Unlimited access >

Scared to own a thoroughbred?

OP, there’s a lot of issues here.

First: like DancingArabian said, it sounds like you’ve got a lot of holes in your riding ability. I own an OTTB, and the very first thing everyone - including his trainer - told me was never, ever pull back on the reins, because a lot of them are trained to run faster when you pull back on the reins. So we spent the first six to eight months under saddle learning seat and leg cues. When he was solid on those, we began to teach him that a gentle pressure on the reins does not mean ‘run.’ Today, he’s a lovely solid Training Level dressage horse, but it took quite some time. And he was NOT my first horse. More like Horse #12.

I’ve met Thoroughbreds I wouldn’t dare ride, and I’ve met Thoroughbreds that are absolutely saints. Different bloodlines and different handling/training methods produce vastly different horses.

How do you regain your confidence? You need lessons, and lots of them. You need a riding instructor who knows OTTBs, and I hate to say it, but I’m not sure how much your instructor is teaching you. What do you mean when you say you’ve “fallen off plenty of times?”

And I’m sorry, I know you didn’t ask this, but I have to say it: you need to decide what it is you want to do with this mare, if you do decide to get her. A foal means you will lose a year in competition. Are you prepared to handle a foal from Day 1? To halter-break it? To teach it to clip and tie and load? Do you have space to wean him/her when the time comes? Do future plans include keeping and training it, or selling it? Do you have the money for unexpected vet bills? It’s not a thing to take lightly.

I was a horse crazy kid once so I hate to be harsh and squash those dreams but they need squashing. I don’t think you have the slightest idea what it costs to get a horse to the races at even the lowest level, let alone the highest level. You didn’t mention being a multi millionaire so I am going to assume you are not. Regardless of your financial situation, going to the sales and buying a horse that already exists will give you a greater bang for your investment dollar than breeding a random mare off the track. Sorry.

Are you located in an area near any TB breeding or training farms, or tracks? Maybe there are some generous sorts out there who would be open minded to allowing you to be a shadow or something to gain some additional knowledge about breeding and racing, or how they’re prepared for the track etc.
It sounds like your heart is in the right place, but what’s that saying - “you don’t know what you don’t know” - ? There is so much to learn about riding and especially TBs, who coming from the track have already learned their job, and now have to unlearn things in order to learn a new job. They can be very different than your typical green horse.
It might also be a great idea to speak to a trainer who specializes in retraining OTTBs. Is there one in your area? They’re an amazing breed, and I hope you’re able to gain all the info necessary to make the best possible decision for you and for the mare too! =)

I have not met this mare yet!! It could turn out that we’re totally not compatible or it could turn out that I totally fall in love with her and she’s the sweetest thing ever, I won’t know until I meet her. My instructor as well as her future trainer will be coming with me and if they say we’re not a good fit, I won’t get her. It’ll be a LONG time until I breed her. I’m not talking months, I’m talking two, three, four years, depending on how fast she gets used to the new situation and environment. I know I don’t sound experienced but I have friends that are and they’re all very helpful and know what they’re doing. At the end of the day I will ONLY get a horse I know I will not be damaging further and if it’s a good fit for me, then I will take a long time and consider all the possible options. If I can’t find a horse that’s ok for me I’m alright with that because I refuse to get a horse that will be uncomfortable and unhappy with me. Please be kind, I really have done a lot of research and I am a very confident rider, I just need practice on thoroughbreds!

Don’t be afraid of TBs. I was until I got one and I will get another - they are great! BUT they are like every other breed out there - there are good ones and wretches.

The reason the TB you rode went faster when you pulled on the REINS was because they are taught to lean into pressure. Notice when they are racing in the initial stages of the races the jockeys are holding them back. He was just doing what he was taught not because he thought you were nervous (though that probably didn’t help).

I’m also going to plead with you not to breed. The chances of you breeding the next TC winner are slim to none. That is the stuff of many a story and that’s what they are - STORIES. It costs a boatload of money to enter all those races. Trainers are not cheap and neither is the stabling. Do you plan on marrying Sheikh Mohammed or one of his relatives :lol:?

Buy your mare and enjoy her for herself. But just beware OTTB are a whole different kettle of fish than maybe what you are used to. Some folks may be too harsh in presenting the facts but we all want you to have an enjoyable experience and not get hurt.

****I posted at same time as your last post. Glad you are taking others with you and you won’t get her if she is not suited to you. Great thinking!

[QUOTE=TripleCrownHopeful;8054474]
This is my first time posting but I love to look through the forums! I am 18 and have been taking lessons for four years now. For a long time, like three years I have been very interested in horse racing, more so, breeding the next triple crown winner. (yes I know that’s very unlikely, but dreaming and believing will eventually turn into results :wink:
I found this beautiful, sound, kid friendly, super sweet ex racehorse mare that I want to adopt. It won’t be for quite a few months seeing as she’s still being rehabilitated. I would eventually breed her.
The problem is, I’ve ridden a thoroughbred once before (I usually ride quarter horses because I’m training for poles and barrels) and he started trotting faster than I wanted and when I signaled for him to stop (said woah, easy) he wouldn’t stop so my riding instructor said to pull back on the reigns and I did and he started going so fast everything looked like a blur. There were kids and other horses in the arena and I was scared of him running into them or me getting hurt, or him getting hurt. He obviously sensed that and went even faster and in even smaller circles. Finally everyone yelled for me to just jump off and I did, my back hit the wall of the arena and knocked the breath out of me, him running over me didn’t help much either. I hurt my back, sprained my ankle, re injured my knee from the last time I fell off and really injured my pride as well I haven’t ridden a thoroughbred since.
As soon as I buy this mare she’ll be sent to this really great trainer I found, but I’m still nervous about riding her. I don’t know how to regain my confidence before I start riding her. I don’t want her to pick up on my hesitation while I’m around her and have her start thinking she needs to be nervous too, what should I do?[/QUOTE]

As Laurierace pointed out, you’d do far better by buying a foal than trying to breed your own. Even then, the odds against you are staggering.

You said that even if the foal never races, you’re okay with that. Wonderful! But what are your back-up plans it the foal doesn’t make it to a racetrack or doesn’t race well? Do you plan to sell him or her and try another breeding? Just wondering if you plan to keep trying for your dream of a race horse or what your other interests might be.

So maybe some numbers would help here … let’s say you are going to breed this mare, and you have spent quite a bit of time researching the nicks in her bloodlines and have picked an appropriate stallion to breed a race prospect.

Stud fee: $5-$10K. You could pay less, but you won’t get the quality to overcome the poor bloodlines this mare undoubtably has. And that is assuming the breeder will let you have a breeding, they don’t want losers on the books.

Hauling the mare there, mare care, vet care, etc. probably no less than $1K.

Ok, now she’s pregnant. Let’s just say not to count the board for a year, since you would pay it anyway.

Vet care for foaling and so forth, $500. Assuming there’s no complications.

Raising the foal for the next two years, $2K, if you have cheap board.

Now for the trainer … well that will be more money – maybe $2K? I am actually not sure. And assuming the horse is fast enough, and gets to the track.

$500-1,000 a month to be at the track, and hopefully you get the conditions to race and the horse wins something. You will probably be in claimers once the horse breaks it’s maiden and so someone can just buy your horse out from under you.

So, for $20K or so, you can breed your mare and get a racehorse that races at the smaller tracks, since most are not good enough to get to the big time.

It’s very expensive to have a racehorse, not to mention heartbreaking when they injure themselves.

Care to share the the mare’s name, race record, breeding?

[QUOTE=Kwill;8054757]
So maybe some numbers would help here … let’s say you are going to breed this mare, and you have spent quite a bit of time researching the nicks in her bloodlines and have picked an appropriate stallion to breed a race prospect.

Stud fee: $5-$10K. You could pay less, but you won’t get the quality to overcome the poor bloodlines this mare undoubtably has. And that is assuming the breeder will let you have a breeding, they don’t want losers on the books.

Hauling the mare there, mare care, vet care, etc. probably no less than $1K.

Ok, now she’s pregnant. Let’s just say not to count the board for a year, since you would pay it anyway.

Vet care for foaling and so forth, $500. Assuming there’s no complications.

Raising the foal for the next two years, $2K, if you have cheap board.

Now for the trainer … well that will be more money – maybe $2K? I am actually not sure. And assuming the horse is fast enough, and gets to the track.

$500-1,000 a month to be at the track, and hopefully you get the conditions to race and the horse wins something. You will probably be in claimers once the horse breaks it’s maiden and so someone can just buy your horse out from under you.

So, for $20K or so, you can breed your mare and get a racehorse that races at the smaller tracks, since most are not good enough to get to the big time.

It’s very expensive to have a racehorse, not to mention heartbreaking when they injure themselves.[/QUOTE]

Those numbers are so so so so so low.

That’s what I was thinking too about the numbers. I remember seeing a picture of my OTTB after having placed in a race at Saratoga. He won $4,000. I was shocked to see one of his owners say, “that will cover almost a full month of training”.

Xxx

Are there any thoroughbred rescues in your area that you could volunteer with? It wouldn’t be riding, but just handling OTTBs might give you more confidence in how they think and behave.

Good luck with your dream!

You want a racehorse? What I am telling you is learned the hard, and expensive, way. Been there, done the breed your own and race thing. Get a trainer and claim something to start with.

Are you anywhere near a race track or breeding farm? I would visit and learn what you can. In my opinion, you would likely be better off going to college, trade school, what have you and getting as great a job as you can. Or if you have the talent, become a successful writer, actor, or musician. I could be wrong but someone like Taylor Swift can probably afford a race horse (not trying to be mean, just saying’). You could then invest in a share of a race horse. Or perhaps if you are really in the big bucks buy one. We haven’t had a triple crown winner in so long…. AND believe me, so far as I know, all the people with HUGE bucks/connections have been trying. You may wish to contact the owner of California Chrome, perhaps the lowest budget guy who even came close recently and asking him for a run down on expenses. And do some reading: Beyond the Track, Backyard Racehorse, and Blessed are the Broodmares.

The amount of luck and money you need far out weighs any hard work or desire you have for these goals. Professionals have spent lifetimes and whole careers (producing hundreds of horses that failed) trying to do what you want. As long as you know you have unrealistic expectations, then good luck!

Just take one piece at a time, starting with meeting this mare and she if she is suitable first as a riding horse. Continue to DREAM but also have a plan for reality (college, jobs, having a family, etc).

[QUOTE=TripleCrownHopeful;8054806]
I know it’s expensive!! The cost to train, board and enter the races leading up to the Kentucky derby is quite a bit lol, plus it’s 50,600 dollars for the horse to be nominated, entered and to run, as well as a 500 dollar jockey fee if it doesn’t place in the top 3. The Preakness and Belmont are the same, so yeah crazy costs! Plus the unexpected vet fees, the deworming, teeth floating, feed, board, tack, grooming supplies, trailer costs, all that, I’ve got it figured out. (ive found it smart to over exaggerate the costs of everything so I’m pleasantly surprised when I have some left over lol) I’ll be older and more experienced when the foal would even be born. My plans for the foal if it doesn’t want to, can’t, won’t run is just to keep it as a trail riding horse and see if it enjoys any other sport. If its so lazy it refuses to run for anything I’m alright with a companion horse lol. I’m good with anything life throws my way and I know that god will guide me through everything I go through.[/QUOTE]

I hope God can talk some sense into you because you aren’t listening to anything we have to say. Best of luck to you both.

[QUOTE=TripleCrownHopeful;8054692]
I have talked to many MANY people who breed, show, race and own racehorses and I know just about everything that goes into it.[/QUOTE]

A big part of the attraction to horses for most people is the bottomless learning. It has been said, in the horseman circles, that you really never ever know much of anything about everything to do with horses until you’re dead. So at this point I think that I will sit on my hands and keep my fingers off the keyboard.

Frank Lloyd Wright had his own ideas on the power of words. He once said, “I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.”

Xxx

Just don’t become a dog breeder too and you will be fine.

Xxx