Unlimited access >

Saddles

How do you guys experience/evaluate saddles? There are SO MANY brands out there, its hard to know where to begin when you’ve not bought , settled on a new one. Where to begin? My daughter is looking for probably more of a mono flap, deep seat, 18 (or 17.5) wool flocked, shorter? than longer flaps (she’s about 5’2’’) WIDE or EXTRA WIDE …(and are there any adjustable ones worth it?) narrow twist.

mare is a chunk… and one fitter did ‘mention’ hoop trees but I don’t know if that is the real fit for her either…I’m hoping to just know more of the ones to look at for BOTH daughter and the mare…budget: well, I’d like to stay at 2K max…but certainly open to looking for used (prefer the quality over having to have ‘new’ anyway) but trials would HAVE to be available. Just wanted suggestions on how to begin your search and or/brands/model suggestions.

thanks!!

I just went through locating an extra wide 18" saddle. I have long femurs so I need a different flap/block situation, but I know I saw a few XW short flaps out there. IME, horses that need hoop trees won’t fit really well in the adjustable gullets, which tend to be more of a standard width at the top; changing the gullet adds more angle to the points, but can’t make the head much wider.

Trilogy is one that seems to work well for shorter people, though I don’t think they make a monoflap. Lovatt & Ricketts and Black Country both tend to be good for the wider horses, and used ones should fit your budget. Black Country Vinici is a monoflap. I think L&R’s monoflap is new to their lineup, so I doubt you would find that one used. Albions also tend to have closer to a hoop tree, though you won’t find them called a hoop. Also don’t think they offer a monoflap though.

This Frank Baines was the only other used option I had in mind for myself. Might be worth a look: https://www.ebay.com/itm/284164596103?_trksid=p2380057.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI284164596103.N36.S1.typeWATCH_ITEM_ENDING_SOON.R1.TR1

Going through a tack shop might be a better way to go since they usually offer trials, vs. private sellers. Off the top of my head some shops to check are:

Rick’s Heritage
Pelham
St. Croix
Olson’s
Maryland Tack Exchange
Galloping Grape
Flying Star Saddlery
Duchess Saddlery
Farmhouse Tack
Flying Star Saddlery
Hastilow USA

1 Like

thanks SO MUCH I so appreciate the aide in looking into what we can. I’ll be checkin’ them all out! :slight_smile:

I have always started my search by having an independent saddle fitter look at the horse and give me some suggestions of brands/models that might fit, then I look online and get a few on trial. If you don’t have an independent saddle fitter that can give you a place to start, then you can try doing your own wither tracings. I know that several of the shops mentioned above will give suggestions based on wither tracings.

I’m glad to hear that someone else has this problem. I’m 5’2" & can reasonably ride in my 5’7" trainer’s dressage saddle without adjusting the stirrups. And most of my leg length is in my femur.

@ayrabz, whereabouts are you? There are 3 very good consignment tack stores in my area of Northern VA/MD that all carry a huge selection of dressage saddles. Many of them seem to come from saddle brand reps. All 3 ship saddles for trial.

1 Like

Black Country might be a good one to check out if you can find a fitter rep or shop… They come in both regular and hoop trees, have monoflap styles and tend to run wider. A brand new one is above budget but if you can find the right combo used it should be more affordable.

1 Like

daughter is outside of Columbia SC. Shes got some nice ‘not toooo far away’ tack stores, and has visited and will probably be consigning her two to sell out of there. She has been working with an independent fitter, and some of the ‘suggestions’ are on her radar, but limited.

Black Country is one she’d be interested in if we could find one used that would suffice.

I really appreciate the solid suggestions and input you guys! thanks!!! it all helps!

Following this as I have the same needs as your daughter.

1 Like

I’d recommend getting in touch with Brittany Bird. She’s not always the best about getting to text or emails quickly but she’s very good at what she does and should have no problem bringing out a handful of options in budget. If none work, based on how those saddles don’t work, she’ll likely find the perfect saddle round two. I know several people who have had really positive experiences with her.

1 Like

Thanks Grace…she HAS used Brittany, and indeed likes her very much. We aren’t full into ‘round two’ and I did want to hear back here for others searching for this similar need in case there were brands/types models to review and consider. ANY trial, or purchase, would involve Brittany I’m sure…

Any advice on the best way to get in touch with Brittany? I emailed a few days ago and haven’t heard back yet. I don’t want to be annoying and reach out again on FB or text, but I also know that craftspeople don’t necessarily sit in front of their inboxes all day.

I’d follow up on her FB page and then give two business days. She’s busy but responsive so it may have fallen off her radar

1 Like

Kent and masters has ridiculously nice leather, wool flocking, adjustable gullet, removable blocks. Worth a look also because it fits your budget

3 Likes

You might try Patty Merli who is down in Aiken. She has a reputation for being good and also thorough. I believe she reps Black Country as well as being an independent fitter.