Unlimited access >

Sabulous Urolithiasis - Treatment / Outcomes

I took in an 11 yr old abandoned Belgian gelding. Turns out he has a urinary issue, appears to be Sabulous Urolithiasis - nonnuero (poor guy). He is under veterinary care with a vet I trust and value. He’s coming out again tomorrow to cath, drain, and flush bladder - then I’m to cath him myself every other day until we can clear out all/most of the sedimentation out in hopes of regaining bladder function.
Curious if anyone else has been through this, your experience, treatments tried, primary cause, outcomes.
From what I’ve read outcomes are generally poor, my vet seems more optimistic than I am, though he doesn’t seem like an unhappy/distressed horse you would even consider putting down, other than a drippy problem, and us battling urine scalding of hind legs.

Has anyone had a successful outcome with this horrible, messy issue?

Wow, interesting. I have no ideas for you, but I’m terribly curious about the cause if it’s not neuro?

I am sorry you and your horse are going through this but happy to hear he has some chance. I don’t have any experience with this but I did want to tell you that for the urine scald on the hind legs get a large jar of plain zinc oxide and slather the hind legs. I use it for serum scald for bad wounds and it works like a charm. It does not collect much dirt, is impenetrable to liquid and can be washed off pretty easily with a mild soap.

http://www.amazon.com/Zinc-Oxide-Ointment-Rugby-Lb/dp/B000PHZ8W8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1430969149&sr=8-5&keywords=zinc+oxide

This particular company also offers a 4 pack for a discount, just scroll through the list if you want that.

Thank you both. So the vets game plan is to flush/drain his bladder a few times in hope we can get rid of the sediment build up in his bladder and reduce his bladder wall inflammation… After we get this under control were hoping to figure out/ find signs of the underlying cause. I will try to come back and update as much as possible when I can.

I have a horse that was diagnosed with a paralyzed bladder over 6 years ago. At the time I asked for help from COTH and no one had experience with this problem. So I have re-registered and come out of lurkdom to tell you my experience.
My vet at the time worked at a large vet college hospital and said my horse was the 4th one they had ever diagnosed. Two of the 4 were euthanized (owners didn’t want to deal with diagnosis), one was drained monthly and still competed, and mine. We never found the cause.
Did the flush/ drain for a little while then decided (with the vet) that it wasn’t benefiting my horse and each time the catheter is used we risked infection (when we did drain my horse was on antibiotics to prevent infection). I don’t ride my horse because of arthritis but other than the urine dribble he is healthy.
Here is how I have maintained the urine cleanup… Zinc oxide is wonderful - I cover the back legs from inner gaskin down to hoof. I also wash with lucky braids shampoo- it cleans with out stripping and the skin needs all the protection it can get. I did this for a couple of years until I discovered summer whinnys http://summerwhinnys.com/ . These are excellent for leg protection from the urine dribble. I still cover legs with zinc oxide (just don’t have to use as much) and then pull on the summer socks. My horses legs went from good to you would never know urine dribbles on them all day. I can also wash his legs less often which is especially great in winter. The only other thing I have noticed is that flies are even more attracted to my horse-, not the back legs but every where else. Hope this helps.

That is great info for me, too. Thanks.
My 28 yo has had recurrent bouts of EPM and is currently mildly neurologic.
He has occasionally dribbled urine in the past, but has begun to squirt urine as he walks. He can still drop down, but appears to have little control over urination.
Vet is not overly alarmed and we have started him on his cocktail again. (this is his 4th EPM type episode in 5 years)
I had been putting on Vaseline, but the zinc oxide will get bought tomorrow.
Other than that, he is eating and walking fine, he just leaves a trail. Perfectly happy and engaging with us and looking for snacks. Begs for his daily hunk of watermelon.

For those of you using zinc oxide. Walmart has a heavier concentration in their Diaper Rash Relief ointment- it’s 40% zinc oxide whereas most others are only 20% or less. The additional z.o. really makes a difference when you have a bad rash. It also cheaper at $7.97 for a one pound jar. I use lots of this and it’s great.

Yes 40% zinc oxide makes a difference. I stock up on sales.