you can accept prize money, but that’s the only difference.