Unlimited access >

SCAD Equestrian/Photography Majors

Hey all!
I’m thinking about going to SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) to major/minor in photography and equestrian studies. Has anyone done something similar or been to that school?
I know the argument that a equine studies major is typically considered useless but I wanted to hear more opinions about it. Instead of doing just equine studies, which I actually find the classes on course design and judging super interesting, I want to also study photography.
Thank you!

1 Like

What job do you anticipate getting with this education?

I’m not quite sure yet but I know I definitely want to work in the horse industry. I would love to continue photography and possibly work in show management/equine business…

1 Like

Then you probably need a business degree.

Very few people make a living from photography.

Very few people make a living from managing shows.

4 Likes

Equine studies is not a great way to spend your money, business courses etc. make more sense. I switched careers at age 40 and built my own barn. I first owned a horse and volunteered at a local barn to learn about horse care for 5 years while working the career that made me money. My management and business skills helped a lot. I had many kids over the years start in the equine programs and end up switching because they were bored. Out of the ones who finished the programs only 1 is actually in the business and she is helping to run a large vet hospital after working for a breeder.

Savannah is beautiful and SCAD is a great school if you have family money to pay for it and a plan for how to make a living afterward. If you want to work in the horse industry I’d recommend heading up the river to Aiken and taking a position as a working student. Being a good equine photographer would certainly be a desirable skill set in a WS.

ETA, a gap year in a barn is a great abs inexpensive way to see if the horses industry is right for you. Even if you have the chops, the long hours and low wages take the shine off of the career for many. If you decide it is for you, a year as a WS will be more credible than an EQ Sci degree most places.

5 Likes

Thank you for the reply! I have thought about being a working student for a dressage or eventing trainer but I know in the back of my mind I will feel safe knowing I have a degree in something, whether it be business or photography. It’s difficult to go back and forth in my mind with the two possible paths!

Definitely not suggesting you skip college. Rather, take a year and make sure you actually want to be tired and dirty all the time before spending the money on an EQ Sci degree. Photography, horses, whatever, you won’t likely regret that Business degree.

5 Likes

I would also reach out to other equestrian photographers and see if getting a degree in photography would be worth the money. You might be better off (financially) taking a few workshop courses and interning with a photographer instead of spending the money at a college.

There are several Facebook groups for equestrian photography and they may be able to offer more help.

Majoring in either of these things seems like a waste of money. Neither will cover your student loan bills.

With the internet, everyone is a photographer these days and even the really good ones are not “classically trained.” And as for equine business, you are better off becoming professionally involved with a top program in your disciple and getting experience and connections that way.

If you want to go to school for business, do not go to an art school. Go to a school with a well regarded business program and good alumni networks.

3 Likes

paper writer:

Are there any chances to become a SCAD student and get into their equestrian team?

Hello,

Years ago, when I was a SCAD student, we had only 18 horses and 18 students in our equestrian team. Now, there are more than 70 horses, as far as I know (at least, there were so many in 2019).

Read about the program here:

1 Like