Unlimited access >

Saddle for a Short Back?

Hard for me to see much as the picture is cut off behind the saddle. But one thing for sure, either the saddle runs way up on to the shoulders or the saddle was placed incorrectly there.

1 Like

The saddle doesn’t fit her. I threw it on her so I could try her. Yes, slid too far forward. Here’s the conformation shot. She is 15.1. The photo makes her legs look shorter than they are I’m 5’7, 140#

Cutter99 already mentioned them, but I went with an Allegany Mountain saddle - the Wade. It was totally custom, down to the tree because my mule is super short backed. Stacy was able to customize the tree to shorten it up so it would fit her and me. It was around $2600 fully custom.

2 Likes

If your saddle fit her properly and stayed in place it might have been alright. My daughters mare is small, shorter backed but she used an old Abetta Endurance I have with a 17 inch seat ( gift from my husband had no idea about seat size) and it was a bit big length wise but fit her well and caused no issues .

The saddle was too big for my daughter so she got a newer Abetta 16 inch and it does fit better length wise. It may not be hard to fit her once you have the right fit.

Did it slide forward or was it placed forward? That’ll be telling on gullet width and or bar angle.

It slid

Based on my experience, too narrow of a gullet or too steep of bars or a combination of both to cause the sliding up the shoulders. Both can be compounded by too thick of a pad.
I can get by a lot with changing pads, blankets but it still can be a pain to deal with. Western saddles are more forgiving than English but there are some things that just won’t work and you’ve got to know how to pad accordingly or know what you can’t pad for compensation.

2 Likes

Agreed. I use a 5/8 wool pad with my saddle on the warmblood. Unfortunately the new horse doesn’t have a very large area to carry a saddle.

1 Like

Same saddle you tried on this horse before in the picture above? (But obviously not the same saddle pictured on your WB).

It looks long, and I am not a fan of it sitting up in the back. In my opinion, the second skirt seems extra long (the one on the bottom).

It is way too long. Fits my big warmblood but not thin little horse. I just ordered a Big Horn xw saddle. I believe it has a haflinger tree in it

Is this horse extra wide? She looks average to me. You aren’t worried it will be too wide?

Of course I haven’t seen her back from above. My appy mare could use a Haflinger saddle easily.

DP Saddlery makes a variety of western saddles that are quite short. The Quantum line that they sell are as short as 20-22 inches, plus have an easy, self adjustable width. I have one for an extremely short backed 14.2H TWH

2 Likes

Allegany Saddlery is AMAZING!!! I was looking at one of their saddles in a local tack store and called them with the serial number and was blown away by the help I received. I did not end up buying the saddle but when I am ready to add a western saddle, it will definitely be from Allegany.

3 Likes

I ended up ordering a Bowman. 26" Ling. It should arrive today. I never did order the Haflinger.

1 Like

Post a picture when you get it on him :slightly_smiling_face:

Do you happen to have a picture of this saddle?

I don’t. Try contacting Jeff Smith.
If you’re looking for a saddle that needs to fit a wide flat backed horse a Donn Leson tree is another to try and easy to get from a variety of makers.

Did you ever get this horse figured out saddle wise @Maude??