Unlimited access >

Saddle pads similar to original BOT

The original now discontinued, BOT, AP square pads are the perfect size and shape for our horse/saddle combo. Low wither wide back Warmblood with an extra extra long slightly forward jump saddle. The new design BOT pad looks far too curvy along the spine.

What do you suggest to try; that is at least 24” spine with about a 20” drop?

I really like the soft flannel feeling lining material. *Some of our other favorite schooling pads are so old the stitching is decomposing. Think original Baker no longer made and suede cloth Tolkat no longer made for example.

TIA

You might want to consider the Fenwick saddle pads (www.fenwickequestrian.com). They have a 26" spine and you can select 20", 22" and 24" drops.

I have been using the BOT/ThinLine Contender II AP saddle pad for many years and I have bought at least 4. BUT I got tired of riding the lesson horses who felt stiff to me right behind the saddle which. This did improve with good work but the other students tended to re-stiffen the horses’ loins. So I got the Fenwick Liquid Titanium Western saddle pad which is long enough to cover the loin and I was very pleased the two rides I used it before the Christmas+ Covid expansion. The horse moved more fluently from the first step and seemed a little bit more cheerful with my riding.

The Fenwick fabric has the same type of far-infrared radiation that the BOT fabric has. Based on those two rides the horse was subtly looser and happier in the Fenwick pad right under the saddle.

I am planning on buying more of the Fenwick pads.

I do not know if their square AP pad will be flat enough for your horse. It does have good wither clearance.

Thank you.

I’m not necessarily looking for a therapeutic saddle pad. More so looking for good quality and ample size that will not shrink to a pony size after a cool water wash.

Yes the Fenwick pad appears too curvy over the top for this horse.