Unlimited access >

Saddle Fit Help-Saddle #3

I have an APHA gelding and I feel as though my saddle is not fitting him correctly. I have uploaded some pictures with him tacked up. Thoughts??

I have taken photos without the saddle pad. Thoughts on fit? He is out of shape as he has had the winter off, but now I want to start getting him back in shape but want to make sure I have a proper fitting saddle.

From the photos, it looks like your saddle is tipped forward, which can mean it’s too wide, but we’d like to see more photos as it looks like the saddle may be too far back in these and pads (and cinching) can make it hard to determine initial fit. Do you have photos of your horse with no tack, standing square, and photos of the saddle with no pad, both from the sides and front and back?

It also looks like the saddle is too far back in at least one photo, causing it to be too long on your horse’s back. If you move it forward for the photos without the pad that would also be helpful in determining what the best option for you might be.

If you check the Dealer Finder on our website for a dealer near you, it may be helpful to see if they offer saddle fitting consultations, the absolute best advice possible will come from a saddle fitter who can see your horse in person to feel his back and move the saddle around.

2 Likes

Also to my inexperienced eye you can see how it " digs in" at the front( see the concho) and flares out away instead of laying smoothly against his shape. I agree it is placed way too far back.

Try another picture with it placed correctly.

I have added photos without a saddle pad. Thoughts now on fit?

To me it looks too tight. Right where those silver conchos are? Appears to be digging into the shoulder, or will be with rider weight added.

4 Likes

See my response to cilla1 on the other saddle fit question here. The best advice you’ll get! Good Luck!

Saddle does not fit. Angle of the tree is wrong, and will pinch and create a pressure point. Can’t fix that.

1 Like

It looks like the saddle is sitting too far back, which is causing it to dig in and tip.

Looking at his back, does he have a hollow spot behind his shoulder? It looks like he might, which is what’s causing the saddle to slide back so far and tip forward. If that’s the case, you can use a pad with shims to help build up that area to prevent this.

Ideally, a local saddle fitter would be able to help you get the saddle positioned correctly and should be able to physically feel any hollows along his back to better identify the fit issue we’re seeing here.

From the photos, it’s still not clear if the saddle fits because it’s so far back and there appear to be hollows. If you can move the saddle forward we may have a better idea of how the bars of the tree are fitting. The best solution here is going to be an in-person fitter due to the complications involved.

1 Like

I have tried a different saddle. The pad has shims as well. Thoughts?

How does the horse go in it? Without a pad does it rock back and forth if you apply pressure on the horn or back of the saddle?

Doesn’t look bad to me but riding usually gives you the answer if in doubt…

1 Like

It rocks side to side without a pad. He seems to be happier with it than with the other one.

1 Like

The pad does NOT work with that saddle. Look at how HIGH the saddle is sitting up in the air, with the tree not anywhere near his back, perched off him completely.

This saddle is better than the first but… still not quite perfect. Even without the pad, it is a little bit “perched”. The bar angle looks too narrow, which will perch is up like that. Not horrible, but perhaps could be better.

You are right about the pad @beau159. That pad is really thick and if the saddle rolls from side to side it is too narrow.

Without a pad, saddle un-cinched , I can put quite a bit of pressure on 1 stirrup and my saddle does not move. I can do this on both my rounder bodied horses. It took quite a few saddles and getting exact measurements on one for me to find the right saddles for them both.

Ok I have one last saddle I can try. I have uploaded the photos of it. The angle seems to be a bit better. Thoughts??

It’s hard to tell without being able to “feel” in person. If you run your hand down the front of the saddle, is it “pinching” where the concho is located? It looks tight there.

1 Like

Actually, it’s not pinching there. I thought it would be too, but when I slid my hand under it was even pressure. And the bars are making contact the entire length of the saddle. There is no bridging.

Do a test ride and get the horse good and sweaty to check for any dry spots? If the horse goes well and the sweat pattern is good , then I would give it a try. Can you do a trial in it for a week or 2?

It does look tight( or digging in) at the conchos but that could be camera angle . With your weight in the saddle if it was pinching during a ride you would have dry spots there.

1 Like

Yes, I can test the saddle out. It’s one of mine, so I will try it and see.

Well that makes it easy and no money lost if it doesn’t work out.