Safety Vests and Blood Thinners

Thank you ALL for your input on my original thread “Does my Doctor Know the Risks of Riding”

I gathered a TON of information and am working towards some small goals each week to improve my fitness and that of my horse, as well as have created a safety plan with my loved ones who will be on the ground when I ride, ie, I will not ride alone (someone is always on the ground) I will always have my helmet on during riding/tacking up/handling horse, I will wear my medical alert bracelet, etc.

I am, for those who don’t know or who don’t want to read the original thread , a lifer on blood thinners with some extra fun vascular anomaly stuff in my femur (including a tumor in the femur and AVM traversing the bone). Nuff said there.

I’m interested in thoughts on protective vests as something to add to my arsenal of protection. Will it be of benefit for me in regards to being on blood thinners? I can’t see a reason not to buy a vest (other than they’re pricey, but my life is worth it I understand that).

So as far as if we agree on vests being optimal for protection for people on thinners, does it particularly matter which vest? I’ve always had Tipperary when I was younger and rode in 3 day, haven’t owned/ worn a vest in probably 10-15 years. I am not small chested so would probably not fit in one off the shelf.

And one last question. If anyone is super knowledgable here, what is the main point of a protection vest ie organs or bones?

Thank you all for helping me in this. I can’t wait to post the photo of the day I finally am back in the saddle!

My son has two mechanical valves and is on Coumadin. He events, and we chose Race Safe vests. Best fit for all three of us - husband also events and I’m a combined driver, and find them to be comfortable.

1 Like

I can only speak to my experience with a Helite inflatable vest. My boyfriend recommended it based on his experience with the company’s motorcycle gear. I found it lightweight and never felt that it interfered with my riding. I fell quite a number of times wearing it and was always thankful to have the extra protection on the trails or on rocky terrain. It’s easier to bounce back from an arena fall than it is to land on a boulder!

https://www.dadasport.com/en/165-airbag

OP, I don’t recall if you mentioned in the other topics I’ve ready. Are you on Coumadin or one of the other blood thinners?

Do you wear a MedicAlert bracelet/necklace at all times with this warning?

And certainly if you don’t choose to answer, I would totally respect that as not really my business.

{{OP}} on the journey you are on and your drive and desire to not let your medical issues get in the way of living your life :encouragement:

I am on 20mg of Xarelto daily, I wear a medical alert bracelet and always have someone on the ground with me who knows my medical history :slight_smile:

:encouragement:

I am sure you know Xarelto isn’t quickly reversible like Coumadin. I was briefly on Coumadin and the regular INRs were PITA and I could never get the numbers to be consistent so switched to IIRCA Xarelto until I was able come off blood thinners completely.

yes, yes I do know unfortunately :confused:

1 Like

I am not on a blood thinner, unless 2 aspirins a day counts.

I got bruises (and two cracked ribs) when I fell in my Tipperary Eventer Pro (?) vest.