Unlimited access >

Saddle Scratches?!?!

Hi guys! I seem to have a problem - and I’m freaking out! Okay, so I put my saddle on the saddle rack in my barn, and I left for 5 minutes. I came back, and the barn cat was stretching his legs, and scratching my saddle! My poor baby delgrange saddle is now all scratched up in one spot on the right saddle flap, and I don’t know what to do! I’m really freaking out. If you guys have any suggestions, please comment!

Thank you:)

Are the scratches deep? Or is it something that just some oil would get rid of?

They are pretty deep - oil didn’t really do much!

The conditioners that have wax in them, like Lederbalsam, help fill in and smooth out the scratches.

NO conditioners with wax. It will clog the pores in the leather. Send me a picture. Kirsten@delgrangesaddles.com and I will get Mr. Delgrange to tell us what it the best thing to do.

You might be able to get the scratches boned out?

(Also, saddle cover, naughty cat :wink: )

[QUOTE=Loopy;7479123]
You might be able to get the scratches boned out?

(Also, saddle cover, naughty cat :wink: )[/QUOTE]

Home cat did that to my old Dover circuit elite when I first purchased it. Said cat is now de-clawed. I would have a chat with the barn about allowing cats in the tack room if they have the racks spaced far apart so as to attract the cats. Even a cover won’t fully protect from cat claws.

I usually lay my helmet bag looped securely on top of a pad on top of my covered saddle to discourage any cat contact. New barn has saddle racks so close together that the cat can’t get to them.

NO conditioners with wax. It will clog the pores in the leather. Send me a picture. Kirsten@delgrangesaddles.com and I will get Mr. Delgrange to tell us what it the best thing to do.

I sent you a picture! Thank you:)

[QUOTE=LTLFLDF;7479107]
NO conditioners with wax. It will clog the pores in the leather. Send me a picture. Kirsten@delgrangesaddles.com and I will get Mr. Delgrange to tell us what it the best thing to do.[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity why do you recommend no wax conditioners?

Ugh! This is one reason my saddle lives in its cover and inside a case.

It is also how I got my first saddle: it was out on trial with someone else and her cat scratched the seat of it so she couldn’t return it. She didn’t like it, I did…and paid about 1/2 of the price of it because of the scratch. It never proved to be a problem as after oiling you couldn’t even tell.

Good luck!