Unlimited access >

Saddle Pads 3/4" or Less Thick?

I need a pretty pad no thicker than a total of 3/4". It needs to have a Contoured topline and cutout at the wither. 31" or 32" along the topline. I’m currently using a 5/8" felt w/contour & cutout but they are ugly. Any suggestions?

Buy a thin blanket to go over it as a topper?

3 Likes

^^^ This is a good idea.

Could you try a pretty saddle blanket to go over the top of your felt pad? That’s what we do at shows. They aren’t contoured, but the better ones have a nice drape and I’ve never had them not fit a horse over the withers, especially when there’s a proper felt pad underneath. You can look at beautiful show pads (saddle blankets) all day.

Here are two of my favorite sites:

1 Like

These are gorgeous! Too pricey for me though. I don’t need a show pad, just something prettier than tan or gray for ranchy stuff. Thanks!

Something like this? Don’t know why it won’t show the pads on here but just click the link. I like Reinsman.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=a6d44b0c-3fdc-473c-8886-45c57052f7dd&itemguid=f9e35b7c-a746-49ee-a6c3-18fbf30a029f&sfb=1&grp=T000&grpc=T800&grpsc=T880&sp=e&utm_content=48157&ccd=IFH003&ccd=IFH003&grp=T000&grpc=T700&grpsc=T790&gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhL6pBhDjARIsAGx8D58XA8U8IoUmDM9AP7ZoKWBtLmAyXh9GS3vIHQ8dKWe_qEHJMAWLvFUaAr-LEALw_wcB

Yeah, they’re an addiction. One for every show shirt. Which are also addictive.

1 Like

Impact Gel has exactly what you’re looking for. The woven pads with felt bottom contour spine is what I would recommend. I have 2, the Lorretta linked below, and the Funfetti Scoop. Loads of compliments on these pads. My Mom borrowed my Funfetti Scoop for a fun show and got tons of compliments. They are absolutely worth the money!

Loretta Lynn

Edited to add: the felt bottom contour is .6in or 3/5. What you’re using now is .625, so you could even put something thin on top if you really wanted to.

2 Likes

Very nice! I’m going to contact them. The entire pad thickness can’t be more than a total of 3/4". A 34x32 would be perfect

We also do blankets over our contoured Classic Equine felts.

Show N Glo, CuttinUp Show Blankets, and Saguaro are some of my fav blankets.

1 Like

5 Star pads are, in my opinion, the very best on the market and worth every penny. This is the one I use for my super wide/round and short-backed Arabians: https://5starequineproducts.com/products/basic-pads/the-all-around-standard1. It comes in contoured, cutback, or “gullet hole” style. You can get it in thicknesses ranging from 1/2” to 1”, and multiple colors (even custom) are available. Honestly, though, I just use the plain beige one more often and not. Ranch Horse shows don’t care one bit about a pretty pad. I bought a lovely patterned blanket to use over it at shows, but it is too long for my ponies, so I’m going to resell it and just stick with the 5 Star.

2 Likes

Well, you know this is my favorite. The split wither makes it so easy to adjust after saddle is up.
I sorta like the plain grey and black. But they have colors!

3 Likes

Lol. Yes, I know you love this pad😏