Unlimited access >

Sad Situation… Need Thoughts

Hello COTH friends. You have always been so helpful for me with my doggy and cat questions. So here’s a question for you. My 82-year-old mother who lives alone 1200 miles away is dealing with putting her elderly German Shepherd to sleep. I have never in my life seen a dog and a human being so in tune with each other. She is heartbroken. She keeps telling me this is her last dog. Because she does not want to get a small dog. To replace her beloved. I just can’t imagine her without a pet How do you handle pets in your senior years? Are you supposed to give up the companionship because you’re old? She is definitely not a cat person. She is probably one of the most extraordinary dog owners I’ve ever met. Her animals are well trained amazing well cared for. She’s just old and doesn’t think she can manage the hundred pound shepherds she’s used to.

Is there a medium size dog that would fill the niche or is she destined to be alone? Makes me sad.

22 Likes

I’m so sorry about your mother’s loyal friend. What a beautiful old fellow!

Anecdotally, my husband since we first met always claimed to NOT be a small dog person. He was adamant. Fast forward and he has now had two small dogs to enjoy life with and absolutely adores them.

I think what type of small dog matters. Ours are/were both dachshund crosses … wise, workmanlike and quite opinionated. Not terribly yappy. Great companions.

I wonder if she would change her mind with a little exposure to a small-ish dog?

7 Likes

Offer to foster or foster/hospice for a local rescue or shelter. Senior dogs, and cats, so often get overlooked for permanent homes.

Then, if something happens that she can no longer do it, she can give up fostering. This is what I plan when I get too old to deal with puppies or kittens, and worrying what will happen to them if I pass.

I’m 64, I figure on my last GSD, he’s 2. I have a poodle puppy, 4 months. Probably my last baby. My cats are 3-7, so may well be done with kittens.

Edit: Foster fail is real. She could find her perfect companion. But ib\n the meantime, no guilt if the dog isn’t something she wants. Fostering is perfect for that. Ask me how I know. I have 4 foster fail cats. But I’ve fostered around 160. You just know when one is right to become yours

34 Likes

I agree completely! my small dog that I adored was a Pomeranian always said he was a lion trapped in a furry little body. I guess I’m getting ahead of myself. I just can’t imagine her being alone.

2 Likes

I also was going to suggest fostering for a rescue so she can have a dogs in the house without the commitment and financial burden of having a dog. (I think most rescues take care of all vet work, I don’t know about food).

Then my second throught as a senior dog.

I will also echo the statement about “not all little dogs are…” I am not a little dog person, but I would consider some breeds; Boston Terriers, smaller working dogs like spaniels may also fit her needs, may be a corgi?

I hope she does not give up dogs.

PS. anything less than 60lbs is little in my book :rofl:

9 Likes

lol! Same! She has always had shepherds, and when I say, shepherds, I mean hundred pounds plus shepherds. She loves an intelligent dog doesn’t mind one that needs exercise. She lives on 18 acres. I think her biggest fear is that she will not outlive her next or her last dog ):

3 Likes

This is how my household is too. And I admit, I was always a person who liked big dogs and never thought I would like a small dog, but here I am with a small dog that I totally love.

On the topic of finding a new pet, I would look around to see what shelters and rescues in her area have to offer. Not for pets, but for services. I know the shelter near me totally gets the importance of seniors having pets and they will work hard to make sure seniors are set up with a pet that will work in their home.

8 Likes

Is it weird I keep thinking a retired greyhound would be perfect? Large dog. Intelligent dog. Lots of room to run. Big ass sofa to sleep on.

14 Likes

Not all shepherds are huge.
My 2 rescued female GSD were
both around 70 lbs.
I totally understand your Mom’s
thoughts although I also love
small dogs.
I’m 80+ and my adult son wants
to kidnap my current GSD and
Keep her, so my plan is to rescue/adopt another similar dog if that happens.
I have a perfect doggy paradise
farm so like your mom I hesitate
to get a puppy.
The security of having a barky
bigger dog is so comforting when you’re old and live alone
on acreage

8 Likes

That’s so true! I think two shepherds ago she had a small female, probably about 45 pounds who was one of the most intelligent dogs I’ve ever met. She taught her to speak! I swear she taught that dog to say I want a cookie. Anyway. I think I do the same thing every time I lose either a horse or a cat or a dog. I lament that I cannot do this anymore…. The WORST part of loving an animalis when you have to let it go… because it seems so huge and overwhelming. And if you could take a step back and see the entirety, Then you realize it’s the smallest part. The in-between was beautiful And it’s your duty … even if it’s awful.

11 Likes

We all feel lost when we first lose our friend, but usually, with some time, we gradually realize
we can give another pet a great life.
Are you able to offer to take a new dog if she needed a backup
if anything happened to her?
That’ a worry most older people have.

4 Likes

Did your mom get that beautiful boy from a breeder or is there a reputable GSD breeder nearby? Sometimes they are looking for good homes for those dogs who have finished their show career or the females who have had their two litters or sometimes one that doesn’t quite meet the standard… They are very well mannered from being on the show circuit and just love attention. (Says the person who went to pick up a puppy after I was extensively vetted by the breeder only to be offered his mom as well. Twofer! And delighted we did it.)

What fortunate dogs your mom has had.

13 Likes

I was also thinking greyhound for your mom, or even a lurcher. I am just not familiar on how smart they are.

1 Like

I told her to get a new dog and if anything bad happened, I would take it in. I am the biggest sucker that ever lived. I usually have four or five dogs at one time.

14 Likes

Yes, she actually did get it from a reputable breeder. This is the second dog that she got from that same breeder in 20 years. I paid for both pups as a gift to her. I will say that this last dog as amazing and intelligent as he is had so much trouble with his elbows She did surgeries. I started to lose faith in that breeder. This dog she has now is a descendent of the dog that she first got 20 years ago. My mama loves shepherds! I think we need to move her to a different breed

1 Like

I’m sorry I’m probably not making much sense! My dear mother lives 1200 miles away from me. She lives alone after being divorced after a 38 year marriage to my father. so I researched quality German Shepherd breeders and bought her a pup that was the first one. That was Riley. He died at 11 or 12 years old from hemangiosarcoma. She was heartbroken. So she contacted the same breeder and inquired about a litter. And I bought her Milo. Milo has a lot of issues with his elbows I’m not sure what’s going on with him now he spiked 104° fever Went off food and water And is in the hospital. My mom lives in rural Ohio. I think her vet clinic is good but I’m pretty sure Milo needs to cross the bridge

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Your mom is fortunate to have you helping her through this. Losing our 4 legged companions whether to illness or the rainbow bridge is heartbreaking. New paws never quite fit the prints left by the previous dog, but in time they forge their own to stand alongside.

1 Like

Thank you. How do I convince her? She’s not too old to have another dog?

I think you visit. Maybe she would foster an older dog that’s in a rescue?

she does have autonomy, though. Your image is of her with a dog. Maybe a break from that is her image of her. We don’t know.

go visit when you can, but for now- let it lie.

6 Likes

Came here to say this. Czech lines tend to be smaller and easier to raise than your typical working line GSD.

Our oldest and best gal has consistently weighed in between 59-61 lbs her entire adult life. She spoiled us and now our expectations are unreasonably high.

Picture for tax because she’s perfect. She’s always been. Our next puppy was a rude awakening :sweat_smile:

22 Likes