Saddle In Dressage Today

I read this article a few weeks ago when I got the October issue of Dressage Today and I was going to post this question then but got side tracked and never got around to it.

The article was on Para-equestrian Lauren Barwick and on page 19 there was a photo of Lauren riding. The saddle she was in looked modified to me, with maybe a second block sitting behind the thigh in addition to the traditional placement.

I think my own riding would improve with that kind of support in the saddle. Did anyone else read the article and see this photo? I would be interested in learning more about that modification, if that is what it actually was and not just my eyes playing a trick on me.
Sheilah

experiment, try it

I think I rode in a similar saddle in the Paulien Alberts clinic this week. The one I rode had a block behind the leg, like a serious jumping saddle. I think it was on velcro. The front knee/thigh blocks were on velcro, too. The horse had some spooky and otherwise non-helpful moves that jolted me. I think that the hind block was quite helpful and would suggest trying it.

I think the saddle was an albion variety. It was treeless and sat a bit low on the back of the horse in the rear. I added shims to raise the seat level for my rides.

I learned about a number of modifications and adaptions of saddlery at the clinic. I’m working on the report, so you will have more info.

The saddle was custom made with blocks in front and behind the thighs. Because of the muscle atrophy in her legs she has towels velcro to her thighs.

Wow! Piaffing,
I am sooo glad you are on this forum!
The creativity of these riders is amazing. I haven’t gotten my brain around the “stuff the breeches is legal” part yet.:lol:

Who was the saddler?

Wow, I will look out for the modification report! That will be helpful for so many of us, I would think.

I have had muscle atrophy in both my legs, more so in the right than in the left. I think having my leg held in place by blocks front and back would go a long way towards fixing my issues.
Sheilah

I also have muscle atrophy in my legs, right worse than left.

I read the article in question with amazement – If she can do that, I have no excuse!

New to this forum, glad to have found it! :winkgrin:

[QUOTE=whicker;4469903]
Who was the saddler?[/QUOTE]

Don’t know yet but I’ll email her and find out.