I broke my ankle recently in a spook-fall and I’d like to make my riding time safer. I already have stirrups that I love (MDC S Flex). Barnes Buckles or Swiss Clips would have been the perfect solution to keep my current stirrups but make things safer, but neither product seems to be made anymore.
(I’ve confirmed with Dream Team Products that despite their web page https://www.dreamteamproducts.com/shop/swissclip, the Swiss Clips are no longer available.)
Does anyone know of alternatives that would clip on to my stirrup leathers (or in my case, Webbers) and allow the stirrup to be ejected with me in a fall?
Finding stirrups that a rider loves can be such a pain, and we all want to avoid injuries from falls, so I’m sad that safety buckles/clips aren’t more common.
If I’m S.O.L. on buckle alternatives, I may change stirrups, but so far I’ve been unable to find stirrups that have:
- Breakaway or quick-release feature
- Flexible joints for shock absorption (might be even more important now that I’ve broken an ankle)
2b) Angled footbed front-to-back (I have crazy-flexible ankles and it’s unsafe for my foot to be perched on the back edge of flat-bed stirrups, but flexible joints would at least help with this)
- Wide footbeds to distribute pressure
- Easier pick-up if I lose a stirrup (so a turned eye hole for the leather/webber)
- Some weight to them rather than super-light stirrups that fly around
- Price under $300/pair preferred. I wear size 9 boots so the FreeJump Petites are probably not workable. The price of the FreeJump Pro and Tech Venices x2 make me wince…though yes, they’re cheaper than my health insurance deductible, so I have to consider them.
I don’t really care how the stirrup looks, as long as it’s safe and performs well. The MDC S Flex meets all of my needs except #1, sigh. I’m thinking the Herm Sprenger Bow Balance @$230 might be the closest option, but please shout out if I’ve missed a good option, thanks!