Saddle oils- anything vegan that works on leather?

I am allergic to neatsfoot oil. Just wondering what alternatives there are that will do a decent job of oiling my saddles and tack? It looks like there are quite a few options. I tried oiling one saddle today and wore gloves… Once it’s dry I don’t have a problem, but I can’t say I clean my tack as often as I should due to the risk of hives. Makes me thankful most of my tack is of the synthetic variety.

Would Hydrophane be safe? I’ve never tried it. I do have one dressage saddle that is brown instead of black and it definitely could use some darkening.

Has anyone tried any of the following: Olive oil, Jojoba oil, coconut oil, Macadamia oil, or Almond oil?

Otter wax:
A balanced blend of high-oleic safflower oil fortified with vitamin-e and sweet orange oils for an all-natural polish that enhances natural shine, restores original color, and revitalizes cells to strengthen dehydrated leather.

Olive oil is a good choice. Slightly warmed, it soaks into leather well. As with neatsfoot, don’t put it on too heavily, but in several light coats.

3 Likes

Are you looking for vegan specific or just something that isn’t neatsfoot? Mink oil works well also.

Personally I’m obsessed with Belvoir: https://www.carrdaymartin.com/us/leather-care/intensive-conditioning-protection/belvoir-leather-balsam-intensive-conditioner/

1 Like

Olive oil in a humid environment is a really poor idea. Ask me how I know.

Bick 4 is good stuff, as is Leather Therapy and Belvoir.

4 Likes

I wonder if I apply olive oil first and then a product containing beeswax second if it would help in a hot/humid/wet climate.

My tack stays in the house for the most part. Everything molds otherwise.

It does need to be vegan due to my allergies.

Beeswax isn’t vegan

2 Likes

I’m not allergic to beeswax. Beeswax is safe.

It is usually easier to say I am vegan then explain my allergies.

I can’t answer. I will suggest that anywhere there’s a rub, the beeswax will be disturbed and the olive oil exposed.

Oakwood saddle soap and leather conditioner aren’t vegan, but they don’t contain neatsfoot oil. They do a good job of inhibiting mold growth on leather.

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/oakwood-leather-conditioner/E015022/

Someone on Facebook suggested Leather Honey as it doesn’t contain animal products. It sounds like it should work.

I don’t know for sure what it contains, but I use Morphy oil soap. It’s meant for floors, but in the old days it was used on tack. I have a friend who is allergic to neatsfoot oil, but Murphy’s doesn’t bother

Hydrophane is my go to and has been forever. It doesn’t rot stitching and doesn’t go rancid in the heat. I have a Kieffer saddle that’s almost 50 years old that has been well used that’s still in really good shape that I’ve been oiling with Hydrophane for almost 30 years. If you’d like I can mail you a small vial of Hydrophane and you can test if you react to it before buying a bottle of it.

I wasn’t impressed with Leather Honey; it smelled like petroleum jelly to me and left sticky residue that trapped dust.

I’ve used olive oil and coconut oil. Since you have allergies it might be worth making your own? It’s really not too hard to make home made saddle soap and conditioner. I made some a few months back with tallow, but also used beeswax and coconut oil. The end product works pretty good and I know it’s safe for my hands too.