Unlimited access >

Scared to own a thoroughbred?

It does not sound like the horse went forward because it or you were nervous.

It sounds like you are a western rider who hopped on an Emglish trained horse and you had your legs on and was telling the horse to go forward.

Most thouroughbreds are not used for barrel racing. Most thoroughbreds are used for dressage, show jumping and Cross Country after they have finished racing. Or they become show horses. All of which is English riding. Not western.

You need some English riding lessons and to listen to the saying which many will disagree with but there are reasons behind it becoming a saying. A thoroughbred and an Arab should not be your first horse.

This is because thoroughbreds and Arabs are hot blooded horses.
Which means how they react to things.

Quarter horses are warm blooded. Not meaning the breed of warmbloods sold.

Clydestales, etc are cold blooded horses.

Generaly you dont get a hot blooded horse for your first horse And especially if you don’t know how to ride one.

As to your question about getting over your nerves.

Lessons in english riding and as you become a good rider your nerves will lessen.

OP go back and really reread your first post, with comprehension. Then do yourself a classroom exercise and rewrite it. Write, think, edit, rewrite, think, edit; that’s the learning process. Cut out what is not necessary to the advice that you are seeking. Maybe then you will get the response that you are looking for.

People are responding to the other information you offered up and you can’t argue with that because you did lay it out there. If you read this forum then you have to know that these people here are going to straight shoot your points.

You were told by an instructor to PULL ON THE REINS and that is the wrong advice. The smart people here are telling you. You said that you always fall off so therefore you can handle that, falling off that is. But now you’re scared. So why buy a TB at this point in your life?

You can have a dream, at 18, but the reality is that you have to build the basis first. Go take more and different lessons, find out what kinds of instruction is out there. No instructor is the right one for everyone. Experience and learn what good coaching really is. Learn theory. Go watch other people teach. Work on you first.

[QUOTE=TripleCrownHopeful;8054869]
Just because someone is doing something you might not necessarily agree with doesn’t mean you need to be rude and nasty about it! But thank you for your concerns. I hope you don’t always bully people who just want advice.[/QUOTE]
If you are referring to me, and don’t believe I have been rude or nasty. Part of asking for advice is being open to listening to the answers you receive.

I also wasn’t rude or nasty. You asked I answered.

If someone has a dream to jump off a roof and fly. Well the Wright Brothers who did the correct training yes go ahead.

Someone else in a Superman Cape? Well different advice is given.

Xxx

If you’re scared to ride a tb then do all of us a favor and don’t ride one.

You’ve already established that you are a sub par rider and are going to blame the fact that you can’t take control of even the most minor of incidents without blaming the breed and not your own lack of abilities.

Do everyone A favor and let your next train wreck post be about some other breed. We have enough of this.

[QUOTE=Manahmanah;8054900]
If you’re scared to ride a tb then do all of us a favor and don’t ride one.[/QUOTE]

Or buy one. Particularly not one that failed off the track at 3 because you want to breed the next triple crown winner. (Yeah, you, and pretty much EVERYONE ELSE WHO BREEDS THOROUGHBREDS, I imagine.) The world doesn’t need yet another horse that by the odds isn’t going to have anything particularly spectacular about him, and also by the odds is likely to be raised by someone who sounds not at all comfortable or confident about handling horse-related problems. (I mean, if the horse not trotting as expected was scary, what about when the foal goes through one of those lovely phases of testing your authority, as many of them do as they grow up?)

This is not, btw, crushing your dream. This is introducing your dream to reality. If you really and truly want to achieve your dream, you HAVE to be realistic and put in the time and hard work. And when you are talking about a dream that involves the lives of other creatures, it is plain irresponsible to have the attitude of ‘it’s my dream and I’m going for it and something will work out’ - because at the end of they day, if your dream doesn’t work out as you expect, the ones that suffer most are the animals who end up not getting proper care, or sold at auction, etc.

Now, we could all be wrong - may you are someone from an exceptionally wealthy family who will never have to work a day in your life if you don’t want to, and so the added expense of a mare and her unsuccessful foal for however long they live is just pocket change, so you really can be reasonably certain nothing bad will ever happen. However, if that is the case, I suggest you take the family bank account to a well-respected TB agent and at least start your efforts with a horse who was retired to breeding because success said she was worth getting foals from, instead of one who was retired to another career because she couldn’t or wouldn’t race. They can probably even find one that has a decent personality so you could train her up as a riding horse, if they look hard enough, although they may find the request a little weird. But some of the competitive bloodlines in racing do still have what people would consider to be good brains, so it’s not impossible.

Xx

Cool that you have financial means. Get yourself a tb agent and buy one of the many many many well bred tb broodmares out there. You want a great mind, conformation, race record and temperament. So important in breeding a sport horse of any kind. Start off right. Read the sport horse breeding forum to learn more. Search Gumtree’s posts on the forums. He breeds and trains tbs. He also sometimes sells for sport purposes. Just remember the enormous responsibility of bringing a helpless animal into the world. Those auctions are heart wrenching because too many people didn’t think through what can happen to the horse. Good luck.

Am I in the twilight zone or did most of the people replying to this thread not bother to actually read the original message? ?

It is one thing to dream ,another to have your head in the clouds. What you want takes a whole lot more than an 18 year old with money management skills and a dream. Listen to what these knowledgable posters are telling you. Take more lessons, lots of them, not with someone that is going to teach you to ride a pattern, but someone who can actually teach you to ride and have good horsemanship and husbandry. Maybe then move on and lease a horse so you can see at least a small part of what actually goes into owning a horse. Then maybe purchase. Learn more. You will never know everything there is to know about about horses, care, training and breeding.

The future I see is a mare you end up scared of and possibly a useless foal with no handling and no future.

[QUOTE=TripleCrownHopeful;8054859]
I hope some of y’all know that you’re trying to ruin someone’s dream…if you’re upset that I’m not listening to your advice it’s because you guys are telling me how unrealistic everything is. My good friend said “if your dreams are easily ruined, it was never a dream to begin with”. It will take me my whole lifetime to learn but I will happily accept the new learning experiences and gladly welcome them. Next year I will be training to be a dog trainer incase any of you want to tell me not to do that as well[/QUOTE]

No one is trying to ruin your dream - just pointing out that it is truly far beyond your ability NOW. I don’t know if you have a job, but even if you do - it is unlikely you can afford to breed your mare and get it hooked up with the kind of trainer that will get it anywhere out of your backyard. You don’t have the skills to train it for racing… the kind of “training” you need is someone that knows how to prepare a horse for a career on the track, not just ride it.

Ask your breeder friends how many horses they have bred that have NOT sold for more then $10K. And then ask them how they pay for all of those. It takes money to start out in racing.

My mare’s sire was a big black type stallion. He had something like 300 offspring. More than a third of those NEVER raced. And a good portion of those that did never won. And that is considered good. Who paid for all those losing horses?? (And where are they now?)

If you love the sport - find a track or a breeder to work for instead of buying and breeding a mare. You will be a lot more likely to have a career in racing than you will if you just try it on your own at 18.

[QUOTE=Manahmanah;8054937]
Am I in the twilight zone or did most of the people replying to this thread not bother to actually read the original message? ?[/QUOTE]

The original message, or the I am going to edit pretty much everything out of my original message so people will stop telling me it is a bad idea?

[QUOTE=Manahmanah;8054937]
Am I in the twilight zone or did most of the people replying to this thread not bother to actually read the original message? ?[/QUOTE]

See post 24 for the quoted original story.

OP…we a not trying to kill your dream. We are trying to help you, by offering good advice that will, in the long run, actually put you on the path to achieving that dream. As I mentioned in my earlier post, you need to start with something that is already running, and has some success. You use that money to step up to the next level, and when you do well there, you take that next step. I started out with breed-my-own, with very little success, then got into entry level claimers, have moved through the mid-claimers, and am now running in allowance company. This year will hopefully see the move up to restricted stakes for some of our string. :slight_smile:

Please take the advice offered here. It comes with many more years of experience than your young age offers you.

And just wanted to add, my daughter got her first horse, a five year old OTTB, when she was six. She had already been riding for two years by then, and knew what she was doing. I think maybe your problem with the riding does stem from some holes in your coaching, sad to say.

There’s a COTH blogger just posted in the article in the Most Popular links on the right side of this page, who writes about finding perspective in the dreaming, what the people posting here are trying to share with you.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/taking-sport-storm-will-take-some-time

[I][I][I]"This sport (eventing) is a great equalizer, and when I was younger I didn’t quite realize how difficult it would be to put together what David suggested. I was young, brash and naïve, and thought I would take the sport by storm.

I had four horses I had produced to the advanced level with some success and had yet to experience the pitfalls of being a professional rider. That all came crashing down when I first went out on my own. I went through a seven-year stretch of having every imaginable injury to my horses and myself. For the longest time my nickname on the competition circuit was “Gimp.” These injuries and hardships in retrospect, were the best thing to happen to me.

Another one of my mentors, Philip Dutton, once told me, “Forced breaks can be a blessing in disguise. They give you time to step away and find perspective.” That is exactly what these lean years did for me. "
[/I][/I][/I]

And he was 20 yrs old already competing at very high level, Advanced, in this sport and had Olympic level rider/advisors mentoring him. There’s that expression ‘Whoa, hold your horses’ …

They ARE a completely different kettle of fish compared to a native or stock breed. You can get some absolute saints, but when they have a moment, as every single horse will occasionally, they do it at warp speed.

I agree, ride as many as you can before making a decision. I have to say from your first post that this doesn’t sound like the best horse for you, but try and get a little more accustomed to the breed, that will make things clearer.

Nobody has addressed the fact that the mare is also injured at the moment. There is no mention of what the injury is but given that it is going to reportedly take months to rehab, that alone might make her an unsuitable mount for her.

Xxx

Xx