Unlimited access >

Saddles- Less expensive/ "economy" brands

Hi all!

Looking for some reviews, suggestions, comparisons for jumping saddles.

I’m currently in the market for a new/used saddle. I’m most familiar with and have ridden mostly in higher end brands- Antares, Devoucoux, etc. I would like to hear from you all that have owned/ridden in higher end saddles, and then maybe went to a Collegiate, Bates, or something similar. And your experience with the difference, and if you have a great brand that you loved.

I have a low budget this time around, and I refuse to go with the myth that I HAVE to buy a $2k to $8k saddle (lol) to get a good fit & decent ride.

Would love to hear some opinions & experiences about the less expensive brands.

Thank you!

I ride in quality OLD saddles, not currently stylish, but built to last. And minimal excess padding, which gives you a closer relationship with your horse for a more secure seat. Any minor repairs necessary are easy and affordable. I just bought a Crosby Soveriegn for $50. That’s a PDN in bridle leather. I have collected several PDNs also, and my own Courbette Stylist (owned that one since 1978), and another Stylist which is a narrow width which fits my knife edge TB mare perfectly. Think that you need an $8000 saddle to ride correctly? Not. If these old saddles are good enough for Steinkrous and DeNemathy, they are good enough for me. Those guys could ride circles around most of today’s superstars. Look around for some quality old saddles that have been adequately cared for and still have some life left in them. Crosby, Courbette, Stubben, Hermes, etc. Be a trend setter instead of a trend follower. Don’t follow the herd. Don’t flush money down the toilet on a saddle that doesn’t last a decade, just because a saddle “rep” tells you that their product is what you just have to have.

17 Likes

The two you mention are slippery af. I’m interested in the replies but I think I’ve ridden in just about everything. The very old Pessoas with no knee rolls that we have for lessons are best of the cheapies. You are going to be much happier buying an old maybe quite worn “nice” brand than a newer economy brand. There are often butets for sale very cheap with cosmetic damage, for instance. My pony/rogue saddle is a butet that’s basically shredded. I’m happy, horses are happy, I won’t cry if one flips over on it.

9 Likes

I bought myself a Dover Circuit Premier in 2017 and love it.

https://www.doversaddlery.com/circuit-premier-special-eq/p/X1-15060/

I also like my used Butets.

5 Likes

I like my Ovation San Telmo, for what it is. It’s comfy and fits my long leg, and the gullet plate system works for what I need (riding lots of different things for a month or two. I have other saddle options as well, if the A frame won’t work). Leather is meh, but the DIY 20 minute adjustable option is worth it.

I had a Circuit EQ that I adored, was constantly being asked if it was a CWD. It rode like my CWD, tbh, nice dark leather too. But they run NARROW so I sold it when I bought my wide boy.

If you’re shopping for one horse in particular, you’ll do better to get an idea of what fits it and then scour the internet for something similar. A Tad Coffin or Stubben or older CWD or Bruno might do the trick in the sub $2000 budget.

ETA fwiw, I loved my CWD. And have ridden in and liked plenty of other high end brands - no budget brand is going to compare. But it doesn’t mean it won’t work for you, as long as it fits your horse and yourself.

1 Like

I have really been impressed with Dover’s Circuit brand as well. They’ve figured out how to get a “French ride” at a much lower price point and they come in flap dimensions to suit some more challenging builds off the rack. They have enough tree dimensions in the range to cover a decent variety of builds, and although the leather starts out super stiff and slick, the saddles hold up.

20-year-old Pessoas are still going strong, but I don’t love the new ones except the Pony. Marcel Toulouse is a waste of money, they don’t hold up. I have never seen anyone who was actually well served by the Bates saddles in terms of fit and balance. (If you are that person I am happy for you.)

Now that Beval is dead and Crosby a shadow of its former self, in the under $2k range I think quality used is often a better value.

9 Likes

I loved my Frank Baines Elan. I paid $1000 for it - it may have been a demo and has the foam panels not wool.

I also got a great deal on a Harry Dabbs “Four Star” because the first owner used too much mink oil and discoloured it a bit. Love that saddle - it is now a lesson saddle and students love it too.

I have ridden in, and like Bates. My new lesson saddle is an “Arena” and my students really like it! It uses the Wintec gullet plates.

I don’t mind the thicker/stiffer leather of lower end saddles: it seems to last. My thing is the seat: some seem to have a sharp drop off that would hit my seat bones in the wrong spot.

2 Likes

I love my ancient used Centaur saddle ($300 on eBay) more than my Pessoa show saddle.

1 Like

I am a TC lover and I’m often shopping for them for clients, be careful with the lower priced older one, they in general need new panels which are expensive and I love Tad but they take forever when you send them in to be fixed.

4 Likes

I hate my Courbette with a firey passion.

I loooove old Collegiate saddles.

I had an old Pessoa and really liked it, but it didn’t fit my horse.

I generally like Stubben saddles as well.

But, you’re going to laugh, but some of my favorite budget saddles anymore are Wintecs. The Pro Jump is fab.

5 Likes

Thank you so far you guys! All of these different opinions are helpful

I have always loved my Collegiate Convertible Diploma jump saddle. I love being able to change the plates, and it has wool flocking (so many these days are foam!) The leather is butter soft and super grippy. I bought a used 17" one that was advertised as 17.5", it was a bit too small for me at 17" but I held onto it for 3-4 years because I love it so much and wasn’t jumping big.
I switched to dressage for a while, and my bestie was looking for a new saddle, so I shipped it out to her and she loves it too.
About two years ago they were on Tack of the Day for like $700 so I snagged myself a new 18" one, and I’m super happy with it.

I had a Bates Advantage dressage saddle for a hot second. It was comfortable and well-balanced but the leather was pretty slick. The higher end Bates are supposed to have much nicer leather.

1 Like

I now have 12 high priced saddles, or at least they were when I bought them. But years ago I had my Stubben in being re-flocked, and the tack shop owner loaned me a new Wintec so I could hunt . I loved that saddle, and bought it, which was likely her plan all along.

It immediately became my prefered fox hunt saddle. The only drawback was lack of D rings for the flask, radio case, and wire cutter case, but that was quickly remedied. And, there was no break-in time involved.

5 Likes

I love my Kent and Masters saddle. It’s interchangeable and seems to fit a variety of horses. My Thorowgood saddle is nice as it’s so sticky with silicone breeches.

3 Likes

Just a reminder that Nick Skelton won Olympic gold riding in an old Stubben.

20 Likes

Having ridden for years in an old, slippery saddle, I actually think it helped me long term. That said, I cried tears of joy when I got my Bruno and felt more secure.

3 Likes

I got my barely used Bruno Prestige for just above $2k on eBay. It fits me and my horse and the others I ride very well. A bit above your budget, but it is a great and versatile saddle, IMO.

1 Like

Hah – in my area there is a small fan club for Dover Circuits!

5 Likes

I would do anything for a Crosby sovereign! I loved that saddle slippery or otherwise. And for 50 bucks. That’s a steal! I also have a Steuben in my collection that’s older than me and probably will outlive me! The other off brand that I have that I really like is my Kieffer.

3 Likes

I couldn’t believe my luck. I figured it was a PDN when I saw the picture, and it was only described as a Crosby. But when it got here in the mail, it was obvious that it was not a PDN. Bridle leather. Sovereign. Dry, needed some TLC. She’s feeling much like her old self now.

5 Likes