Unlimited access >

Saddle Fitting Question

I know, I know, another saddle fitting thread…but I do have a question and could use a little help.

I discovered yesterday that my saddle is pinching my horse’s shoulders and causing a lot of issues with riding. (we thought that it was a host of other possible lameness issues). I have noticed on a lot of the other threads, the suggestion to use a Mattes pad. My concern is that more padding would cause an increase in tightness pressure at the shoulders. What have others found?

I just purchased this saddle last year. Mike Corcoran saddle. Mike will be coming out to look at/adjust or we will look at different options. But, in the meantime, I absolutely can not ride in this saddle with it pinching to the point of making him crow-hop and mad. He’s a great guy…very sweet, so I know this is really, really uncomfortable.

Also…any suggestions on saddles to try in the meantime? I really love my saddle from Mike…but I want to keep my options open too. I have not tried Schleese. My instructor just purchased one new, but I can not afford to spend that much on a saddle, especially with a horse that is changing so much right now.

TIA

If the saddle tree is too narrow (pinching) then you can’t correct it by padding. That would be like trying to correct a shoe that is too small for you by wearing thicker socks. :no:

Just try any saddle with a wider tree to start. Or a bareback pad until your saddle fitter gets there.

I didn’t think so, Eclectic Horseman. I had just noticed several offering that as a suggestion and couldn’t think of how that would work.

I’m trying out several different saddles and I am taking my old saddle off of consignment to see if it is a better option until I can get Mike out.

Can you post some photos like these: http://pantherrunsaddlery.com/saddle-fit-evaluation-photos/? We’d be able to offer more input if we could see how the saddle’s fitting. As Eclectic Horseman said, if the saddle’s too narrow, adding pads will only make the pinching worse. If the saddle’s sitting low and causing pressure b/c it’s too wide, however, a shim in the front may be the right fix until Mike can get to you.