Unlimited access >

Saddle assessment

CWD as a company is terrible and has only gotten worse in recent years.

Your horse looks like a fairly normal modern WB (especially compared to a lot of overweight ones in the USA), and a bit on the wider, big shouldered and prominent withers type. But the overall shape of the back is not that unusual. I think any of the brands you are looking at have a variety of tree widths. I think Equipe and Erreplus might be the best for the shoulder room while still having withers clearance. And I think Equipe would have some flatter through the rails options where your horse is pretty flat under the rider. Otherwise you may need longer tree points on an Amerigo or one of the foam model Prestige with scapula room. Equipe and Prestige will have the most French like feel for the rider from my experience.

I will agree with others & say it doesn’t look great. Definitely not balanced sitting there in the crossties.

However, for a TRUE fitting, you need to girth it down and look at it in motion. That is where everything will come to light. I’d suggest getting a video of your horse lunging in just the saddle, tightened for a true opinion.

Also wondering what the panel is? Do you have a picture of the code?

Feel free to DM me any additional photos/videos if you want a non-affiliated, independent advice from someone who worked for CWD at one time and then went independent with good reviews. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I popped into this thread to say the same thing.

My saddle is perfectly balanced for me. This is how it looks sitting on my horse with pads. Note the half pad is not shimmed in front for wither clearance. So yes, you have to sit in it.

2 Likes

Nice saddle… This is balanced pretty good, my Harry Dabbs looks the same. What kind of saddle pad is this?

I am actually waiting for CWD to get me the prepaid returning ticket for the saddle… Seems to be a difficult task to send it to me. Communication with CWD is so hard. Really love the saddles but since nobody there wants to work with me, I sadly have to look for other options.

Were you responding to me?

It’s a Winderen pad.

1 Like

Yes. Ok, dind`t recognize it as a Winderen Pad. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey guys,

The saddle lady proposed this saddle for my horse. She thinks it will “fit perfectly”… Hm. What do you think?
I also think a 2L Flap is better for me, and i am not so sure if a SE01 will be a good choice…

As far as I can see it might be a wider tree an Panel code is “PA RT”

The problem ist I originally was looking for a SE31/32 mademoiselle. The SE25 was ok for me but not for my horse as you could see in my previous postings before christmas.

Now she offers this SE01 (she only got pictures from the horses back and I said the SE25 tree was too narrow for him, he also has a big shoulder…)

The tree width on the classic saddles such as the SE01 is a bit narrower than any of the 2Gs ones. But this saddle won’t be as built up in the shoulder as far as the panel goes. It also could sit closer to his withers for the same reasons. Some years you could get a wide tree on a classic, but this one looks to be normal tree and I don’t think they have other tree widths anymore.

The seat on the SE01 will ride flatter than the others you tried. The flap runs straighter.

@IPEsq
which Panel configuration should I look for, can you tell by the pics of my horse?

I thought I was done with CWD but… honestly I am not really, just like the saddles… Cant help.

But this whole saddle thing drives me crazy.

What was the stamp on the first saddle?

It was

PA 805

Where can I find out which tree is in the saddle?
Its always everything about the panel configuration… but where is written something about the tree?

This case for example:

Its an RT+ RG+ configuration (whatever this means)… how can I find out if the tree fits to my horse?

Leni - you’re honestly not going to find tree information on the website or usually from reps.
Many people will measure the “dot to dot” but that also isn’t accurate, as the dot to dot isn’t where the tree points are. I can’t remember the exact measurements of the tree points anymore, but they rarely do a wide tree and the saddle will be stamped AO if it is wide. Also - 2G trees do not come in wide.

To answer your questions - your tree is going to depend on MAKE for saddle and the year.

A 2013 2Gs is going to fit wider than a 2020 2Gs.
A 2016 Classic is going to fit different than a 2020 Classic.
Also note CWD has gone through multiple tree changes.
Classic trees were changed from English Wood/Steel to Wood/Composite in ~2018.
The mix on the 2Gs Kevlar & Carbon was changed in ~2014.

The difference between the SE25 & the SE01 is the tree (2G tree vs. Classic).
The 805 on the 2G on your OG post is not going to totally fit like the SE01. The 805 is 5mm behind the shoulder gusset. The PA ST is just standard with nothing added.

Seat wise for you, the SE01 & Madem ride pretty similar. The Madem is also a flat seat but it has a U shaped pommel for the pelvis, lighter, and has additional padding and memory foam places on the seat. The SE25 you rode in that you liked is a Semi-Deep seat, so if you like that - classic wise you want to look at the SE02. The SE31 you linked above is the “hunter” Madem, so a little more streamlined (less extra foam) and muted for the hunters. Also flatter seat. The panel is again more standard with minor shaving in areas that isn’t going to make a huge difference.

Its hard to fit off of “do you thinks” without seeing the horse in person, but I’m more than willing to try and help you through pictures or talk you through as much CWD info as my brain can spill out.

It was PA 805

Sorry for the late reply, I haven`t seen your post.

But as you see, I am still searching for a solution, the PA 805 Saddle from the pic is sent back to CWD. At the moment I ride with the Harry Dabbs. Which is also not perfect but balanced and wide enough.

1 Like

Wow, thank you so much for all the information, you´re such a pro :slight_smile:
It is so hard to find someone who can help you with CWD… especially here in Germany I guess. I dont know but I feel like most of the people here which are not professional dont ride CWD… Prestige, Amerigo, Erreplus and more German “classic” brands like Kieffer and Stübben are more common. So I don`t have people here who can help me.

1 Like

Hahaha, yep, this is what I also figured out so far. The CWD girl I was talking to doesnt seemed to be… hm… how can I say that? Not so… interested in helping me (just wants to sell something) and not so informed about “her” products. Which is confusing me a little bit, because its not some bananas I buy for 2 Euros in the supermarket…
So - the communication with CWD is so hard, as I mentioned before… and the point ist - if the saddles wouldn`t be so nice, I just would have given up on this whole thing.

I really ask myself if I should give up the idea of riding this horse in a CWD…

1 Like

Ex-pro :rofl: While it was a fun job, and I got to meet, learn and do so many cool things… It definitely wasn’t a fun company to work for.

Jessica von Dornberg was the CWD rep in Germany for a long time. We went through CWD together. I believe she works for Horse Shop Landenhausen now, which doesn’t sell CWD, but she could know of some used ones/have used ones on consignment and might be able to help you. I know Germany is a large country, so not sure where that is in comparison to you, but she is really the best and knows her stuff.

1 Like

Hahahahahaha - was this a joke? In comparison to the states its more like a small cozy village :wink:
Ok well Landenhausen is about 200 km (125 miles) away from my home.
https://www.horse-shop.net/service/sattlerei/?fbclid=IwAR1FYxI-KHDvAYZDroXaTQzJmM8H-F1mscan9fH2wbumBJkvgIQcmvX1rH0
I found it.

Funny because they say they drive to your location if its not over 180 km. So… mine is 200. :-/