Unlimited access >

Saddles Decorations: Piping, Bling, Cantle

I peered through some old threads but looks like most are several years old. I’m placing an order for a new saddle soon and am undecided if I want any decorative extras.

It will be a black saddle. So far I’ve considered no decorations, a bit of black patent piping (patent isn’t my fav on bridles but for saddle piping might be fun without being too loud), a crocodile panel on the cantle (also in black), silvery / grey piping, or pink piping.

Not terribly concerned about resale. It is what it is.

Show me your favorites! Tell me your thoughts!

I have blue piping. It has not held up under where your legs go so it looks a bit shabby when I’m not sitting in it but the rest is fine so when I’m in the saddle its good.

2 Likes

About the piping, I don’t have it on a saddle but I do have it on my harnesses and it does not hold up at the wear points where the reins rest.

1 Like

I think piping and fun cantle designs are beautiful on new saddles, but I have seen it wear out pretty fast. I wouldn’t want to have a saddle that’s only a few years old start to look worn, so I opted for plain black. :confused:

1 Like

I also think worn or flashy piping might detract from resale value.

1 Like

I’m not concerned with resale. But I am concerned with some sort of decoration looking dingy or worn, as that would be unpleasant to my own eye.

1 Like

How old is yours?

I would go with a saddle plate from Swanky Saddle.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Those are beautiful.

I got piping that matches my horse’s color. My saddle is 3 years old now but we’ve been on stall rest for the past almost year so it’s only been used for 2 years. The piping is wearing already. I do have patent on the cantle and that looks nice without being too much! I love those saddle plates, really beautiful!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. Sorry bout your horse though. I know how tough it is when they are hurt / sick for a long period. :cry:

I’m in love with those saddle plates in rose gold.

1 Like

I’m not affiliated with Swanky Saddle but note that they will not be filling orders till after shoe season

2 Likes

I bought a used jump saddle with royal blue piping. I have only had it for 2 years, but the piping still looks good. I didn’t really want piping, but wasn’t going to say no to a saddle that otherwise fit my criteria. It’s actually more subtle than I thought it would be.

1 Like

6 years old

1 Like

I bought a used saddle that had patent piping on it and I didn’t mind the look. It was a 2018 model and held up alright. I’ll see if I can find a pic (sold it last year).

I’m not into “extras” really but have seen some look good. If you’re not concerned with resale, then there are no limits :wink: the crocodile pattern on another saddle I had was subtle but different.

1 Like

Yes I saw on their website. Lots of pretties though!

1 Like

That’s not bad then if it’s just wearing under the leg!

1 Like

Pics re my last post:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing!

Did you find that the patent piping scuffed easily?

I like crocodile print myself. And I’m pretty fond of getting what I like :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Sort of drove me nuts initially because it showed every little scuff, dirt, smear, whatever. Kind of why I ditched the patent noseband now that I think about it :thinking:

1 Like