Unlimited access >

Schembechler Thoroughbred Stallion

Last year I delved into the project of discovering who my horse is. She is an off the track thoroughbred born in Alabama. I found out that her name is Jazz Scatt, that she had six starts and never placed herself on the board. Furthermore I discovered that her sire is Schembechler. I’ve looked high and low for pictures or information about this stallion - my mare has the sweetest temperament (minus a crazy spell here and there) but she’s nicely put-together and well balanced for an OTTB. My question here is: does anyone know anything about Schembechler? Or have a picture of him somewhere? Or know how well his offspring perform/have had experience with them? I posted a while back on the Racing forum and was told I might have better luck on this part of the forum… thanks for any help!

Summer.

Schembechler stood around here, just south of Birmingham at Longview Farm. He was owned by Dennis Murphy, possibly in partnership with a heart doctor, who is now deceased. He was a blood bay with a bit of chrome, very handsome. Personally, I liked him, but thought he was a bit light boned in his legs for his body. However, I did start one of his babies for a good friend. He was out of her appendix mare and was just a sweetheart that was fun, kind and easy to train. She sold him to someone in the Carolinas as a hunter prospect. I can’t remember his name. He was a bay also. I think Schembechler was Foolish Pleasure on the bottom and had been one of D Wayne Lukas’ 2 year olds that washed out at the track. That wasn’t unusual for Lukas – he went through alot of 2 y.o.'s and tended to push them IMO. Dennis got his trainer’s license at Birmingham and ran some homebreds. I also was licensed there and ran a few of mine and others and also galloped and started youngsters. I was very involved in the Alabama Thoroughbred Assn at the time also as an officer and on the Board of Directors. Brings back some great memories! I don’t know what became of Schembechler, it was a long time ago. He seemed like a good guy. They were so weird about anyone getting around their stallions! I stood two of my own, rode and bred them, so they weren’t a big deal to me.
PennyG

TKR gave you a great recap.

I have a Schembechler daughter so I will add my 0.2$ though my memory may not be accurate on all things -probably best to contact the source at http://www.longviewhunterjumpers.com/

He is by Damascus (!) and is out of the What a Pleasure mare Jedina (a half sister to Fappiano). Jedina is also the dam of millionaire and stakes winner Clabber Girl.

I have met him and he was a very kind stallion. I liked him very much (I did breed to him after all!) but will agree his babies tend to be lighter in bone.

My mare -a 1996 model- is everything I hoped for from the breeding. She has a truly excellent temperament (safe but is very sensitive-you ASK her and she says yes) and was very easy to start. She has a 10 trot. Scopes out at about 3’6’’ courses but that was more than fine for me. Very brave!

She has been showing my little girl the ropes for the last few years. I have never been so proud as when they jumped their first 4 foot fence :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for posting back to me! One thing I see across the board is that Schembechler has thrown some nice babies. I was able to contact Mrs. Murphy a while back and I spoke with her about my mare and her dam - she says that Buckaroo’s Jazz was a personal favorite and they recall Jazz on the farm before she was sent to the track. Unfortunately I am not in possession of her papers (something I would love to have), but right now she’s doing very well. While she’s packed with spunk and has a purely devilish streak in her sometimes she’s very clever and willing - sweet, too. She likes to cuddle and put her nose in your business (especially while grooming). She’s curious but has a very willing attitude - she and I have been working on some jumping and I’ve never met a horse more willing to tackle new things.

My main question is: does anyone have a picture of Schembechler? And does anyone have pictures they’d like to share of Schembechler babies?

Thanks!
Summer.

Here is a blog of a woman who had/has a mare by Schembechler, with a photo of the mare which is not the best but I am sure she has more.

http://www.horsejunkiesunited.com/?p=78866