Unlimited access >

Salt Sack jackets

I saw this mentioned on another thread and I’m curious. I’ve googled and come up with nothing. What are these and does anyone have a picture?

I had this very same question so I contacted the very helpful folks at Horse Country in Warrenton and here is the edited reply I received.

"Yes, there really is such a thing as a “Salt Sack” Jacket! However, this type of jacket went out of style back in the 1970’s. The Salt Sack was a light weight cotton/linen blend usually in a light tan color. They were washable, but lost their shape quickly and was probably the main reason they became unpopular.

Today, we have found that a light weight wool is a much better material for hacking jackets, and we have a large selection to choose from - in a variety of colors. You can go on our website, www.horsecountrylife.com and look in our on-line catalog, Diary 2008, for photos of our ladies hacking jackets (starting on page 35). "

Thanks for the info.

But I want a salt sack coat! Anybody have ANY ideas where to get one? I’m allergic to warm weather.

Just think heavy (not real fine) linen, light tan, cut to look as much like a hacking jacket as you can find. I found the one I use at H&M a few years ago.

Well, if I were looking, I’d probably call the Old Habit in VA (web site www.oldhabit.com) and see if they have any ideas. Alternately, see what turns up on ebay.

I also believe the fabric was called Hop Sack.
Loved them but keeping clean was tough.
Hand sponge and press w/ towel n steam worked well.

I got curious enough to swap emails with Amy at the Old Habit…indeed, no know manufacturers of these coats any more, so find an old one on ebay or in a consignment shop somewhere… and then deconstruct it and get a tailor or seamstress to start making some, potential good revenue stream! Of course, that means seeing if anyone even makes salt sack cloth any more!

Thanks guys, you’re great!

For what it’s worth there is a lady in my hunt that wears one during cubbing season. I think it’s vintage (as is the lady herself!) . Yes is wrinkles horribly but it really does have a kind of shabby elegance all it’s own.

Salt Jacket! Ya live & learn. Thank you COTH. I thought I knew it all. (No really! I did)
:slight_smile:

Horse Country had them (a facsimile)a few years ago and I bought one - absolutely perfect for cubbing. It wasn’t a lightweight wool though - it was linen and… something else. Anyone remember when they had those - I think in 2002? 2003?

Smashing with Newmarket boots.

So practical for hot fall weather.

Anyway - then I thought about grass and slobber stains and returned it.

But oh… what a pretty thing it was.

Sigh…

I have a similar coat

I bought a vintage McGee coat from someone on FOL. Assumed it was wool. It arrived and was 50% linen, 50% silk. It makes a great early fall coat.

http://www.pbase.com/lesliegra/image/117930142