Unlimited access >

Saddle rec for beginner eventers who are leasing

In this scenario, would it be better to get an inexpensive all purpose for now or try to find separate lower-end jump and dressage saddles?

After scrapping plans to lease a green OTTB (detailed in an earlier thread), my husband and I have found an eventing barn that has some experienced horses for lease.

We’re still test riding and also trying to decide if we’ll start by sharing one horse or lease two horses.

If we end up leasing a lesson horse, BO recommends we consider buying our own saddle as there may not always be a lesson saddle available when we ride.

Since we’re just getting into eventing and don’t yet own a horse, I don’t think we’d want to spend more than a few hundred dollars on a saddle yet.

BO mentioned an AP she used up through prelim (can’t remember the brand). I rode in it for one of our lessons but didn’t find it terribly comfortable. I may try it again now that we might be in “shop mode” to try to figure out what exactly bothered me.

I think my husband and I would be fine sharing saddle(s) for now. Though I’m 5’4" and he’s 6’, we both have long legs and have been comfortable in the same 16.5 or 17 saddles in our H/J lessons (him usually on the latter though he says he prefers the 16.5).

Any suggestions?

First of all, you should be looking at used saddles.

Perfectly fine to use one saddle for all phases when you start.

I would recommend a jumping saddle that will allow you to lengthen the stirrups 4 holes without running into thigh rolls, or an all purpose that is PRIMARILY intended for jumping.

The biggest difference between a jumping saddle and a dressage saddle is not the shape of the flaps, but the relationship between the shape of the seat and the location of the stirrup bars- the stirrup bars are further forward on a jumping saddle than on a dressage saddle.

If you use a jumping saddle for dressage, once you REALLY lengthen the stirrups, the saddle will try to put you into a chair sear. But if you only lengthen the stirrrup a hole or two, it is not a problem.

Conversely, if you use a dressage saddle for jumping, it will try to put you into a perch, which is more of a problem (potentially dangerous).

4 Likes

I agree with the above post. Find a used saddle that fits the horse. Hopefully you and your husband are roughly the same size, otherwise one of you will not be comfortable riding.

Also, forget the AP saddle. Buy a jump saddle and use it for all the phases. You can easily get away with that in the lower levels. The AP saddles, IMO, are junk.

1 Like

Yes, we’d definitely be looking for used saddles.

BO said if we look for one that’s wool flocked then it can typically be adjusted for various horses using pads, so I’m assuming we should just look for a medium width?

Any particular brands we should look for in a jumping saddle that might pass for dressage as well? Or what descriptions should we should look for?

Since we’d be buying used, returning something that doesn’t work wouldn’t really be possible.

Actually, with a used saddle, you can usually take it home and try it for a couple of rides (up to a week around here), and bring it back if it doesn’t work. And if you find out later that it doesn’t work out, you can usually turn around and sell it for about the same, less the commission.

With a new saddle you can put it on the horse (protected by saddle pad etc.) but if you really RIDE in it, and then decide it doesn’t work, you may not be able t return it.

I would second the opinion that most AP saddles are junk. I’ve never seen one that put a rider in a good position. I currently only have a jump saddle and it is sufficient for my flat work. My coach rode in a jump saddle for all phases until she started competing Prelim too.

Do any of the lease horses have their own saddle or do they share saddles with other lesson horses? If they have a particular saddle and you like it, I’d probably start looking at that brand. That should also give you an idea as far as width. Wool flocked saddles can be adjusted but you can’t put a wide horse in a medium tree saddle, adjust the flocking and expect a good fit. As far as returning used saddles, most tack stores that sell used saddles on consignment allow you to have a trial period. This allows you to ride a few times and see how both you and your horse like the saddle.

Since you are pretty new to horses and saddle fitting is truly an art, I’d really recommend working with a saddle fitter. If there is a consignment saddle shop in your area, that might be a good place to start. A lot of shop owners have a good eye for saddle fit and know how different brands fit differently shaped horses.

3 Likes

A wool flocked saddle can be adjusted by adjusting the wool in the panels. In addition, you can use pads, BUT pads only make a saddle wider, so be careful about buying a Medium. There is no such thing as a standard tree measurement, so you want a saddle that fits generously. Most of my horses go in a MW or W tree or in a tree that people say runs wide.

A used saddle will definitely give you more bang for you buck. And you can ride in it and see if the balance point works for you. Don’t discount some of the adjustable tree saddles – while interchangeable gullets won’t make a saddle fit every horse, it can give you some future flexibility. I keep a Wintec Pro Jump for rainy day rides and it fits both my MW TB and my W draft x. Thorowgood makes some nice saddles with interchangeable gullets and I think there are also options from Pessoa and Collegiate.

Just make sure that when you sit in the saddle you feel like it puts you in the “sweet spot”. You may be out of shape or get tired, but you should never feel like you are fighting your tack. If you want to jump, also (if possible) don’t forget to try the saddle over a couple of fences. I’ve tried a couple that felt fine on the flat but were a disaster over jumps. What I mean by finding the right balance point is that when you sit in the saddle, you are naturally balanced over your seat bones, your leg falls under you without having to pull it or push it, and when you jump, your leg stays firm (your leg doesn’t swing forward or back). It is SO MUCH easier to ride in a saddle that fits you. However, keep in mind the saddle must also fit the horse. If your saddle is too narrow, it will tip you back onto the cantle, If it is too wide, it will tip you forward.

Very few A/P saddles have a forward enough flap to event and many have a deep seat. Some people like them but if I would buy a close contact saddle with a flatter seat if I only could buy one. That’s what I had when I started and it worked fine.

1 Like

This is why you want to avoid most A/P saddles because they tend to be dressage oriented and it does not put you in a good position for jumping.

I also doubt your 6’ husband really fits comfortably in a 16.5 (although he may like that particular saddle better)-- it’s not just seat size but the length of your thigh, and many adults of average height or taller need a 17.5 or 18.

9 Likes

If you are only going to get one saddle, it is definitely better to get the jumping saddle. Its WAY easier to “do dressage” in a jump saddle than it is to jump in a dressage saddle…well, actually I’ve never jumped in a dressage saddle, but I can only imagine LOL. As someone else mentioned above, if you lengthen your stirrups too much in a jump saddle, it can tend to put you in a chair seat - meaning that the saddle will encourage you to stick your legs out in front of you. When my dressage saddle was being reflocked, I saw a picture of me riding with long stirrups in my jump saddle … OMG my leg was way out by my mares shoulder!

Yes, wool saddles can be tweaked where as foam typically can not. I’m not going to get into the whole wool versus foam debate, ask 100 different people and you’ll probably get a 50/50 answer as to which is best. I actually have two jump saddles at the moment - one wool and one foam (trying to sell one!). It’s important to realize that not all tree sizes are created equally…my wool flocked saddle is a county innovation in an XN, and that model notoriously runs wide. My foam saddle is a voltaire lexington in a medium tree. Oh, and on top of it, my medium tree Voltaire is likely padded slightly differently than the other medium tree voltaires. Saddle fitting is so fun… ha ha ha.

I think buying used is your best option. They are significantly cheaper and you are usually able to get a trial period on a used saddle. Whatever you get, I’d HIGHLY recommend getting it checked out by a professional saddle fitter. One of the worst things you can do for your horse is to ride them in an ill fitting saddle…it can cause a plethora of problems down the line. If you get wool the saddle fitter can also tweak it for you to provide a better fit.

Good luck!

Or if you have a big butt. Ask me how I know :lol:

2 Likes

Oh, me too! :smiley:

Tangent-

I only have experience with one All Purpose saddle, a late 1960s Passier. And that one is definitely a jumping saddle with longer, wider flaps so you could lengthen the stirrups without running out of flap.

It put me in the right place for jumping, and put me is a chair seat for dressage. It was my DRESSAGE instructor, not my jumping instructor, who said “you will find it easier if you get a different saddle” for dressage.

At one point I had the AP Passier, and a Crosby Mk VII, and not one, but two, jumping instructors said the Passier put me in a better position.

But that was built a long time ago and I have no experience with modern AP saddles.

I’m pretty fond of old Stübben Siegfrieds, but they’re a love-it-or-hate-it proposition for most people. Technically I’m not sure whether they were billed as all-purpose or jumping, but the cut of most of them I’d call jumping, with enough flap that you have some flexibility. They fit a lot of horses, there’s not much to get in the way, and they wear like iron.

1 Like

Middleburg Tack Exchange has a large selection of used saddles. You can have them shipped and try them. Shipping can get expensive so I would try as many of the lesson saddles as possible to try to narrow it down. I also second a jump saddle over most AP saddles. I also don’t see how a 6’ man would be comfortable in a 16.5 or 17. I would think you both would do better in at least a 17.5 especially if you have long legs.

Spending only a few hundred dollars on a quality saddle is going to limit you. Be careful that what you finally buy is actually a decent quality. IMO if you are getting a wool flocked saddle for only a few hundred dollars it likely has a very narrow channel and the flocking is so compressed you will need to pay to have it reflocked. You may do better to wait a bit longer and save up to get something closer to $1,000 as that will give you a better chance to find a better quality saddle.

2 Likes

Another voice for getting a close contact jump saddle. Lower level dressage in a jump saddle is no problem. I just used a brown bridle with a brown saddle for dressage, but you can always get a black jump saddle if it bothers you (it won’t bother most judges though).

I once read that All Purpose just means No Purpose and I’m inclined to agree.

2 Likes

Thanks for everyone’s input! Sounds like a used jump saddle is the way to go.

I found a consignment store in our area that sells used saddles and will let you return them within 7 days if it doesn’t end up working.

We tried a few different options in the store this weekend. Sure enough it looks like my husband’s best fit is closer to 17.5/18 and I’m closer to a 17, but 17.5 could work. Fortunately our upper to lower leg ratios are similar (surprisingly we’re only ~3" apart in total leg length)

They had 2 used HDR saddles that seemed to fit us best–a Lumina and an Advantage for $800 and $600, respectively. Oddly enough the Lumnia 17.5 still looks a bit big for me but the Advantage 17.5 was better.

It seems like HDRs don’t have the greatest reviews, though, so now I’m wondering if we have to keep looking. Of course, we still will need to make sure it fits whatever horse we end up on.

The main challenge is that we’re both long from hip to knee so we need to find a saddle with enough forward flap that our knees won’t go over once we’re taking higher jumps. Several models we tried didn’t have enough flap.

For everyday riding you can add a seat saver to the saddle when you ride to take up some of the space. I had a saddle I shrunk out of and needed to wait a few months for the replacement custom saddle to be made. I was able to use a very thick sheepskin seat saver to take up some of the saddle size. It helped me quite a bit. It would have been fairly easy to take it off and on the saddle between riders. I don’t think you can show with a seat saver.

From what I’ve read the HDR saddles vary in quality, but if you can find a good one . . .

I’m very long from my knee to my thigh. If you can find one, the Jeffries JMX is a superb saddle. They aren’t made any more but sometimes you find them used for about $900. They are very forward but nicely balanced. The quality is really nice for the money and they are very balanced. I’ve seen them advertised in Facebook. I bought one for my TB and liked it so much I bought a second one for my draft X. They have a buffalo leather version that’s really nice.

Another saddle to look for is the Bates Caprilli Eventer saddle. That is an older model and it has a more forward & longer flap than the close contact versions. They are harder to find but you can usually buy them for under $1k and they have interchangeable gullets if that interests you. I have one and it fits my leg nicely.

1 Like

Consider a Thorowgood or Kent and Masters. They’re wool flocked, have a changeable gullet system and blocks that can be moved around to accommodate different leg positions. Very reasonable. They fit a variety of horses.

On a second note, a 16.5 is not a saddle that I would ever recommend to someone 6 ft. The balance of the saddle, the flap and the sweet spot in the seat would not be suitable. I would be more inclined to recommend a 17.5 at the very least.

2 Likes