Unlimited access >

Saddle Seat/ASB/Morgan/Arabian/Hackney Saddle-type progress thread

Since I’ve completely dominated the poor gal’s thread on her new horse, in an attempt to NOT continue to do that I thought maybe it would be good if we all had a thread of our own, since we don’t really have a section.

I’m just getting my horses re-started after a long vacation - my horses are all at home. So we’ve just started lining again, but the heat wave is putting a damper on things. I tried to line the 10 year old without his crupper & breastplate because it’s just so hot I thought he’d be more comfortable with fewer things to cause sweat, but when he gets going and gets excited he makes everything slip off to the side. Thankfully he’s good minded, so he stood nicely while I fixed all the things. Lesson learned - don’t try to improvise too much!

The 10 year old has a lot of motion with just a regular keg shoe, not collected at all, his knees are about level (and can go above level at times). A former trainer thought he’d be a nice Show Pleasure horse, but we shall see. Right now my focus with him is just on fitness - I think once he gets strong enough we’ll have potentially a LOT more fire and motion (which makes me wonder if he’s actually game enough to be a park pleasure horse, I don’t think he’ll make a trimmed horse). I don’t have a jog cart, so we have to do everything either in the saddle or on the ground. I own a show cart but it isn’t here at the farm. I’d hate to use it to jog, but maybe that’s the right answer!

The 8 year old is more up-headed naturally and very pretty, but really doesn’t have the fire that the 10 year old has, although he may surprise me, he is barefoot right now because he was a really awkward and very tall horse - he kept tearing off shoes just existing. I’ve seen some signs of some impressiveness as he finally matures, so maybe he’ll be something more. When I got him, he was very stuck and would just plant himself and grow roots when he didn’t understand. So my plan with him is to work him in such a way that he gets more confident working and doesn’t feel overfaced (I think someone overfaced him when he was young).

My hope is just to do local shows and enjoy the time with them. It’s a very lonely journey, working at home, so I’d love to hear from more Saddle Seat/Saddle-type breed folks as to what you’re doing and what your progress is like!

6 Likes

I’m celebrating being able to put a fly mask on the mare I got last fall with no fuss.

Seriously, she’s a lot more user-friendly than when she came, and adores having her face rubbed.

9 Likes

Hey - those are some good celebrations! You said she has less handling than you were expecting - so that’s a big deal! What are your plans for her (other than the fly masking)?

1 Like

Nice to hear of your activities and goals. You said “it’s a very lonely journey, working at home” and boy can I relate to that! I can also relate to your long lining without a crupper, lol. One of my minis I can do this with, the other not so much. I only have minis right now and a sec A welsh, but I call them my mini-Morgans. One mini is bay, the other black and if I squint just right I see a see teeny Morgans and that’s the closest I’ll get to my dream of owning one.

2 Likes

I would, for her sake more than mine, like to get her started under saddle. I’m not getting any younger, and if she needs a new home in the future, it will be better if she’s trained.
Probably will end up sending her to someone else to start. I don’t bounce well any more, and she’s got quite a teleportation move.

I also do want to breed her to my stallion–she’s a good match for him pedigree-wise, and he also isn’t getting any younger, without having a descendent in his breeding group.
(Davenport/Al Khamsa, for those interested).
But I’m in no screaming hurry for that.

9 Likes

I’ve always wanted a welsh! I love ponies but unfortunately was never really pony-sized (I’m tall and was tall as a kid). Eventually I’ll probably get a hackney to drive - they are so dang cute I just want to squeeze their little fiery dragon cheeks.

I love Morgans too - one of my most fun horses was 1/2 Morgan (but looked all Morgan). Smart as a whip, though a little more laid back than my saddlebreds. I believe his half was sport-bred.

Are you showing your minis & welsh?

1 Like

I feel that. Nothing like that Arabian teleportation. She’s gorgeous and looks nice and solid!

2 Likes

I show my minis at the local shows, in-hand classes only and trail classes. I did show one in pleasure driving the summer before covid and had a great time.
The welsh is 26 now and he stays home and does on-line agility classes and thinks he’s pretty special. I showed him in halter classes and showmanship for years, he’s a ham and really enjoyed his time showing. He’s too darn smart for his own good, has obstinate moments and is very opinionated but once you sort that out he’s kinda fun to work with.

I always wanted a Hackney, too. I think they would be too hot for me though.

1 Like

I long lined my hackney pony naked with just the lines this morning, no surcingle, crupper. He’s probably the most fit and I work with him fairly consistently to keep him on his best behavior for the kids. I work him Mon/Wed/ Fri. He’s so much fun. Everyone needs a hackney pony.

My ASB doesn’t have the motion issue up front but has gotten some really nice hock motion with dressage and hill work. He’s my T/Th/Sat/Sun horse. I long line him naked as well, but it’s way harder than with a 12.2 pony. I would eventually like to show him in hunter classes at breed shows but he really doesn’t have the motion for it.

5 Likes

They come in all different flavors, I love love love mine. He knows when to turn it up and when he needs to take care of the kids. He’s a retired road pony. He can trot a hole in the ground.

5 Likes

Road Pony :smiley:! I bet he’s lots of fun! The Hackney classes were always my favorite classes to watch at the shows when I was young. Sitting up in the stands at Deerfield Fair whooping it up every Fall . . . good memories.

2 Likes

Now he prefers the slow life. My son rides him to the mailbox and around the farm. He’s a good egg as long as he isn’t hitched. :joy:

13 Likes

The working hunter classes are making a comeback - don’t know if you jump at all. I really wish they had a more “hunter” hunter classes. But I am seeing a variety do relatively well here locally. It does depend on the judge(s). At Bridlespur they had a sport horse friendly judge, and that definitely helps matters. I’m also liking seeing the introduction of the ranch division. I hope it stays handy.

We have to develop more carry behind (in my 10 year old), because we have a LOT of push. His dressage training has really helped, and I use a lot of that in the lines - we do shoulder in etc. although I’m not the best at it yet while walking (sometimes I feel like I’m lucky to just stay on my feet and not get tangled - I use shorter driving reins not the super long pulley reins because I would never manage those well lol). My plan after this heat wave is to drive him outside the farm, where we do have some hills. That’ll be a first since he’s only ever lined in the arena (I’m hoping it gives him some brain stimulation too!).

But, the 110 degree heat index is keeping me inside just theorizing about our training plan…sigh

1 Like

He is a fabulous jumper, me not so much. I’m comfortable around 3’ but never had access to horse/lessons for higher.

I’m still going to take him as I think he is what a ASB hunter should look like. I don’t care about a ribbon.

5 Likes

My newish Arabian mare is 15 yo and “broke” but not very well trained. She has steering, brakes, and a few tricks like sidepassing and turn on forehand/haunches, but she goes very hollow and didn’t have a clue about lifting her back.

But (no surprise to the Arabian fans!) she’s smart, willing, and was beginning to figure it out quickly before I had some health problems and had to stop riding.

She can be looky and snorty at times but she’s level-headed underneath her occasional drama queen act. And I’m thrilled about how good she is with kids.

Hot horses can be very cool. :grin:

14 Likes

She is gorgeous.

1 Like

You guys are making me miss my Hackney pony. To be honest, I already miss him every day, and he’s been gone since 2012. He frequently had me in fear for my life when driving (he was a bolter), but he was a snuggle bunny when he wasn’t dragging me around the neighborhood. I wouldn’t say he was particularly smart, but he was so darned adorable. DH once suggested we fire a horse sitter because she looked at this pony and went “meh.” DH said anyone who wasn’t in love with this pony must not really like horses, and therefore shouldn’t be horsesitting. I had to agree, and we didn’t use her again.

Rebecca

7 Likes

She is adorable! I love how these breeds seem to take to children!

2 Likes

Good on ya! Besides - if the judging is correct, manners should be more important than motion in that class.

I’ve got motion but manners are a bit of a struggle. We are ok if other horses are not in the ring, but add more horses to the ring and we become a bit more exciting. Containable generally, but that’s why I waver a bit on divisions. He did do HCP but I think his general exuberance around the canter in company knocked him lower in the ribbons. He has been known to do some leaping in the air that looks a bit dramatic - probably best tolerated in park. I have yet to remove that from his equation although it’s possible that we could eventually do so.

I’ve never been a saddle seat rider, though I’ve taken some lessons, so it’s a new adventure for me. And I do have the question of whether I can sit all that leaping about in one of those saddles :laughing:

1 Like

I’m not an advocate of breeding just anything, but she is a very, very nice mare. I’m almost feeling guilty that I have a mare that is (IMO) such a nice representative of the breed, but that I won’t be breeding her.

Honestly, if it looks like my health problems are going to interfere with my ability to ride in the future, I’d try to find her a home where she’d be bred. (I’ll reach out to you to help find her a home if I hit that point within the next year or so, when she’s still theoretically breedable. :grin:)

2 Likes