Running martingale with carabiner clippy rings

Thanks, beowulf. That’s kind of what I was wondering, about the structural integrity of the clips. Guess I’ll stick to the tried-and-true-yet-less-convenient method. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ditto! Thanks everyone!

I did a DYI (on a less expensive martingale) using these and they broke quickly. Granted one got closed in the truck door, but still Im not sure these are the safest. I might try the ones mmeqcenter posted now, or smaller carabiners, that ive cut off the original rings.

Since this thread got bumped up I’ll throw in that I got mine from Prestige and I love it. I’ve never had any issues with the rings breaking or getting caught on things or moving past the keepers. Now that I have the clip rings I can’t imagine going back to unbuckling my reins every ride :joy:

2 Likes

BHoof (Peder Fredrickson’s newer company) makes one

I have two of the bridles and have been really happy with the thoughtful design and leather quality.

Be VERY careful using carabiner clips around horses and horse faces. They open and close easily, can get snagged on things when horse rubs on or near them. My Vet friend says his worst rips to repair have been caused with carabiners getting caught on faces, lips, flesh. Horse flings away, ripping skin that carabiner had opened onto, not releasing.

Sometimes saving an exta couple seconds is just not worth using that kind of equipment.

1 Like