Unlimited access >

Saddle pad to correct bridging?

Hi everyone,

Basically, my question is pretty much as already stated. I have been helping my friend with a few of her horses, and I only have my own saddle that remotely fits one of them. The other saddle, while it doesn’t bridge as badly, does really jam into her lower back because the tree is so flat. I have had a saddle fitter out for my own saddle, but because of the curve to her back, he said there isn’t too much he more he can do, so it has a bit of a bridge before I put weight in the saddle. Is there any type of pad I can use to help remedy the situation? Thanks so much!

Yes. I used this on an older mare who whose back was dropping.

You need a 6 pocket shim pad. That means there is a separate shim pocket for withers, mid back, and cantle on each side. Most shim pads are only 4 pocket.

The one I got was from Total Saddle Fit through my saddle fitter. Sheepskin 6 pocket shim. Mattes also makes one. In Canada about $250.

You could also experiment with various shim materials wedged between saddle and cloth pad like the gel sole inserts for shoes.

4 Likes

Ovation also makes a 6 pocket sheepskin pad that’s like $150 - sizing runs big, but has held up well for years of daily use!

3 Likes

I used a six pocket Contender II BOT/ThinLine saddle pad with TWO ThinLine bridging shims in the center pocket on a horse with the worse sway back combined with croup high that I had ever ridden. I was using my Pegasus Butterfly saddle that works best on a horse with a flattish back.

He did fine with this set up and my saddle was stable.

Since the Contender II saddle pad is no longer made I am switching to the ThinLine Trifecta six pocket shimmable pad.

2 Likes

I would use a shim that you can place exactly where you need. Check the www.balanceinternational.com site for how they address bridging.

A properly place shim shouldn’t shift at all, especially in the middle or wither area under the saddle. The pads with pockets to ensure that 100%, for sure, but they’re also pretty $$, so standalone shims are something to consider.

2 Likes

Prolite also makes a 6 pocket shim pad. I have one and the 4 pocket as well. Absolutely indispensible and have held up to years of hard use

1 Like