Unlimited access >

Saddle for my odd proportioned legs

I am in the market for a new saddle.
My issue is that I am very long from hip to knee but short from knee to ankle. I am sure I need a custom saddle. Every saddle I have had a demo ride in I feel like people are trying to cram me into what is available.
I don’t think any saddle I have ever owned fit me very well.
I want someone to measure my legs and sell me a saddle that fits me and my horse. Considering how much they cost this is only reasonable.
I am looking for a saddle which I can go from riding hunters and jumpers in the show ring to going out and riding hunters in the field.
Please give me your thoughts. What brands should I try?

If there is one in your area, I’d start with a good, independent, saddle fitter. An educated fitter will know about fitting saddles to riders, as well as to horses…the rider’s balance is important to horse comfort after all.

Your conformation is not all that unusual, it’s quite common for tallish women to have their thigh be longer than their calf. Short answer is that you’ll probably need something with a forward flap and the stirrup bars not set too far forward.

So you mean a saddle fitter not associated with a brand?
I will have to ask around.
Thank you for your response

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?456461-Prestige-Saddles-for-Rider-With-Long-Thigh&highlight=prestige

Topic of this thread

[QUOTE=Canaqua;7953737]

Your conformation is not all that unusual, it’s quite common for tallish women to have their thigh be longer than their calf. Short answer is that you’ll probably need something with a forward flap and the stirrup bars not set too far forward.[/QUOTE]

This. OP: most likely you are less of a unicorn than you think you are. Start by looking for a saddle with a forward flap. There are plenty out there. You may not find the exact perfect fit without going custom, but you unless you are set on custom, you should be able to find something that works just fine.

I have the same build and tried a Pessoa Heritage that fit perfectly, but was a bit out of my price range sadly. But the regular flap fit me fine and the forward was actually waaay too forward for me which might be good for you. Hope you’re successful in your search!

If you can not find an independent fitter in your area, talk to Hastilow Competition saddles. Amber one the employees has the same issue.

You probably do not need a custom saddle as there are so many different “off the rack” option now. I have a very long femur and what works for me is a saddle with stirrup bars placed far enough back so that I am not in a chair seat. The length of my thigh makes this especially important. I also like a more forward flap and a flatter seat. I’ve found several saddles that work for me that are not custom and not even terribly expensive because I bought them used.

I don’t ride hunters, I foxhunt, so I don’t know if the brands that work for me will be suitable for you. I ride in either an older County Extreme or a Kieffer (I have a Norbert Koof FL and a Hintermeyer). I have a friend who rides in a Kent & Masters and I find her saddle to be very well balanced and comfortable.

Yes and no. You aren’t a unicorn, but finding a saddle for that conformation can be hard, particularly if you are shopping used. I had a hell of a time (looked passively for a couple of years, and aggressively for several months. I also was limited by my horse’s preference for wool flocked saddles). Part of it is stirrup length, too. I prefer shorter, which puts my knee farther forward. Finding something off the rack was impossible, and I couldn’t find used options that worked all the way around.

For the record, I’m also short…my femur is stupidly long, but my tibia is ridiculously short! So, if you’re keeping score, I needed forward and short!

I went custom (County Conquest). Love it.

I do agree with getting saddle fitter out and finding out what you need to make you comfortable. It can vary a lot, depending on the rest of you and how you prefer to ride.

Same build. Custom CWD, then an Antares when the CWD rep local to me quit and I needed a new one.

If you do decide to go the custom route - I would check into Loxley by Bliss. They are custom saddles but they don’t cost as much as most custom saddles.