Safety Stirrups in Hunters

Contemplating returning to the show ring after a little hiatus. I’m currently using FlexOn black safety stirrups so I’m wondering if I can show with those or if I need to find a more “conventional” stirrup. I love my stirrups but not loving the fact that I may have to sink $$ just for the sake of “tradition”. I don’t see anywhere in the rule book where stirrups are even mentioned… I ordered a set of Acavallo safety stirrups which I thought might work but they were more grey than silver and didn’t like their look. Will I be laughed out of the ring w my black stirrups? Welcome suggestions. Thanks

What level? Breed? What rulebook are you looking at?

For open level shows, I’d say use what you want. Screw what others think!

If you’re showing National’s/Worlds, I am not sure I would use black stirrups. AQHA doesn’t say they are prohibited, but I’m not sure I’d want to stick out from the others for that reason.

At one point black was not allowed in the EQ divisions, but I am not sure if that is still the case, hopefully someone who knows the rules will know what the current rules are.

Other than that, I doubt it will matter.

Clearly neon pink stirrups are not the right look for the hunter ring, but that is not what you are talking about.

Lots of people use the black stirrups. They are perfectly acceptable for hunters, even if they are not exactly traditional.

There was a rule a couple of years ago that prohibited black stirrups in equitation classes, but it has been changed so that traditional stirrups are recommended but not required.

The idea is that it is harder for the judge to see the foot position in equitation classes with a black boot in a black stirrup.

From the current USEF rules:

EQ 106.6. When showing in the Hunter/Jumping Seat Equitation section it is recommended that riders use traditional stainless steel stirrup irons that promote proper position of the foot in the iron as well as a correct leg position. It is further recommended that riders use stirrup irons that allow judges a clear and unobstructed view of the position of the foot in the stirrup. Judges may not eliminate a rider for using a particular style of stirrup iron.

1 Like

EQ106.6
When showing in the Hunter/Jumping Seat Equitation section it is recommended that riders use traditional stainless steel stirrup irons

Judges may not eliminate a rider for using a particular style of stirrup iron.
(Exception: see EQ101.4)
(101.4 is about
Any rider competing and or riding anywhere on the competition grounds with their stirrup, stirrup leather, fender, or foot tied and/or secured in any manner(including but not limited to magnetic stirrups or tape) will be eliminated from the entire competition. )

2 Likes

Should be fine in hunters and probably even adult eq, though I’d go with something metal and conventional even for adult eq bc you never know. I definitely wouldn’t use them for Maclay finals.

I bought all-silver Cavallo AluPro stirrups when I thought I might still do the eq, paying a premium price for the all-silver color. Haven’t shown hunters or eq since and the darn things developed an issue after about two years where the side piece pops out of its attachment point on one stirrup. I replaced them with navy free jump stirrups to match my coat and hat. My bling level is pretty much Amish but that works for me.

2 Likes

I love that description! Lol.

3 Likes

American Equus has some really nice safety stirrups specifically designed for the hunter ring. I have their Elite model in all chrome and I love them, but I don’t show hunters, I’m just a traditionalist :joy:

1 Like

I rarely notice stirrup type in hunters.Sometimes in Equ. But we are no longer allowed to disqualify based on stirrups

1 Like