Unlimited access >

Saddle fitter/rep in Bucks County, PA?

What should be an exciting venture is quickly becoming overwhelming.

I’m devastated that my 12 year old Smith Worthington Avalon simply doesn’t fit my mare (tree is too wide) and I need to shop for a new saddle.

However, I’m not sure where to start. We threw on a few saddles last night to get an idea of what would fit her and we’ve decided she’s anywhere from a regular tree in some to a wide in others, but that doesn’t get me very far. This is such a serious investment I’d really like to ride in a few of the top saddles (CWD, Voltaire) to see what I personally like to ride in first. I’m also almost 6ft tall and will need an 18in seat with long flaps.

Does anyone have any ideas where to start? Is there anyone around the Bucks County/Montgomery County area that people would recommend? Any advice? Words of wisdom?

Thank you for any input!

I am the rep for Bruno Delgrange. Feel free to give me a call 804-432-3555. (I live in Birdsboro PA)

Kirsten Dingus

I’ve recently learned the hard way - in both $$$ and stress - and there are a couple of things I would recommend:

• Find an independent fitter to help you make sure the saddle fits both you and the horse. Even if you don’t buy something from them, pay for them to come out and look at whatever saddle you are looking at.
  • If you have a rep from one of the saddle companies come out, make sure you can have the saddle for several days on trial. If they say no, then walk away!!!
  • Make sure you have a fit guarantee if you are getting a custom saddle.
  • If a rep is hard to contact or is unresponsive prior to the sale, find someone else. They will not get better after you have purchased something.

Other than that, don’t be afraid to be assertive, ask questions, questions, questions, and more questions.

OP for an independent saddle fitter I like Tara Miliziano of Forward Motion Equine. She does not rep for either of the brands that you mentioned. She will evaluate anything you have and has some lines and used inventory. She can do the wither tracings for you. She also worked with me for suggestions on which saddles to try from the Rick’s Heritage used inventory- I drive by them on my way home.

Finnegan was an incredibly hard fit and she tracked down the right saddler for me. Patrick Saddlery. Patrick was in town for a trade show and she convinced him to come fit my horse. I never rode in the saddle but am very happy with it and my horse loves it.
One saddler I really respected was Stubben. The rep came out, we tried a few saddles, found one I liked and the horse seemed to like. When she brought the wither tracings and pictures of Finnegan back to the master saddlers at Stubben they said they could not make a saddle we would be happy with and returned my deposit. I really appreciated the honesty. They did not want to waste my time and they seem to have a strong fit guarantee. I don’t like old Stubbens but the new ones are pretty nice.

ETA Read the fine print on the back of the contracts before you sign and put down a deposit. There is a pretty hefty restocking fee that applies to CWD. Even if after multiple trys CWD admits they that they cannot produce a saddle that will fit your horse the restocking fee applies.

Everyone has their favorite. Mine is Karen Porter - travels out of Quakertown. She does Albion but also other brands. (215) 538-1803