Unlimited access >

Saddles with wide twist and big outer knee/thigh roll

Any suggestions on saddles that are wide in the twist and have big outer knee/thigh rolls?
I have an Icon Flight, love the big knee block, but the twist feels too narrow.
Also have an Advantage Monoflap, twist is even narrower and blocks too small.

I don’t know which direction to look, please list me some brands to get started, many thanks!

Schleese

I bought a Patrick Leggero this spring and would say that it is a wide twist. Pretty big thigh blocks similar to Custom. It took a bit for me to get used to it after riding in a Black Country Vinici, which has a much narrower feel, but I have really grown to love it (it was the only used saddle I could find to fit me and my mare when she plumped up to an XW).

Does the flight and adv fit your horse? They are fairly curvy trees and would limit a lot if the choices available to you.

Cardanel saddles were wider in the twist, and there were several with large blocks. They aren’t made anymore, but you can find used ones on Ebay and under consignment.

Mersidoats,
Oh yes, Cardanel, I remember those, a friend of mine had a Cardanel. Will see what’s out there used. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sheltona01,
Yes both the flight & advantage fit my horse very well and he’s happy in both. ‘I’ am the one struggling with the narrow twist. I’ve already added an acavallo gelseat saver, but it still feels narrow.
Horse is a tall warmblood, uphill built, high wither, and relatively straight in the back.
I didn’t realize the Flight was curvy in the tree, I thought it was straight with an upswept end.
The monoflap Adv I have I thought to be straighter in the tree. The Advantage R is curvier, but the one I have is the monoflap Adv. That’s what I recollect the Custom rep telling me when she fitted them, no expert myself here, lol. :slightly_smiling_face:

Outerbanks77
Thanks, nice looking saddle, this is indeed the type of block I am after.
I hadn’t heard of Patrick Legerro saddles, will look those up. :slightly_smiling_face:

Blue heron,
Thanks, I only sat in one model the Obrigado and the twist felt really good for me, on the wider side, but the seat wasn’t as deep as the Custom and lesser knee roll, so I passed.
Maybe they have other models, I’ll check again. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Equibrit. Will look into Laser saddles. Are those still being made nowadays or only used? Not that it matters, I just haven’t seen many Lasers lately for sale, but I made not have paid attention.
Will check the one you linked :slight_smile:

If you can put your hands on a Hennig, most are wide and have nice blocks

I have a N2 saddle that meets both of those requirements. It has a wide twist, deep seat, and lovely thigh rolls.

1 Like

Call me sometime and I have a trick that might solve your issues. It is easier to explain than type out. Www.thesaddlefits.com

My frank banes had a wider twist and external blocks. If you buy one new you can actually pick the size twist on any model as that’s one of the customizations.

I don’t think so - I couldn’t find their website. I have a couple and they are the only saddle I could find, off the shelf, to suit my wider pelvis. I had custom made in the past so it didn’t feel like I was sitting on a fenceboard. I still own a couple of custom Stackhouses, but I hate knee rolls, and they are not adjustable like the Lasers.There are usually a few on ebay, but only currently one @18.5". this one looks nice and has Schrumpf leather on seat and rolls.

Thx, alibi_18, :actually I know of a used Hennig for sale, but I’m a bit disappointed by the rather narrow channel for the horse, doesn’t leave much space for a horse with wider backbone.

Someone also lent me a Sommer saddle and it was the same problem, such a narrow channel.

Thanks Sheltona01, will do :slightly_smiling_face:

Leheath, I’m not familiar with N2’s, will look them up, thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

Blob99, thx, I went onto the Frank Baines website and they do indeed have some nice big blocked saddles, I’ll see who’s the rep for my area.

In some cases it may be possible to widen the channel on a wool flocked saddle. You’ll probably need to take it to an actual saddler, not a mobile fitter. My saddler widened the channel on an Albion AP I bought last year. She charged me about $250, IIRC, for that plus general tweaking of the fit. Of course, you need the whole tree and panels to be wide enough for this to work.

I’ve got a monoflap Schleese Link II that is wide in twist and channel. What size are you looking for?

Thx, yaya, a 17 inch, unless the blocks are really thick, then perhaps a 17,5. Horse is a narrow medium at the most. :slightly_smiling_face:

My saddle’s too big, then. Good luck!

With seat size, also look at the depth. If there isn’t much of a flat spot in the seat and it is more bowl/scoop shaped/deep, then a 17.5 may work fine. Some brands/models also “ride smaller” than others.

Usually Sommer has a decently wide channel in their saddles. Perhaps not all, but most. Most Sommer saddles are also too wide for me to ride in, personally. They’re much more common over here though. I see a lot of Hennig’s with narrow channels. I’m not sure why this is. A fellow boarder is having to possibly order something new because both of her Hennig saddles are like this.

My Fairfax Gareth had big knee blocks, was a monoflap, and the twist wasn’t super narrow, to me, but wasn’t exactly wide either. I did ride in another Fairfax that did feel wider though. Cannot recall which one.

I have a Schleese Pro (custom) that is wide in the twist with substantial knee rolls. 17.5. The twist is too wide for me; I’d love to sell it. It was a demo saddle before I bought it and I used it for about three months… so basicly like new. (I know their website says its narrow twist but I assure you it is wide at the top of your thigh…)
PM me if you are interested.