Unlimited access >

Rusty buckles on tack- Any way to save them?

I have had tack (saddles, bridles, breast collars, etc) leather & nylon all my life, I took care of it all.
So I have never had to deal with this before so maybe someone out there knows how and can share…

I recently got a crate full of miscellaneous tack (mainly harness bits-n-pieces), a lot of it is nylon but some is leather.
Either way, it’s not really about that- it’s about the buckles and such (things that can’t just be easily removed and replaced). There’s also a dull snaffle in there as well.
Most of the buckles are rusty, green stuff on them (assume corrosion), or somewhat rusty, etc. ---- Is there any way to save these?

Some of the tack is really nice, I don’t think I could manage to throw it away due to this.
Thinking I might go at some of them with a wire brush or sandpaper and see.

So is there anything that would work short of replacing them the hard way (removing and having to take the pieces somewhere to sew it back up) or tossing them?

Sounds like a box I am getting ready to put out, “free to a good home”.

Get some small wire “detail” brushes. An auto parts store, hardware, home depot etc should have them. Bass (softer) and metal. They don’t cost much.

If they are really rusty get a small bottle of Navel Jelly rust remover and follow the directions. If will dissolve the rust after letting it sit for a while. Will free up “frozen” ones.

You can also get a small can of compound polish at an auto parts store. They will clean up nicely with some, a lot of elbow grease with the detail bushes.

I have a bench mounted grinder in my shop that has wire brush wheel on one side and a buffing wheel on the other side. Makes for short work.

[QUOTE=gumtree;8644513]
Sounds like a box I am getting ready to put out, “free to a good home”.

Get some small wire “detail” brushes. An auto parts store, hardware, home depot etc should have them. Bass (softer) and metal. They don’t cost much.

If they are really rusty get a small bottle of Navel Jelly rust remover and follow the directions. If will dissolve the rust after letting it sit for a while. Will free up “frozen” ones.

You can also get a small can of compound polish at an auto parts store. They will clean up nicely with some, a lot of elbow grease with the detail bushes.

I have a bench mounted grinder in my shop that has wire brush wheel on one side and a buffing wheel on the other side. Makes for short work.[/QUOTE]

Wasn’t even thinking apparently…doh!
I have most of that stuff from restoring cars lol.
Well don’t have a bench mounted grinder, that sounds nice! And no naval jelly. But do have numerous wire wheels for the drill, lots of wire brushes, compound polish and really no telling what else.
Thanks for that reminder gumtree!

Sounds like my kinda box, love digging through old tack.

Fine-gauge steel wool, wadded up and dampened might work too. Just be sure to rinse off and dry the buckles thoroughly after the steel wool scrubbing.

After the rust is gone, what’s the best way to prevent its return (other than keeping it dry)?

[QUOTE=Inclined;8646091]
After the rust is gone, what’s the best way to prevent its return (other than keeping it dry)?[/QUOTE]

^ Good question.

On cars I use a rust preventive paint - which would be hard to apply on such a small area.
I’ve also used Penetrol which has to be brushed on, so this might be the easiest solution though the buckles won’t be shiny chrome like any more of course.
Might be able to buy some chrome paint in a spray can- spray a little at a time in the cap and brush it on. I’ve done this on smaller bits on cars with other colors.

But maybe someone else has some other solution to that question?