Unlimited access >

Saddle assessment

What do you think about the fitting? (I think this is not working out… I don`t like the shoulder area)

IMG_9818

If that’s placed high and slid back until it sticks, it’s too narrow. Can’t tell anything about the rest of the shape. You also want a rear view showing the whole lateral view of the saddle to see its shape relative to the back, and the spinal clearance.

4 Likes

The wither clearance looks good (both up and down and side to side), but the pommel is higher than the cantle - it’s definitely not balanced.

I’m not a saddle fitter, though, so I cannot tell you what to look for in a different saddle or how to correct the balance in this saddle (if possible).

2 Likes

Agree with the others, it’s not sitting level and that’s in major part because the overall tree is too narrow.

4 Likes

Ok, I also agree - this was the same “direction” I thought, too… Guess this cannot be corrected in this saddle!? Tree is just the wrong one for that horse… Hm. Bad… because I like the saddle :-/ But doesn`t help. It needs to fit the horse too…

Are there other options to go with CWD (or do they have only this tree size? Sorry, don`t have experience with CWD) or should I look for another brand? I am also interested in Prestige, Erreplus and Amerigo. It is easy to get those saddles in Europe.

(And: Sorry if my english is not as good as expected…or hard to understand. I try to improve it by reading here… I am from Europe)

4 Likes

Your absolute best course of action would be to have an independent saddle fitter (someone with certifications) out to do an assessment on your horse’s back and any saddle you’re trying. Of course, that can be hard to do if you’re shopping used. A fitter could also do measurements and then give you some guidance on what to look for in a saddle.

Prestige, Amerigo, and Erreplus all have one thing in common that CWD doesn’t; they offer wool flocked panels. Wool flocking can add an extra level of adjustability to your saddle if your horse needs it, as the panels can be re-shaped with the wool if your horse’s back changes. However, it needs to be constantly checked/maintained so there’s a bit more maintenance there.

I recently took the plunge with Prestige. I had a rep who was knowledgeable about fit for both the horse and the rider. I cannot speak for the other brands’ reps, but it seems that Prestige educates their reps on fit (versus sales like some of the most popular French brands). However, I plan on cross checking my new saddle’s fit with an independent fitter when my new saddle arrives.

1 Like

I get an appointment with an independent saddle fitter who will look at my horse in January. At the moment I ride a Harry Dabbs which fits quite well but needs to be checked, its from 2015, (its also wool flocked) - but its not exactly what I personally like. The CWD had a very good feeling for me personally but… hm… as you can see it doesnt fit the horse. I wonder if you can get different trees and “chamber wide” (is this the correct english term?) with CWD… On their site is a lack on information on that…
So… i will let the Harry Dabbs be checked and I already asked for some Prestige and Erreplus saddles to try out, so we can see if it fits both the horse and me…

1 Like

CWD saddles are offered in different tree sizes. I don’t know what size you have now so I don’t know if there are wider ones than the one you currently have.

1 Like

It’s my understanding that CWD does not offer a variety of trees, but they do offer a variety of tree widths.

Absolutely continue trying saddles until you find something that fits you BOTH. Fitting the horse is first, sure, but if you’re uncomfortable, that will compromise your riding, which could make your horse uncomfortable. Saddle shopping is hard work, but a worthy investment for the longevity of both you and your horse.

3 Likes

Can I see it in the saddle number, how can I find out? Who can tell?

CWD is kind of… lacking in information about the saddle tree size etc… You know what i mean? I really love the style of the saddles and how they feel when riding but what I don`t like is the customer service and some other specific things about the company. Despite it I am sad about the 2GS that doesnt fit…

3 Likes

I totally agree with an contacting an indendent saddle fitter. Also, there are some excellent saddle re-sellers who will help you with pictures on-line. I work with one and recently we spent some timie on Facebook chat with pictures to fit my new horse. She suggested one in her inventory, I bought it on trial, and it fits well. I DO NOT recommend paying thousands for a new saddle. Too many horror stories about waiting and waiting, and then they don’t fit. If you pm me, I’ll give you the name of the re-seller I used.

Also, be aware, there are many French saddle haters. especially in the dressage world. I’m not one. I have several French saddles than fit my three horses well among them with different pad/shims. I’ve always had good luck with Antares.

5 Likes

The 2Gs has one tree. But the fit can be varied. Modified saddles will have a more open tree (per my rep, each time the saddle is opened up the carbon tree relaxes a bit and this has been my experience with my saddle also).

I don’t think this one is necessarily too narrow. But it does have a thicker front panel than I’d expect from the codes you shared. You would also need the shoulder taken down some and/or some lift added to the rear.

Without seeing the horse with no tack on, the shape is hard to judge. It might be possible for a 2Gs to fit, just not this particular configuration.

The other brands you are considering are all Italian and have a pretty different feel amongst each other. Of those, Erreplus and Prestige have some options for more shoulder freedom.

Since you are in Europe, also check out Equipe. They have a lot more tree models and widths than the other brands and a more French feel for the rider (it’s also Italian, made in the same factory as Amerigo). It is hard to get a hold of demos in the states but the brand is a lot more accessible in Europe.

1 Like

Are there markings on the inside of the flap? There is usually a serial number there that tells you information including the tree size.

CWD is not exactly known for good customer service. Are you dealing directly with them? If so, you should be able to ask them for info about what they sent you.

1 Like

Today I made some pics without tack, what do you think about his topline?

(The horse paused 5 month due to an injury and is a little bit out of shape, not clipped + fat… Now he is back in training since 4 weeks and will be ready for jumping by next spring)

IMG_9850

IMG_9852

IMG_9857

1 Like

Yes… but it is hard getting replies, in general… The rep who is responsible is not answering… and so on. Not what I expected if you think about the pricing. But that saddle was a used one and I can return it.

I would continue using the Dabbs for a while. Because he has not been working for an extended time, the risk of buying a new saddle now is that the musculature will be changing as you get him back into shape and eventually an expensive new saddle may need adjusting or even replacing yet again.

1 Like

Sounds like they don’t need your money so you don’t have to feel bad about returning the saddle and moving on. There are too many options to chase a saddle company down to get them to work with you.

1 Like

So I adored how my leg felt in a CWD (I have a very long femur, and CWD had a great extra long, extra forward flap) and I tried Harry Dabbs which was a good fit for my horse but not a great feel for me.

We tried Amerigo which does offer a variety of trees and are wool flocked, and that was the perfect fit for us. Do see if there’s a chance to try their saddles. I know Amerigo is bigger in Europe than it is here in the States.

And good luck! Saddle shopping can be such a pain no matter what part of the world you live in, ha.

2 Likes

Yes, you are right… First of all I am planning to check the Dabbs in January. But I am also planning to use this meeting with the saddle fitter to speak about different brands and maybe make a new appointment to try something new… As I already mentioned, I am very interested in Equipe, Amerigo, Prestige and maybe Erreplus. A lot of people in my barn use those brands, especially Prestige and Erreplus. The french brands are not so common here in my barn, I only know one person who rides Devoucoux… CWD was my first choice as I like the style and how they feel… (tried one before)… but the communication with this company and their rep (which is not interested in answering my mails) is so nerv wrecking… puh. I dont have time and nerves for this sort of “one way street”-communication. So I have to look for some other brands.

I feel bad because I really like the saddle - the look, the feeling… the price was also very good (2900 Euro which is round about 3100 Dollar), it looks almost new… But - doesnt help if its not fitting the horse.