Unlimited access >

Scary arena and young horse

I moved to a new barn in December with my 5yr old mare who I’ve had since the summer. My horse, who at the other barn we were at was very well behaved and mostly non-spooky, has decided the indoor at the new barn is terrifying.

It’s a completely enclosed arena with jumps, pool noodles, with other decorations and stuff down at one end. There are also some trail obstacles that are permanently set up. I thought this would be a great opportunity to get my young horse used to different objects. I expected her to be spooky in the beginning, but she hasn’t gotten any better over the past 2 months. Her spooks aren’t bad, she mainly just won’t go forward and refuses to go down to the end of the arena where the stuff is kept. The arena is already small, which means, if we don’t use the whole arena, we’re riding on a circle a little bigger than 20 meters.

I’ve been trying to slowly get her used to everything. I’ve been lunging her at the scary end, and in our rides I always focus on letting our walk breaks be at that end so that she thinks it’s a good place to be. She’s still genuinely terrified of it. I don’t think she’s bluffing, as her eyes genuinely look frightened, and her body tightens like she’s afraid. The last horse I boarded at this barn also thought this arena was scary, but not to this extent. This arena also randomly makes sounds, which all happen to come from the end where the stuff is kept. This really doesn’t help matters as I’m pretty sure my mare thinks there is something alive in there that she just can’t see.

A part of me wants to get my mare comfortable in this arena (although, so far nothing has worked), and another part of me is fed up that we can’t properly work on our dressage or lateral work on a 20m circle, and is thinking about moving.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I’m really at a loss for what to do. We are currently boarded in the middle of nowhere (it’s close to where I live), and none of the good trainers are able to come out to where we are. I haul out for lessons once a week, and my mare is happy as a clam in those arenas. Since she is only scared in the indoor where we are, and nothing has seemed to make the situation better, I’m considering moving. But, would that just be running away from an issue that we will later encounter? (we have ridden in other arenas with jumps and stuff piled in corners, but for some reason, that is really scary in this arena)

If anyone has any advice to offer I’d really appreciate it

Stop riding in the arena for a few weeks and just do obstacle work. Use clicker treats if necessary.

When you introduce a horse to an obstacle you take her in hand and just walk around and around at her comfort level with you on the inside near the thing. Gradually you move in paying no attention to the thing, but staying outside her spook zone. Alert is ok but not reactive. Gradually move in until you are walking on the tarp or stepping over the thing. Then eventually ask her to step on or over the thing. Also just stand and relax among the things.

Since both your horse’s have been scared here, but obviously all the other horses in the barn are OK, the issue is your skills in training a horse to be confident.

It honestly isn’t that difficult but it takes a different mindset than just force the ridden horse past a spook. It takes gentle but persistent groundwork and good attention to the emotions and attitude of the horse. The rewards are huge.

I’ve never not been able to get a green horse walking over tarps and circus boxes within a couple of sessions. Even OTTB. I just go in with the assumption this is a reasonable ask but the horse needs time. I also find it really pays off in horse confidence.

The horse learns you will never overface her or punish her for fear. The two of you learn a vocabulary for negotiating new or scary objects and situations. You show the horse you are not afraid and are willing to risk walking on the tarp first. Horse learns that obstacles are fun and relaxing and involve praise and treats.

13 Likes

“But, would that just be running away from an issue that we will later encounter?”

Well, yes. More than likely. That doesn’t mean it’s the wrong choice, but it does mean you need to decide if you’re willing to prioritize working to get her more confident in the scary ring over the schooling stuff you’d prefer to be doing.

I don’t have an issue making that switch but some people do. Were it me, I’d be spending a lot of time at the walk wherever she shows you she is okay to be. I’d be doing a lot of transitions in that space (even if it’s small). Halt, back a couple steps, step out to the right, trot off soft, down to walk, halt, back, give her the reins and let her stand for a moment but redirect her attention to center if she looks off, pick her back up, walk off, couple steps of soft trot, down to halt…until you know you have her focus in that space.

Then start expanding the bubble. Let her look at stuff if she needs to look at it. Give her the dignity of being able to hard stare at something she finds concerning but keep her facing it. Don’t ask her to advance, just let her stare until she lets down a bit, starts breathing again, lowers her head, licks and chews, blinks a few times, whatever lets you know she’s processed it a bit. Then ask for a step or two forward. Rinse, repeat. Every once in a while turn her back towards her comfort zone and go back to working there for a minute so she knows you won’t ask her to be in a place that bothers her for too long. Keep making those little forays into scary-land until she shows you she’s feeling more confident.

I’ve had good success doing this. There is one arena my current gelding has never been able to feel good about but honestly I don’t blame him: it’s open, creaky, the roof lights are wonky and create funny shadows, the footing is horribly uneven and the entire perimeter is open to the barn which means it always appears “busy” outside of the arena walls.

5 Likes

While doing all this be careful never to push the horse to an actual spook or refusal. Stay at the edge of her comfort zone. Show her how to be brave.

6 Likes

Is she any different with other horses in there? Is there another boarder with a quiet horse that could help you out? Perhaps having another horse that was totally nonchalant over by the scary stuff would help?

Regarding the random sounds, you might look into a noise-cancelling ear bonnet to use until she gets more comfortable in the indoor. My horse is generally good about the indoor but she always gets really tense about the random sounds it makes when snow/ice falls off the roof - I got her an ear bonnet this year and it really helped the one day we had ice so far this year.

5 Likes

Yes, I forgot to mention that I’ve done about a week of ground work in there where we were interacting with everything she finds scary. Once she’s up to the object, she’s fine with it. She likes to chew on it and investigate it, and happily stands next to it. Once we turn to leave (and it’s behind her) she gets concerned again and wants to bolt away from it. Every ride we start with doing ground work first now.

I’m actually the only boarder at this barn (it’s private). All of the owner’s horses are retired and only go in there to free lunge. The owner has said that her horses find the arena scary, but since she doesn’t ride she doesn’t mind.

I find the whole situation odd, because my mare was very confident and not spooky at the last barn we were at, and they frequently had pole courses set and seasonal decorations up. All of the other horses could be spooking but my mare didn’t care.

1 Like

I’d do some days in the indoor, and some days outdoors. Then you have a mix of trying to get her comfortable in the indoor, yet you can still focus on the rest of her training the other days.

Some horses just don’t like indoors. And are always just leery. I have one like that. He will be 10 years old this year and while he doesn’t spook, dang he LOOKS! He does many things but barrel racing is his primary discipline and he is NOT an indoor arena horse. He doesn’t near run at the level he can indoors, because he’s looking at everything instead of focusing on his job. He has been hauled everywhere and is pretty much finished. Yet he looks. Can’t change his nature, I guess. None of my other horses have been like that.

Mostly I try to focus on keeping them busy when they are wanting to be scared. If they are scared of the pool noodle in the corner, so what? I’m going to work on sidepassing over here … which happens to be 40 feet from the pool noodles. I basically try to ignore whatever it is they are worried about and instead focus on keeping the horse’s attention on me, and keeping them busy. Then they learn it’s just easier to pay attention to me and not what is going on around them.

3 Likes

If you are the only boarder and the owner doesn’t ride in the arena, would the owner let you move/clear out some of the scary stuff? Or does she basically use it as a storage shed?

4 Likes

OP, your horse’s response with the basic work you did (introductions to the scary things) tells me she didn’t really get over her concern. She felt better about it, but change the trajectory or ask her to put it behind her (the most dangerous place from the horse’s point of view) and it’s concerning again. That seems pretty reasonable and a good reason to continue to work on accepting things regardless of where she is in correlation to them.

5 Likes

Maybe offer to get rid of the unused junk and see if she accepts? It sounds like the arena is small as it is?

Is the lighting good? If there is a pile of junk and the lighting is poor I don’t blame the poor mare. If you turn her out in the arena for a while will she still spook at it? Or investigate it?

2 Likes

The indoor is partly used for storage by the owner. And she doesn’t want any of it moved. The lighting is good in the arena though. I know the owner and that’s why she offered me a place to keep my horse; she doesn’t normally board. Where I am, the closest boarding barn are 30 mins away, with the good ones being more like 45mins away, which is why I brought my horse closer to home because I did have her boarded further away.

This barn only has the one arena, so I can’t ride anywhere else on the property.

Should I just keep on doing what I’ve been doing with her? Ground work and letting her investigate and stare at the scary things? When she starts to get nervous when her back is turned to the object, what should I do? I have been just asking her to halt and then waiting for her to drop her head and relax, praising her, then walking on. Are there any good training videos I should watch?

Warwick Schiller. He has a two part video on nervous balky horses, and how to get them to relax.

I’ve heard many people say it is worth it to subscribe, but you can also watch for free.

Also. I get the impression that you dont like the indoor yourself, and I sympathize because I wouldnt like all that junk laying around either.

However, since you dont have any say in the matter, you will have to adapt, improvise and overcome.

I would say to make sure that when you are working with your mare, make sure to breathe deeply, and project calmness and acceptance.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Tristan Tucker also has some videos, but he is geared more toward dressage.

I personally prefer WS. YMMV.

9 Likes

Time. You say you moved in December? It actually is not that much time. I’m working on a new horse right now, I got him in the middle of December and he decided that OMG the run in is terrifying. It is only now, six weeks on that it isn’t so bad…It isn’t so bad anymore because on nice days when the wind isn’t moving the trees, that is where the hay is. And now, it isn’t so bad even on sort of windy days, because nothing hurts him there and there might be food. I suspect in another month, it will be just fine even on windy days.
I’d be rather tempted to let the horse loose in the indoor, grab some handwarmers, and go sit at the scary end, with some treats and a good book. And be ready to be there for some time. As in hours. It might work, it might not.

5 Likes

Rabbit practice…

I moved my younger horse in the winter to a facility that had an arena. It had some stuff in corners and also had mirrors and made weird noises. I did the conventional stuff and got by. Rabbit practice changed my horse’s life. It took time and I spent many days doing rabbit practice instead of the dressage work I had planned, but it was totally worth it.

I call it rabbit practice because it started with Warwick Schiller’s rabbit theory. That was followed by WS’s cognitive behavioral therapy ideas which helped me figure out the specific activities my horse needed to learn to control himself and let go of the rabbits.

I’ll try to find the video links if you’re interested.

6 Likes

If you could find the videos I’d appreciate it! I’ve never heard of rabbit practice/ theory

1 Like

I’d like to see the Rabbit. videos also, I’ve looked, and cannot find them.

“Rabbit practice” is my name for it. I’m not surprised you couldn’t find anything! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Before you go any further I’m warning you that this is not a step by step “do X” then “do Y” kind of training. I had to watch the videos (and others along the same lines) and think about my horse’s behaviour and how I might induce a little anxiety and how I could create conditions where my horse would let go of his rabbits. I’m happy to share more details about what I did and help you with how you could apply the concepts to your situation.

Start by watching these videos, or read my post and then watch. At least watch the first video before reading my post. The rabbit theory explains why there are good days and bad days - it depends on how many rabbits there are on any given day.

Theory of rabbits (5 min)

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for horses (20 min)

I did much of my initial rabbit practice on the longe. The goal was to have my horse volunteer to stand near the scary spot (wherever and whatever form that might take on any given day). Rabbit practice looked something like this:

A quick WTH longe to check attention and response to commands done in a non reactive part of the ring/arena. The purpose was to get his mind into work mode.

Then started a pattern that would take us near the scary space. I liked the cloverleaf pattern for this as it breaks up the circles with straight lines and it’s easy to do lots of transitions (trot the circle, walk the straight or vice versa) and it provides multiple angles and distances approaching the scary space, passing and turning away. Do you know the cloverleaf pattern?

Watching my horse carefully I asked him to shift down one gait as he approached the scary space, T-W, W-H, at the point where he began to show worry about the SS. If he couldn’t, the W or H might happen after he passed the SS and that was okay! This is not about you must halt NOW if I say whoa! It’s about helping him learn to let go of his rabbits and take responsibility for not spooking. After the downshift happened he got praised and we continued to the next leaf.

On each leaf there is a point where the horse is approaching the SS. If he showed concern I would ask for the W or H. On the leaf furthest from the SS that transition would happen pretty much where I asked. Any H that occurred where/when I asked meant letting him stand still for a minute (yes, 60+ seconds) or until he couldn’t stand still because anxiety about the SS was getting too much. Any H or W that occurred past the SS was met with praise and immediately back to work.

The cloverleaf (or whatever) must be work. Lots of transitions - and the ones not affected by the approach to the SS must be quicker and demonstrate attention and response to my commands. This is critical because I am creating a rest space for him beside the SS.

As we worked the transition occurred closer and closer to the SS. When the approach was in T he started to volunteer the W. After he volunteered the walk several times and could W past without any big deviation in track or speed I very calmly asked him to T beside the SS. It sounds like the wrong thing, like I’m telling him to run away, but I’m actually saying listen to me and do this thing at the moment the SS looms largest in his focus. As with the initial downshift it’s not about NOW, but about getting past the focus on the SS and listening to me.

Then we progressed to H beside the SS. At first H happened well past the SS, so praise and immediately back to work. Then H happened sooner. When he H next to the SS I let him stand until he couldn’t and asked him to walk on again before he moved on his own. This was only a few seconds at first.

Can you see what happens next?

The first time my horse volunteered to halt at the closest point to the SS of the day and cock a hind foot and drop his head!! I knew we had cracked it (angels singing :wink: ). And that day’s SS was legitimately scary (odd noises and a narrow slice of visual input).

We did similar rabbit practice under saddle. We graduated to working past the SS without the downshift. When approaching and passing the SS I did as little as possible (quiet legs and hand) then asked him for something as soon as we passed it. As he got better about keeping his track and speed past the SS despite his anxiety with no aids from me, I pushed my hands forward as we approached and let him take responsibility for maintaining track and speed. If he did drop to W that was okay, and I quietly asked for trot again. Oddly enough looping the reins often made him keep the track better.

https://youtu.be/zG5DhgEbiDk Now this figure eight at the SS of the day is usually enough rabbit practice to remind my horse that he can let go of his rabbits. I should note that I did try this technique a year or so before starting the rabbit practice and it did not work for my horse at that time. He needed the CBT to learn to let go of his rabbits.

It took time and lots of rabbit practice, and rabbit practice on days I would have preferred to do dressage. It was worth the effort.

The normal “ignore it and ride like it’s not there” sort of technique can result in a horse capable of handling more rabbits, ie. hiding his anxiety. It’s still there and there is a limit to how much anxiety the horse can contain before it affects performance. I remember an article that used heart monitors to measure stress response in horses facing scary objects/situations (there were a number - one I do remember had the horses ridden at the walk between smoke pots) and the very dramatic, balking, backing, spinning, shaking head, etc horse had a lower heart rate than the apparently calm horse who carefully walked through the smoke. If we can help the horse learn to let go of anxiety it seems a better option to me.

8 Likes

At my prior barn we had one corner we called the “ghost corner.” Some new horses and many brought in for clinics had a terrible time getting around that corner. It was furthest from door where they enter and exit. That apparently is the problem. They feel safer at the door so the farther you make them go the more anxious they become. If there is another horse they may shift the safe area from the door to that horse - herd behavior.

I had the same experience when I moved my horse, 26 y.o. gelding, to another barn in November after a couple of decades at the prior facility. I haven’t been able to ride because he was lame (one reason why I needed to move him). I figured I would work on foot and set out intending to do an easy lap on the track. No way. We got nowhere.

The Horse Magazine article about this problem was in their newsletter recently. Horses will explore things starting at the safe spot. They sniff and look around. They might take a huge risk and do “loops” toward the center of the arena and back to the safe place. That is exactly what my horse did. He stayed near the door and sniffed poop. He headed toward the center a few feet, sniffed, looked around and came back. He’s gotten better and will do part of the track if another horse is there.

Scary arena

2 Likes

Thanks RedHorses, for typing all of that out! I’ll certainly give it a try.

2 Likes