Unlimited access >

Salt, minerals, heat and the horse in hard work

I have a 10 year old Holsteiner who is not naturally fit. We have added gallop sets to this years fitness program at a local horse park. At first it was great but as summer is reaching it’s peak we are losing ground. He is not a fan of heat and I get that. He gets a scoop of smart lytes and has free choice salt but he sweats like a pig and I feel I am behind the curve on his electrolyte supplementation.

His weight is good if not a bit upper end of what I would like. He is on 2 pounds a day of grain, pasture, free choice hay and a daily mash of beet pulp, alfalfa cubes and his supps. He also gets 5000 mg magnesium daily. I am sure I need to add more smart lytes to his diet but was wondering if a free choice method would be better. He has a salt hanging but was thinking a free choice mineral but don’t know where to start.

If he is getting fatigued day over day, then drop his workload or give him more days off.

My Paint mare turns out to need 4 or 5 days on, one day off. I feed her 2 ounces (I think) of loose salt in her mash and she still demolishes her blocks. One summer I calculated she was getting a pound of salt a week (one ounce a day in mash plus a 7 lb Redmond lick gone in 8 weeks). If your horse is making good use of his lick I would add salt to his mash.

I’m not sure the rest of the electrolyte mix matters that much for daily use if you have his minerals balanced in his regular feed.

Also watch his water intake, make sure he’s drinking enough over a 24 hour period.

Also summer can make the ground harder and less comfortable to gallop on.

4 Likes

He is generally on a 1 day work, min 2 days off schedule. I think I may need to back down on his gallop sets though.

Hmm. Maybe he needs more work, like long walk trot sets several days in a row.

4 Likes

Long trot set and/or even longer walks, depending on what level he’s expected to perform at.

Also, I’m not sure that there is a grain out there that’s mean to be fed at a rate of 2lb/day? Could be wrong about that, but it might be worth looking into a ration balancer to make sure he’s getting the nutrients he needs to perform and feel his best.

1 Like

Yes, good point about the grain and nutrients, unless he’s actually getting a ration balancer. If horse is overweight I’d switch to a comprehebsive vitamin mineral supplement in his mash and skip the grain.

He is getting Nutrena Perform. Good point about a ration balancer.

I think electrolytes every day is too much for most horses. Electrolytes are designed for horses doing a strenuous activity like racing or endurance and administered on the day of activity. I would not offer them free choice, especially if they have any sugar or a sweet taste - the horse may consume them just for the taste rather than “need.”

I’d feed more loose salt and leave a pile of salt available in a bucket or feeder for free choice consumption. I’d also look into the ratio balancer versus complete feed. If he’s a little heavy, besides going to a RB, you could swap the alfalfa pellets for timothy pellets and/or remove the beet pulp.

If you have time, I’d add a lot more walking on your gallop and non-gallop days and possibly some trot sets as part of your regular schools.

If you are worried about being able to complete a full XC course at competition, you can think about tapering as you come up on a competition so he may have more energy. Although that might make dressage more challenging. :wink:

2 Likes

My concern is he sweats like a pig and comes in from the pasture covered in a white salt film even without work. We are having daily heat indexes of 100-105 here. We are bringing him in before noon so he can stand under a fan in a stall.

Gallop sets? You are lucky to be able to gallop at all in this weather. My horses mostly go out for 4-5 miles of walking in this weather, at the most. Some limited trotting, and very little canter work. Heat + humidity levels are just way too hot in this weather. I have one horse I do some canter work with and he will be soaked or have sweat dripping off his belly in a 30-45 minute work out.

4-5 miles of walking is enough to have a horse blowing, with all veins showing in this heat- and still needing a long hose off to get that temperature down.

I don’t gallop at all in the summer. I know people who do 10-12 miles in this heat, and in my opinion, they are just asking for problems. I know one lady who likes to do 7 miles of walk/trot and I thought that was pushing it on a hot morning.

I have to add electrolytes to my food/drinks in the summer so I don’t think you can go wrong by upping the amount of electrolytes he is getting. Someone told I don’t need to add salt to my food or drinks- that I don’t sweat that much- and I had to assure them that I definitely do sweat that much and will crave salt all summer long. I make up oral rehydration solution using orange juice or even add salt to my gatorade.

A 1,100-pound horse loses 20 grams of sodium per day in bodily fluids, not including sweat. This equates to about 1 ounce of plain table salt (sodium chloride). A horse standing around and not exercising but under high heat conditions might require 2 to 3 ounces just to meet basic losses without even being exercised.

When selecting an electrolyte supplement, it is critically important to first meet those baseline needs. Some concentrated commercial electrolyte supplements might only supply about six grams of sodium per ounce (and others much less). Therefore, just to meet baseline sodium requirements a minimum of 3 to 9+ ounces of electrolyte mix would have to fed per day before it would start to replace the sweat electrolytes. Take this into consideration when selecting a supplement.

Low blood potassium is common in horses that are stressed by heat. However, this doesn’t mean that potassium intake is inadequate. The body puts a priority on preserving sodium. If levels are low, the kidneys will excrete more potassium instead of sodium. To remedy low blood potassium, increase sodium to meet needs.

5 Likes

I could have written this exact same post two years ago. I have a similar horse who, if anything, sweats too much! I think he’s just one that naturally runs a bit warm. As someone who is located in the southeast, I would love to just not work him hard. However, that means he would literally get 3 months off in the summer every year due to the miserable heat/humidity.

I’ve struggled with my horse as well, especially as he is a bit of respiratory horse too (moderate IAD). I used to do gallop sets every week and was very frustrated, as I felt like they weren’t making him fit and were just pounding on his legs. Therefore, we would always struggle in the fall season because I felt like he wasn’t fit enough. What I found worked the best was a combination of a few things:

1. Replacing the gallop set with canters over cavaletti and/or XC jumps. This was probably the most effective change I made. Basically, the gallop sets weren’t getting his HR and RR up enough to actually make him fit because he was bored. The cavaletti or XC jumps get him a little more “amped up” and therefore get him fitter. I work on bringing the canter forward and back during these (i.e. – I’ll set up two caveletti 6 strides apart and work on getting 5 strides, then 7 strides the next time around, etc.).
  2. Keeping him in work throughout the summer. I used to give him a 4 week break and I would spend half the fall season trying to bring him back. Now I just give him a 2 week break and then keep him in work, although it might be alternating work days and off/light hack days. I also still compete during the summer, although I might do a CT instead of a HT (or enter a HT that I don’t mind withdrawing before XC if it’s too muggy that day).
  3. My guy gets one dose of SmartLytes in his feed year round. However, on the very hot days (>95F and humid), I give him an extra dose of electrolytes (suggested by my vet) and have no issues
  4. I really worked on fine tuning his nutrition. He is a bit of an easy keeper like your guy (maintains well on a little bit of feed and RB) and usually alfalfa turns him into a nut job. However, in the summer, he sometimes needs a little bit of alfalfa to maintain his energy, so I give him a small amount of alfalfa (~1lb soaked cubes) on the days I ride him and it seems to help. I would think it wouldn’t hurt to pull some blood for a CBC/Chem just to make sure nothing is out of whack there.

I’m not sure what level your horse is at but this has kept mine plenty fit to run around Training/Modified without any gallop sets. Good luck!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. He is Novice moving up to Training. I think I need to add hacking and trot sets to the picture. It’s been balls to the wall then 2-3 days off. I was reading on a COTH article which I need to find about fitness and what each level requires. For Training they were suggesting showing every 3 weeks (schooling or recognized), taking a week off after the show (I am going to start doing that) then slowly gearing up for the next show.

How did you get your horse to eat the lytes? I am putting them in his mash but if I had to add an extra, I don’t know if he would eat it just with his grain.

I forgot to add, my guy also hacks for 20 minutes at the beginning of every ride before I pick him up to do any work (that’s just as a preventative for any soft tissue injuries, due to some random soft tissue issues when he was younger), so that probably helps his fitness as well.

My guy is on the SmartLytes pellets which are maybe $1-2 more each month than the regular SmartLytes. He used to be on the regular SmartLytes but I was finding he would leave some in the bottom of his bowl, so I switched him over to the pellets and he happily gobbles them down. Totally worth the extra dollar or two each month. If I have to give him extra electrolytes, I give him a scoop of the Apple a Day electrolytes and just mix them with a cup of wet beet pulp and he gobbles them down. I tried the Apple a Day electrolytes and they taste pretty sweet to me, so that’s probably why he likes it so much!

2 Likes