Unlimited access >

Saddle shopping: older new saddle, is panel integrity an issue?

I’m still on the saddle hunt…never as much fun as it sounds, sigh.

I just found an extremely well-priced high-end French saddle that’s brand new. Of course, there’s a reason it’s priced well–it’s a 2004 that has been sitting, unridden in. Basically, I think this is a great deal, BUT…should I be worried about the integrity of the foam panels? I’ve ridden in saddles older than this one that were used that had foam panels with plenty of life left in them, but I thought it was a question worth asking since so many of you are way more knowledgeable than me. :grinning: Anything else I should be wary of for a new saddle that has been sitting, unused and unridden in, for 17 years?

I bought a 2007 in the same circumstance- a bit if an odd demo that fits me like a glove

The panels are great. The seat is a little less cushy than the newer models but I think that’s par for the course.

If the saddle has been stored in a climate controlled environment, certainly test the panels (press into them and make sure you don’t leave dents, visually examine them to ensure they’re symmetrical, be suspicious if one feels softer than the other, etc.) but they wouldn’t be my first concern. Has someone been taking care of it this whole time? Most definitely check the billets and stitching for dry rot.

Thanks to both of you. As far as I can tell it’s been sitting in a tack store or otherwise stored (this isn’t a private sale). I called the store to ask about condition and they just said it looks “new.” It definitely hasn’t been conditioned or anything while it’s been sitting–you can visually tell it’s been untouched.