Unlimited access >

Runner's Relief - Anyone heard of this, used it, liked/disliked?

Hi All,

I’m thinking of adding Runner’s Relief to my OTTBs rehab program. Wondered if any of you have any experience(s) with the product that’d you could share.

Thanks

I can’t imagine that it’s any different than any of the other poultices out there. How could it be? There is simply NO WAY something applied topically can align healing tendon fibers. Their website and assorted claims are just eyeroll worthy.

And their rehab schedule is pretty much inline with Tom Iver’s book. Nothing mind blowing there.

Thanks Simkie, makes sense.

The issue I’m dealing with is chronic and unfortunately was left untreated for a LONG time before I came to own the horse. Looking for ways to get create heat and aid in releasing tendon sheath adhesion’s as well as increase blood flow to the area.

Any suggestions would be welcome :yes:

I admit to looking at their products also–it is expensive and it seems like the poultice has “carbon” in it–which I assumed that meant a “charcoal” product? I see charcoal and how to make charcoal poultices are touted on some human websites–charcoal can be purchased cheaply. But I have not been able to figure out how charcoal would create heat though I am sure it has many good purposes. I might try mixing charcoal with clay poultice and make a poultice for my own limbs and see what happens! “Chronic Sinew” poultice made up of chinese herbs etc. is another one I have found but not used.

Thanks omare: The reason I’m a little skiptical is that the product seems to have been around for a while so I’m thinking, why is it not very popular with such amazing results. That said I’m all for trying new especially when, right now, I don’t have many other options. The price tag is a little hefty but given the amount of money, time and effort I’m ploughing into this guy it may be worth a try anyway. I’ve also bought an Ultrasound machine that I will be using under direction form my vet.

Will go do some more research and, if I do decide to give it a go, I’ll update on the results.

Please do keep us updated. I am in the same boat rehabbing a horse I got back with injuries not caught early .

I don’t see how ANY sort of topical, heat producing or no, is going to reduce adhesions. Work and movement will break up adhesions, ultrasound might break them down and shockwave might be useful…but a poultice or warm water soak? No way.

I’m currently rehabbing a gelding with two bows and I would love it if this product actually did what it claimed, but there is just no way, no how.

Have your read Tom Iver’s bowed tendon book? It’s been reprinted so it’s wildly available now and is worth a read through if you’ve not seen it already. Nothing mind blowing in it, but it’s a good resource. Unfortunately, there isn’t really anything mind blowing when it comes to injuries like this.

Do you even have a diagnosis yet? I have no experience with the stuff you mentioned so I can’t comment specifically except to say, I would not try it personally.

Hi Simkie: I think my previous comment was a little misleading. I’m looking to achieve three things. 1) get heat in there 2) break down the adhesion’s and 3) increase blood flow. Was just having general search around for products that might help and stumbled across this one (with a view to getting heat in there). Like I said I’m skeptical too and I agree that it seems far fetched for a topical therapy to reach the deeper tissues however, also like to keep an open mind therefore just wondered whether anyone had any real life experience of this product.

Laurie, you’re quite right in asking whether I have a diagnosis and yes, I do. I’ll update the original post, prob tomorrow, with details so anyone who was interested can see the results. In short there is a lot of tendon damage. Working on a rehab plan with vet but I like to do my own investigations too although won’t act on it until I’ve run it past the vet. Good news is this guy is pasture sound with no bute. Guarded prognosis in terms of being ridden but he does have a chance, and some very committed human friend have got his back :yes:

4THEHORSES, but why would you spend money on this product? Obviously, it won’t do anything for your adhesions. And the warm water soak portion of this “cure” is what’s warming things up and increasing blood flow. So why drop the dollars on the snake oil?

Just curious why you’d even consider it. You’re obviously dedicated to giving this guy a chance, but there are far better things to be spending your money on :wink:

And what’s his story, anyway? Let’s compare :slight_smile:

Laurie, Simkie:

I updated the original post on this guy but here’s what I wront re: his diagnosis/prognosis:

Hi Folks,

Wanted to post an update on this guy, now that we have a diagnosis. It ain’t pretty!!

He has damaged both suspensory branches (the outside being the worst) as well as the deep digital flexor tendon (deep, deep down where it connects to the inside of the hoof!). There is also damage to the sesamoid bones. I found out that the original injury was sustained in 2011, was not diagnosed, treated or rehabbed appropriately and looks there were two attempts made to return him to racing!! The most recent being in May of this year. Due mostly to the lack of appropriate rehab none of these injuries have healed well. There is a MASSIVE amount of scar tissue on the ligament and tendon and the sesamoid bones have healed ragged.

The positive side is that he’s pasture sound however he’s at risk of the DDFT completely rupturing and causing a catastrophic breakdown.

Next move is to see whether anything can be done to reduce the amount of scar tissue and stabilize the DDFT.

Poor guy!

He sounds a lot like my gelding. Just wanted to chime in on your original question and say we have had good resuls with Back on Track No Bows for improved circulation and gentle heat.

Thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile: Out of interest, how old was your guys injury?

About two and half to three years old. Sustained a fracture to the sesamoid on FR. Had surgery but not in a timely manner. Bone is fine with a screw still in place, but the ligaments are a mess. Arthritis in the fetlock. There is clearly further damage I’m not yet aware of, so we have an appointment at Rood & Riddle on Tuesday.

Please PM me if you ever want to chat rehab tactics! :slight_smile: I’ve had my guy for about six months and we’ve come a long way, but I’m always looking for for new paths on this road to recovery!

Will do, do know of anyone else in the same/similar situation. Def be good to ‘compare notes’ :yes: Thank you