Unlimited access >

Saddles for horse with straight (not curvy) back

My saddle fitter says my horse has a straight back. He needs a saddle without a lot of curve in the tree.

She likes my Tad Coffin on him, but I am interested in alternatives.

Does this mean French saddles are out?

Does anyone have suggestions for a horse with a straighter back?

The Hermes Vivace fits my long, straight backed guy very well, specifically because the tree is straighter. It’s fantastic to ride in - highly recommend!

As a broad generality, French saddles are curvier and English saddles are straighter. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule. I suggest you check out the Harry Dabbs Italiano for a nice combination of style and a straight tree.

1 Like

I have the same problem and my horse fits well in a Jeffries jump saddle and Bates dressage saddle.

1 Like

Mine has a pretty straight back–the fitter actually just flattened out the panels more!–and goes in a County.

All the french saddles are different. Voltaire and Delgrange both work pretty well on flat backs.

I have a Frank Baines for my flat backed lesson horse, and a custom “Ideal” for my flat and round gelding.

Can you compare it to any other saddles you have ridden in? I am on the struggle bus a little and it looks like Hermes offers more customization than most brands

If you like the feel of riding in a french saddle but need a more specific fit, take a look at Amerigo. They have a range of fits but it’s just as comfortable as a CWD or Voltaire (if that’s your preferred ride).

I used an Equipe Grand Prix on my straight-backed thoroughbred.

Equipe has a few models for straight backs.

CWD can also be a good option.

Voltaire made a saddle called a Blue Wing for a few years that has a TC tree but more of a Palm Beach seat and flaps. That may be a great option if you can find one used.

I would concur with Amerigo - the right model. If you are buying used you will have to look at what the model you are buying was designed for. The most popular one out there, the Jump CC is curvy. They have a Basso model that works great on my straight backed round horse with a wither. My Voltaire doesn’t fit him at ALL. But the foam paneled saddles often have fit modifications that don’t mold well to different horses. Either they fit or they don’t and those modifications seem to make a big difference. Amerigo has adjustable flocking, as do many English made saddles… but the Amerigo has the very nice leather and look and feel of the French saddles (to me). Butet might be another one that fits flatter. Not 100% about the newer Butet models.