Unlimited access >

[Safety stirrups thread] Stirrup breakaway safety: Alternatives to Barnes Buckles or Swiss Clips?

Interested in the SafeStyles - currently using a very jerry-rigged setup of of peacock stirrups with wide stirrup pads and comfort-grip wrap-around pads on top of those, neither of which are manufactured anymore, so I’m probably going to have to replace them at some point. Interested to see how the black bracket part hanging against the horse works - I’d be worried it would slip open and jab them in the side…?

As a dressage rider turned eventer, I love my SafeStyle stirrups for jumping. The firm but flexible curved rubber branch that would allow the foot to come free in an accident can’t “slip open” or jab the horse. It is not a hinged stirrup, so just not physically possible by design. I’ve had mine for 4 years.

1 Like

This is correct. The curved rubber branch stays put. I haven’t had to use the breakaway function yet but I like the fact there is no hinge and therefore, nothing that could get stuck…

1 Like

Update on safety stirrups! My Equiline S1s came in, and…I really, really like them. I might even love them.

They are heavy, which is definitely my preference. If you prefer lighter stirrups, these are not for you. Equiline apparently has a somewhat lighter stirrup called the S2 that they’re starting to market mostly to women. I chose the S1s in part because I want heavy!

I love that the top of the stirrup branch is angled at around 45 degrees (kinda like the Freejumps) so that the stirrups aren’t always trying to lie flat against the horse’s barrel. And the S1s don’t move around under me — in this, they are noticeably better than the Samshields for me. The S1s give my feet and legs a very stable platform.

I’ve ridden in them three times now, including over low fences. Unfortunately, our eventing season is over and it’s already snowing here; I wish I could test them out through water to check the grip.

The rowels on the top of the footbed allow sideways movement, but my feet don’t seem to move around. If they do, I haven’t noticed. The S1s just feel…solid. It’s really nice.

The one thing that surprised me is that I thought the footbeds would move a bit more, have more spring/shock absorption — I’m pretty sure that feature was in one of their marketing videos. And flex is one thing I really liked about my old MDCs. BUT, in the three times I’ve used the S1s, I don’t remember ever feeling that the Equiline’s weren’t absorbing shock — which is important, since I broke my ankle in two places less than five months ago. In short, I can mostly forget that the stirrups are there. Which feels fantastic. :slight_smile:

I did the LandSafe clinic recently and got a great discount on the Tech Venice stirrups as a result, but I’m thinking about canceling my order because I like the Equilines that much.

RE the Tech Venices, the LandSafe folks were very complimentary about them. I specifically asked if anyone in their clinic had ever gotten caught in them — which is how I broke my ankle in my MDCs — and they said no. And they’ve had a lot of people coming out of them on purpose! The Venices are much lighter than the Equilines, but not light; I’d guess they’re about what the Samshields weigh. Definitely heavier than the Acavallos (which were WAY too light for me). The thing that I’m pretty sure I’d miss is that there’s no angling of the stirrup leather eye hole, so they’d want to sit parallel to the barrel. BTW, the LandSafe folks feel the cheese-grater-y footbed points might even be a little TOO sharp to reliably release a foot, so for safety they like to use a rasp to file the points down a tiny bit.

The LandSafe folks also mentioned one particular downside of Freejumps, one I wouldn’t have thought of: the opening at the top of the branch could allow the reins to be caught. The manufacturer suggested putting electrical tape there to cover the gap.

I’ll try to remember to follow up here after I’ve had more time riding in the Equilines. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update on my safety stirrup journey… Even though I thought I really liked the Equiline S1s I bought, I had a difficult time keeping my heels down enough in them. Dang it. My situation might not be typical, though. I have abnormally flexible ankles — the flexibilty of my non-broken ankle stunned my PT, and, happily, the one I broke last year is nearly as abnormal now :smiley: — so not having enough flex in the stirrup bed in the Equilines seems to have really thrown off my overall balance. Perching on the back edge of a stirrup is no fun, and that’s what “normal” stirrups have been like for me since I was a kid.

I ended up buying a pair of MDC jumper flex stirrups with the straight (non-S, non-turning) top so I could use them with my Barnes Buckles — and suddenly my heels and balance did much better. Two small problems with the Barnes Buckles, though. (1) They add length to the stirrup leathers. I’m a shortie who uses Wintec webbers, and on XC, I’m at the very top hole of the shortest webbers. (2) The other issue is that the BBs can dig into my shins a little bit. Usually I just move my foot to a slightly different spot on the stirrup, which moves the BB/webber over to relieve the pressure. Overall, still the best option for me so far.

I’ll keep my eyes open for other options in the future (I guess I’m a safety stirrup 'ho!), but this is where I am for now with my jumping needs.

I’m still using and loving the French-made / Canadian-bought Rid-Ups on my dressage saddle and I absolutely loooove them. I just wish I felt more confident about their safety in the event of a forward XC fall.

My 2 cents: have been riding in the Tech Venice with stability leathers for a few months now—Christmas present from DH—and I LOVE them so much I will be purchasing a 2nd pair for dressage saddle. Haven’t come off in them yet (knock on wood) so can’t say I’ve tested that aspect, but I feel remarkably secure in them. That alone is worth the (high) price of admission as I’m riding my greenie. My trainer loves them so much she now has a pair and intends to buy more as finances allow. After watching in horror as one of her adult students was dragged recently in a traditional stirrup, she’s all about them. Student was mercifully unhurt, just banged up, as stirrup leather did come loose but not until 30 feet or so. Never thought I would spend that kind of $$ on irons, but I will do it again. As soon as they came out of the box, DH was impressed by how well engineered and constructed they are. Very high quality product. I got the titanium color and they look lovely on my black jump saddle and dapple grey horse. I have no affiliation with the brand.

2 Likes

Another vote for toe cages. They can be used on any stirrup you like.

After my last fall (it had been YEARS) I realized I should do something. I was using the old fashioned Eldonian double-offset stirrups and my feet had no problems, my stirrups fell off my feet readily.

I had tried the Peacocks long before, but after a while the foot bed would slope outwards even though I spend most of my rides with my weight on the inside of the stirrup.

Then I noticed in regular stirrups that even though my feet were in a “proper” relationship to the horse that my ankle was always breaking to the outside.

I found the Tech Venice Slope safety stirrups. My problems were solved, I feel safer and my foot no longer has most of the weight to the outside. I am very happy with them though they were horribly expensive, at least for me. I do not see any realistic way my foot could get hung up in them the next time I fall off (which I know will happen, someday.)

I’ve been riding in the Samshield Shield’rup stirrups for about a year now, and I still like them. I too (knock wood) have not had to test the release capability through a fall, but I like their weight, the slight twist on the eye that makes the stirrup lie a bit better, and the wide tread. It was definitely a great purchase, just for the peace of mind alone.

Has anyone tried the Ophena or any other brand of magnetic stirrup if there are any out there? My question would be how strongly would the magnets in the boot attract metal on or slightly in the ground? Would the stirrup have a strong enough magnet that if you passed too close to something metal while walking your horse it would head that direction?

Maybe I missed it but has any one had a fall in the Tech Venice?

I’m updating my stirrups thread after more experimentation. TL;DR: I’m back to the Samshields! The spikes on the Samshield footbeds really grip and give me a lot of confidence that my foot will stay in them when jumping or through water, even if my foot isn’t ideally placed in them.

Sadly, the Barnes Buckles + MDC Jumper Classics are tall enough to dig into my shins (I’m a shortie — YMMV), and since my horse gave me a bad bone bruise there 7 months ago, I got tired of wrapping that already-wounded shin against the continual digging into them by the Barnes Buckles.

So I switched back to the Samshields… and immediately felt more secure. When I initially used the Samshields last year, my foot seemed to wander on them, but that wasn’t long after recovering from an ankle fracture, and that may have had something to do with the wandering. I do wish there were more cushioning in the Samshields — given my hyper-flexible ankles, my feet sometimes go to sleep in them and I have to consciously pull my ankles up for a couple of minutes to let my feet have better circulation, but that’s the way stirrups have been for me since I was a kid. I rarely had my foot fall asleep in my flexible, joint-friendly MDCs (one reason I loved them) but MDC doesn’t make a true safety stirrup and the BBs/Swiss Clips are too tall and hit my shins, so… safety first.

I still use and love my Rid’Ups on my dressage saddle, just wouldn’t feel comfortable jumping in them given that they wouldn’t seem to release if there’s a forward fall (only a backward one).

I’d still like to try the Tech Venices someday — the LandSafe folks love and recommend them. Wish they came with an angled leather hole.

I also have an eye on a new safety stirrup entry by Freejump, the Air: https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=FJSF They don’t have the gap on the outside branch that the other Freejumps do — a gap the LandSafe folks were concerned might allow a rein to get caught — so the Air’s design might be a good improvement. Anyone try them yet?

Like @RedHeadFred, I’d also love to hear any experiences with the Ophenas. Anyone ridden in them?

This is all very much on the top of my brain right now. I am searching high and low for Samshield Shield’Rup irons but no where seems to have them in stock. I’m drooling over the Ophenas but don’t know that I’m solid enough yet for them. The newest freejumps are also interesting to me. Th Tech Venice are also at the top of my list with the Samshield’s… So many options!

For the Samshields, I’d say you should shop online at British tack stores. The shipping is pretty reasonable, and in my case, the order came very quickly!

https://tackofthetownlv.com/products…31741103571080 $500 is a bit OTT :lol:

… Yes. I did see these - but they are WAY too marked up - especially since I’m in Canada so the currency conversion makes them even worse.

@Posting Trot I also did find a FEW in Europe but the places that had them in stock had AWFUL shipping costs - IE > $100. If you have a link to some in stock and reasonable (IE <$50?) shipping I will jump all over it!

All the British tack shops seem to be out of stock, including the place where I bought mine. It seems somewhat strange, but maybe it has to do with shipping and manufacturing disruptions (?).

FWIW, I bought my Samshields from a place called Forelock and Load in the UK. Best price I found at the time, excellent customer service, and quick shipping to me here in the States. Might be worth googling for them.

Also, have spotted a new (if pricey) entry into the Safety Stirrup Sweepstakes: https://worldequestrianbrands.com/product/amerigo-safety-stirrups/

I’m still looking for the impossible - a jointed safety stirrup with a 90 degree leathers eye and a Tech Venice like release system. Maybe someday. :lol:

Yes, I want that same unicorn!

1 Like

Seen these? [URL=“https://www.safestyle.nl/en/”]https://www.safestyle.nl/en/

https://www.facebook.com/Safestyleofficial/