Unlimited access >

Saddle suggestions? with photos

6 year old horse changing pretty fast. Had a saddle fit to him a month ago that is now much too narrow. Looking to get something inexpensive to get through to spring before ordering custom. Any brand or model suggestions? I need an 18” seat and a narrow twist. The pic with a saddle on is a thorn hill Vienna closest fit in the barn but 20” seat is too uncomfortable for me. He has a forward girth groove and big shoulder big mover

Have you considered treeless (or soft tree). I bought a Heather Moffett Vogue when I was legging up my mare after I’d been injured and she got too fat for her treed saddle. I liked it so much I still ride in it.

I have not ridden in a treeless saddle. I am worried that it feel too wide for me. I prefer a fairly narrow twist.

For a short term solutions, I recommend Thorowgoods. Fits most horses reasonably well and inexpensive. Plus they are adjustable.

3 Likes

The HM saddle I have feels exactly like my treed saddle. I do agree that some of the brands are like riding a barrel.

Why not a Vienna in a smaller seat size? IIRC, the Vienna is supposed to be similar to Passier Grand Gilbert, which tend to be inexpensive used, and might be more comfortable.

2 Likes

For narrow twist saddles for wide horses, I recommend Albion, Bourne, Black Country (one kind, the others have super wide twists, sorry I can’t remember what it was), and Frank Baines. Trilogy too but I think they will be too flat for your guy. I would look at Bourne and Frank Baines.

Thanks everyone. Any opinion on Tekna or letek? I am just so far from everything and our local store has a letek that seems like a possibility. I have been scouring marketplace and nothing within 2 hours looks like it will work without the saddle fitter and she is not back until spring.

Take a peek over at Bua saddles. Narrow twist with a tree that can fit most horses.

I don’t own a horse so I don’t have the saddle, but this is one that is first on my list if I do get a horse.

I had my guy in a MW Frank Baines (Aires de Haute) and really loved it but needed to size up to an 18.5". I’m currently riding in a Detente Isis but the Frank Baines has a lovely narrow twist that I do miss!