Unlimited access >

Saddle Protection?

Hey there, everyone! I recently got my first english saddle, an All Purpose Collegiate Convertible. I bought it used, but it was in super good condition, no wear at all. It’s really soft leather, no scratches or rubs and I want to keep it that way! I rode in it for the first time yesterday, and hoping to protect the flaps from stirrup leather rubs I used nylon stockings to protect the leather. I’m afraid it did more harm then good though, very light dark marks showed up after the ride! :eek: So what to do? Maybe buy sheepskin covers, or put the leathers under the flap? The previous owner rode in it for a whole summer and there were no rubs, how did she do it? Maybe my leg isn’t as steady as hers . . .

The seat also, is the softest leather I’ve ever felt. It’s sooo easy to scratch and nick, and I like to ride in jeans. Should I invest in a seat saver? If so, any recommendations?

One more thing, the barn I ride at has a tack room like a cave, diffidently NOT a climate controlled environment. I’m getting a good saddle cover, but do you think that’s good enough? Any thoughts?

If you all think I’m crazy and over protective of this thing, please let me know. Maybe I should just not stress about it. Thanks so much for your help in advance!

I wouldn’t ride in jeans, but maybe your seat saver idea is a good one. The seams of jeans will rub the seat seams.

Overall though, I would stress less. Make sure your stirrup leathers are clean, but aside from that I wouldn’t do anything. Saddles are supposed to show some wear. I think putting the leathers under your flaps or covers on them might affect your riding even if subtly, and you wont be able to do that at shows.

[QUOTE=CHT;8207815]
I wouldn’t ride in jeans, but maybe your seat saver idea is a good one. The seams of jeans will rub the seat seams.

Overall though, I would stress less. Make sure your stirrup leathers are clean, but aside from that I wouldn’t do anything. Saddles are supposed to show some wear. I think putting the leathers under your flaps or covers on them might affect your riding even if subtly, and you wont be able to do that at shows.[/QUOTE]

So you don’t think I should ride in jeans even with the seat saver? Do you think a seat saver would effect my riding? I’m wondering if maybe I might slip around in it more . . . ?

I think you’re probably right, I’ll make sure to keep everything clean, and try not to worry.

[QUOTE=CHT;8207815]

Overall though, I would stress less. Make sure your stirrup leathers are clean, but aside from that I wouldn’t do anything. Saddles are supposed to show some wear. I think putting the leathers under your flaps or covers on them might affect your riding even if subtly, and you wont be able to do that at shows.[/QUOTE]

So you don’t think I should ride in jeans even with the seat saver? Do you think a seat saver would effect my riding? I’m wondering if maybe I might slip around in it more . . . ?

I think you’re probably right, I’ll make sure to keep everything clean, and try not to worry.

Jeans are horrible for saddles, especially saddles with soft leather. Time to ride in britches.

As for the seat saver, personally, not a fan, as I think the affect your seat and don’t allow you to sit deep enough when you need. Your best options are no jeans, a cover when not being used, and keep it clean with a quality saddle soap.

No jeans!

I’m not a fan of seat savers, but I don’t see anything wrong with them other than the look. Still no jeans, even if you use a seat saver.

Otherwise, keep your saddle clean and condition it lightly once in a while. Try not to ride in it in the pouring rain, or use a rain cover. Keep it covered when not in use. If you aren’t going to ride in it for a while, it still may need a cleaning or conditioning even if it isn’t being used.

Jeans will kill your saddle. Ride in breeches only.

OP, maybe go out and buy some breeches that look like jeans. Several companies are making things like this. It may be a happy medium between the two.

Ouch! Not what I wanted to hear, but I suppose you are right. I’m going to try to find some jean breeches as SnicklefritzG suggested.

So skip the seat saver and ride in breeches? Thanks for your help everyone!

Ride in breeches, not jeans.

Other than that, just ride in the thing and take good care of it. Don’t over condition it. Ride in it in the rain (just clean it right after). Sweat in it. USE it.

There’s nothing more beautiful than the patina on a nice broken in, high quality, well taken care of saddle.

Thanks AmmyByNature, I think that’s good advise!

Chaps where the back of them rubs on the saddle seam is hard on saddles, too.