Unlimited access >

Searching for North Texas Hunter Jumper trainer / boarding

I will be relocating from San Diego to the Dallas area, working in Irving and looking to settle in or around Southlake or Flower Mound. I am an adult amateur rider that has a high-maintenance TB. He is a great ride, but is not the easiest of horses. I am looking for a trainer that understands and respects the quirkiness of TBs and where I can ride and train but not be required to show more than a couple times a year because I just don’t have the time for it. I plan to have him in full-time training and really want someone who is great with care and who will school him when I am not around—or even hop on when he is being naughty. :slight_smile:

Additionally, I have a 10 year old daughter who is also getting into riding so would like an option that would allow us both ride at the same location. I would be open to eventing barns too if there were any good options in the area. I appreciate the feedback.

Check the THJA website for a list of trainers. There are quite a few barns around Flower Mound, Argyle and Pilot Point. the NTHJC has a list of barns, too. I know a couple riders at Bay Yard Farm in Flower Mound and they have at least one amateur hunter rider who shows a TB. The good news there are quite a few barns in the area you are searching!

1 Like

Hi there. You may have already found something, but you might check out Foxglen Farm in Argyle. Jim and Joan Hensen are the best and good with kids and adults. Jim grew up riding TBs, so that may be right up your alley.

Personally, I would not recommend the Hensen’s (speaking as a former client and boarder). Turnout is inadequate, and Joan is demoralizing (likes to pick riders apart). Plus, they want you to show a lot. I would recommend Bay Yard Farm in Bartonville or Windswept in Argyle.

1 Like

I’d be happy to give you a more in depth personal opinion about many of the North Texas barns when you narrow it down. However, I will say right off the bat that I can’t say enough good things about Woodhill. If I were to move north, I’d go to Matt & Kelley in a heartbeat. You aren’t required to show, as there is generally someone home (or at least going back and forth) while the others are on the road. They are currently building a brand new facility at home and it’s nearly move in ready. They are great and Matts way of teaching, along with Kelleys and Audreys, are all very confidence inspiring and FUN. Plus they have great kids and AA’s that ride there!

2 Likes

Windswept!! I adore Debbie, Maggie, and all of her staff. I haven’t ridden with Matt in 10+ years, but he was always a blast