Unlimited access >

Saddle fit conflicts

What saddle uses the owner on the horse??

An All-Purpose from England, but I rode in it this week and I’ve never felt less balanced and secure on a horse. I forget what’s it’s called, but it starts with “Fair” and isn’t the one in the same company as Thorowgood mentioned above. She’s technically the owner of the barn, not the horse, but she knows the horse much better than the real owners, who are too scared to actually ride him because… I don’t know why actually. Maybe because they ride in slippery saddles :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s hard to judge the fit as there is only the side photo ungirthed. I like to see the saddle girthed from the front, rear and side with the mane out of the way. Typically, a jump saddle shouldn’t be a problem if the tree points are behind the scapula and the tree and panels fit the horse. If the longitudinal shape is wrong or the panels are the right depth or shape and the width is off, then you might need a change but there isn’t a reason that I can see that a jump saddle wouldn’t work. Granted, there are some horses that do better with a straighter flap but that is often related to their way of going such as certain gaited horses.

Ok, I’ll keep that in mind. I think I’ll come home with some saddles for trial from Rick’s, so I’ll try to get better photos if we have fit questions about them as well.

For my first post on this site, I’ve been so surprised at how much help everyone has given me! Thank you all for sharing your expertise so freely and helping me out! What a great community this is!

A breastplate should not be required with a well-fitted saddle in most cases (and your horse does not appear to be particularly unusual), unless you are doing extreme sports.