Unlimited access >

Saddles Similar to Big Horn Reining Saddle #860

Hello, I am looking for either a Big Horn Reining Saddle #860 or a saddle that is similar. I really like the design, but can’t seem to find something like it in my price range, which is preferably under $700. I really like the #860 as it’s more of an all around and would be more compatible for roping and light ranch work as well. I’m looking for something for Ranch Horse versatility. Does anyone have one for sale, or know of a different brand and model that would be similar? I want something close contact with cut out skirts, but sturdy with a bit of a larger horn then most reining saddles have. Any thoughts? Big Horn’s #860 is the top saddle in this photograph:

http://saddleshop.bizland.com/890__854__856.jpg

I’m not stuck on the Big Horn Brand at all, just really like that style. Any thoughts on where I could find something like that? Also, if anyone has this saddle, I’d appreciate your thoughts on it. Thanks!

Rocking R and Dakota are both built on the same tree as Big Horn, so if Big Horn fits you and your horse those brands likely will as well. Crates is also on the same tree, but I haven’t seen one in the under $700 price range yet. Big Horn fits my mare, so I am also on the look out for something similar.

While all those brands mentioned use Steele Brand Trees and may be Full QH Bars, that is where the similarity ends. The do not all fit the same.

Gullet width, rafter angle, bow, twist, etc all play into the Individual Companies perception of a Full QH Bar.

That being said, I agree that there is no New Reining Saddle worth a flip near 700.00.

Lowest price decent Reiner I have ever seen new was a Dakota which are about 1,200.00 and it is a no frills very plain looking saddle.

Used is the only hope for such pricing of 700.00

Only Junk Imports from Pakistan and India are priced in the 700.00 or less range for New…

I had a Big Horn Cow Horse I bought used off eBay for $500. I put it through the wringer and it held up very well. I just sold it to a friend and instantly regretted it :confused: my advice is check eBay and used tack sites for a used one.

If you’re on Facebook, you should check out Scottsdale Western World’s page. He has dozens of used saddles in all price ranges, $295 and up. Lots of choices. There is also a website in case you’re not on Facebook, but the used saddles aren’t listed there.