Unlimited access >

Season started

Yesterday was our opening meet. The weather was foul, with floods closing roads, every step was a squelch, every pasture was either a lake or a river in the lower lying places, plough seemed to have unexpected depths and, worst of all, in several fields the maize is still standing as it is too wet to get machinery onto the land and we couldn’t get on either. We all had a great time, the hounds worked really well, even the new entry, and everyone was pleased to be out again. No such thing as a bad day’s hunting.

Glad to hear you all were able to have opening meet even though the conditions were difficult.

I wasn’t able to attend this year’s opening, as we had company from out of state. I’ll miss the Thanksgiving meet as well. The only bright side is that I should be able to hunt weekly every other week.

Battle Creek has been going out twice a week since Mid-September! So far, a very exciting season. Huntsman took a fall and will be out for sometime. The hounds are working splendidly for the alternative huntsman --the interesting thing, for me, long time member, is that I can no longer predict/anticipate where the pack will go. In the past they generally started in a certain field, then went to a woods, then back to another field --now, anything goes! I have rejoined first flight after three seasons --old hunter (now 21) dropped back to hilltoppers then withdrew from hunting entirely three seasons ago --Idiopathic RAO --so I bought a cutting/sorting QH (liked his mind) and have been spending summers retraining him to include jumping --and he has been retraining me to ride western. Last season we were solid second flight and were invited up --this season we made the leap --literally -as he must leap to keep up with the big dogs! He is thought (by everyone) to be ready for the big stuff on the hunt country --but I’m a bit of a chicken so we keep it to 2’6" and below. Meanwhile the Idiopathic RAO ended as mysteriously as it started, so the old hunter is still out now and then in the second flight or hill toppers --with someone gentle and kind --he’s a gem --solid as a rock, stands quietly, jumps what he’s put to, always keeps a safe distance from horse ahead, and moves himself out of the ride when staff pass. Joint meet was two weeks ago, guest hunt was last week, and this week is the hunt ball. I love hunting! Check out videos of Battle Creek Hunt on YouTube --here’s my favorite!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2zwGocX7f0&t=18s

1 Like

Thank you, Foxtrot, I enjoyed the video. It is fun to see other people’s hunting life.