Unlimited access >

Saddles for connemara ponies

Anybody have an suggestions on brands of saddles that fit a 13’3 Connemara pony well? He is fairly big bodied

ANY brand of saddle with the correct width and shape that suits the build of the pony and is suitable for the rider. The saddle must fit both pony and rider. Start trying some on. If you don’t know if a saddle fits or not, ask someone who has more experience with this than you do for an opinion. As you try a few saddles, you will begin to get an idea about what you are looking for. Each brand will usually offer different sizing, widths, and fit. Current “styles” and popular brands and “trends in the show ring” influence some buyers- you can buy into that if you like, but it may or may not be a good idea. There is generally more expense involved if you do. Happy saddle shopping.

1 Like

You might want to try the “Connemara pony community” group on FB - it’s lots of Irish and UK folks so they’re likely to recommend brands more popular over there, but you can search and get a good idea of brands that tend to work for people. The Connemara I rode as a teenager went in a Stubben.

2 Likes

i got a black country davinci monoflap with freedom/hoop tree for mine. you’ll want to look for hoop trees and/or compact panels. british brands are going to be better for their shape than french.

2 Likes

I have a 14.1 Connemara pony and the best fitting saddle that I have had on him is a PJ (Pierre Jolicour). I love it, he loves it too.

1 Like

i understand that but some saddles have a specific shape to their tree. that is why i’m asking. I have a cwd but it is way to flat

thank you for the info. that is what i have heard also. my cwd does not fit him.

great idea. I did this