Unlimited access >

saddle fitters who come to Oklahoma?

Hi all, longtime lurker but first time poster here.

I recently moved to Oklahoma city and I’m having trouble finding much in the way of English riding out here. Can anyone recommend an English saddle fitter who is willing to travel to the area?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to OKC! The horse scene in terms of all English disciplines is a bit different, isn’t it?!

Mike Corcoran out of the Dallas area is really good and comes through here frequently. He used to make saddles for Black Country but now makes them under his own brand, masters.

If you google him his website should come up. I don’t have his number on hand. Good luck!

Ditto about Mike. He lives in the DFW area and is in Oklahoma probably 8-10x annually, if not more. He’s a great and very knowledgable saddle maker/fitter and horseman. Let me know if you need his contact info.

Thanks y’all! I was able to find his website so I’ll give him a call

It depends on what you’re trying to do. Thermscan people are great at finding what’s not fitting in a saddle using infrared cameras. Tom Pickard is near Tulsa, he’s the Antares rep and can assess/fit a saddle if you’re looking to upgrade new or used, or need an Antares repaired. And of course, Corcoran for the full reflocking deal on most other saddles.

I have a couple foam (I think) flocked saddles that I think fit pretty well. But my horse is asymmetrical, so I’d like help shimming to get the saddle to sit straight. If necessary, I’d also consider getting the flocking converted to wool or buying a used saddle that already has wool flocking.

So you need an actual fitter? Not a sales rep for a new one or one purchased from a brand they rep as many actually would be called performing the same services in other industries?

Yup, need an actual fitter. After my horrible experiences with my cwd rep, any future adjustments will be done by an independent fitter. If I need a new saddle, I want an impartial third party making brand recommendations

You will have to report back after you find someone and let us know how your experience is. I too am in Oklahoma and suspect I will need a fitter to reflect my Stubben this spring, but my mare has the winter off right now so I am going to wait until she is back in work.

Tom Pickard / equiventure tack reps Antares. He has a shop in Broken Arrow and a mobil unit.

Not interested in purchasing an antares, does he do fitting fit other brands and have the ability to do wool flocking?

To clarify, mike does make his own saddles, but is also an excellent fitter of any other brand. I have a foam flocked prestige CC that he helped me pad up to appropriately fit my 21 year old mare. Didn’t try to sell me anything. He also did a total reflock on my dressage saddle. I would highly recommend him for what you are needing. You should do a search here, too. I know there are a lot of people very happy with his services!

This thread was perfectly timed. Mike is coming to town tomorrow to drop off a custom saddle and do a few fittings. I’ll let y’all know how it goes

Welcome to Oklahoma!

Thanks! I’m still having trouble getting used to the house scene around here, not sure that I ever will

The house scene?

Ha, whoops. My phone would much rather I talk about houses than horses.

[QUOTE=SaddleUp158;7939357]
You will have to report back after you find someone and let us know how your experience is. I too am in Oklahoma and suspect I will need a fitter to reflect my Stubben this spring, but my mare has the winter off right now so I am going to wait until she is back in work.[/QUOTE]

Update:

My appointment with Mike fell through. Apparently when I made the appointment, he didn’t register me saying that my saddle is foam flocked but that I was interested in possibly getting it covered to wool or receiving recommendations for other brands that are already wool flocked. Anyways, he rescheduled twice at the last minute then the third time he told me that he doesn’t do foam to wool conversion and it seemed like all he does is reflock and make custom saddles. No fit check/conversions/brand suggestions.

He might work for you SaddleUp since you just need a reflock, but didn’t work out for me.

Any other fitters who frequent the area?

That’s a bummer OP. How disappointing. Do you have any other leads for a saddle fitter here in OK? You might check with someone at the Horse of Course (I think that is what the store is called) in Claremore, they may know of a fitter.

I live in okc also. I need a barnsby diablo saddle ref locked and fitted. I know of Mike corcoran, but let me know if you find anyone else good. I may call him this summer, as my saddle is wool flocked.