Unlimited access >

Schooling helmet

After a fall, I’m looking to buy a new schooling helmet. Something under $100.
I see a lot of Troxel and Ovation options in that category. Anyone have any recommendations? Are they all really the same safety-wise?

My previous helmets have all been Troxel, which I have liked (Particularly, the Troxel Rebel). I live in Texas. It’s been very hot. Reviews seem to indicate that The Ovation Protégé is more breathable?

I’m always hesitant to buy something new.
I mostly just school horses, so I don’t need a fancy show helmet. I do some jumping (nothing over 3’6") and lots of trail riding. So I’m not opposed to colorful helmets to improve visibility.

I like the Ovation Deluxe Schooler okay. It has a dial fit system and is pretty light and well ventilated. My real choice in this price range is the Tipperary Sportage but really— whatever fits your head best. International Helmet Awareness Day coming up in August; Wait 'til then for a better deal if you have a safe helmet to use in the meantime.

3 Likes

I’ve had a couple of Ovations, they work absolutely fine. Seem to be ASTM rated, so am assuming they protect as well as anything.

If you like the Rebel, why not stick with it? Troxel has some fabulous designs for those (I love the feather one!) and the price is excellent. Troxel and Ovation meet the same safety standards - I can’t imagine a US tack store selling a non-certified helmet.

If you want to know about the certifications, here is an easy explanation.
https://marystack.com/blog/helmet-certifications-or-what-do-all-those-letters-numbers-mean/

Full disclosure, I wrote this blog post and it’s not a suggestion to buy at Mary’s Tack :slight_smile: I think we are sold out of the Rebel anyway. And yes, Helmet Awareness Day is the weekend of Aug 18-19 and helmets are on sale, yay!
Glad you’re OK after your fall - remember, helmet manufacturers offer crash replacement discounts for a certain amount of time so always save your receipt.

another vote for the TIpperary sportage if it fits.

Agreed- that’s absolutely the choice for Texas heat and humidity. When I lived in South Florida, nearly everyone at my barn schooled in one. Now I am the only one at my barn but I think that’s because others just have not tried them. The ventilation is a million times better than other helmets.

I use (and recommend) the Ovation Schooler. I think my head is oval-ish.