Unlimited access >

Salinomycin poisoning

Good am

I run a rising school and my horses were exposed to salinomycin as well as monensin over a period of 5 weeks.
We do not know the levels in all retained bags as the food company refuses to give us this ,
But we do have our own samples taken which some shows alarmingly high values.
We had our first heat scans , ecg’s as well as zonar done and now the horses have started an exercise program.

There seem to be different believes wether it will be safe to use the horses in the riding school again as some state that there can be scarring on the hearts which the tests don’t pick up on, while the vet that came out ( sourced by the food companies " independant " vets ) says its perfects safe.

Any opinions ?

The last thing I would want is to drop with a rider and th rider breaks it’s neck and dies . I can not afford take ANY chance with a child or adult client.

[QUOTE=Tsamadhi;8131135]

The last thing I would want is to drop with a rider and th rider breaks it’s neck and dies . I can not afford take ANY chance with a child or adult client.[/QUOTE]

What a horrible and heartbreaking situation to be in. I think you answered your own question… :frowning:

All I can suggest is you get in touch with your insurance and ask them.

So sorry.

Thank you !
Truly hope it will all be over soon. I am mentally drained from all this. Luckily most horses are looking good again.

I recently attended a lecture by Dr. Anne Desroches at Morven Park/VA Tech. She feels you can get a pretty good idea of the condition of the heart by doing blood troponin levels, EKG and a high resolution echocardiogram. Any dead areas of the heart may be visible on the echocardiogram. She is internationally known for her ultrasound skills. If you are anywhere near Northern Virginia, think about having her evaluate the horses.

[QUOTE=Tsamadhi;8131135]
Good am

I run a rising school and my horses were exposed to salinomycin as well as monensin over a period of 5 weeks.
We do not know the levels in all retained bags as the food company refuses to give us this ,
But we do have our own samples taken which some shows alarmingly high values.
We had our first heat scans , ecg’s as well as zonar done and now the horses have started an exercise program.

There seem to be different believes wether it will be safe to use the horses in the riding school again as some state that there can be scarring on the hearts which the tests don’t pick up on, while the vet that came out ( sourced by the food companies " independant " vets ) says its perfects safe.

Any opinions ?

The last thing I would want is to drop with a rider and th rider breaks it’s neck and dies . I can not afford take ANY chance with a child or adult client.[/QUOTE]
Are you allowed to share with us the feed company? What an awful thing. I hope you keep us updated and I wish you and your horses the best of luck and the best recovery possible.

Thank you for your input .
This is pretty much what I have been told too.
Problem is in a riding school one can’t work with probabilities.
What won’t show up is microscopical changes sadly.
Blood was drawn , but only after 2 months and not in the acute point of poisoning so potential kidney damage would possibly no longer show up.

So sadly " a pretty good idea " doesn’t hold up in court . Or towards a parent who’s child drops under the horse .

I will google Dr Anne .

The food company won’t be of any relevance to any other person as they only produced a minor quantity / month.
I live in Mozambique so no one needs to worry about purchasing from th same company!

Thank you .

how are your horses doing? hoping a safe recovery