Unlimited access >

Seat bone pain?

Not me, but for a family member. They bought a new saddle just two months ago. Unfortunately they weren’t able to trial the actual saddle-it was ordered new. But ride in a boarder’s saddle of the same model a few times. This was with the help of an independent saddle in fitter.

Now, she says it’s hurting her seat bones, something she’s never experienced.

She does have a baby so gave birth just 11 months ago. She isn’t riding regularly. Maybe once every two weeks? The saddle is a Fairfax monoflap jump saddle. I’m not sure which model but I believe it is one of their eventing styles which I think is new to her versus just a close contact jump saddle.

Is it possible that the saddle is just not broken in yet? Or something to do with the recovering body from child birth and new style of saddle?

She was really excited for this saddle and is bummed to be having pain.

I was battered to the point of my seat bones bleeding when riding in a pony’s saddle meant for a child, and I’m a very small adult. Seat bone-specific issues might be the twist of the saddle. After Googling a million different things, I tried another saddle that was small and light, but had a wider twist meant for an adult, and never had the problem again.

2 Likes

It well could be saddle fit for her anatomy. I’ve had this happen when the seat is a bit too narrow for me and my seat bones are more toward the edge of the seat. It’s also possible that model doesn’t have a lot of padding in the seat and it’s harder than she’s used to.

Can she borrow another saddle to see if it’s a consistent issue across saddles? That might tell her if it’s an issue from time off or saddle fit.

A seat saver may help too if everything fits pretty well and she just needs a bit more padding.

3 Likes

I have a thinline seat pad she can try. And she’s welcome to try my saddles but they are in the same family of saddles so not as helpful.

I really hope she can make it work.

I rode 5 - 6 days a week before my lease mare strained a suspensory that sent us in to rehab limbo. When I started tack walking after three months my seat bones HURT, and didn’t stop until I was tack walking consistently. Same saddle I’d been using before that’s fitted to mare AND me, and that I was really comfortable in before the time off. I was really surprised at the relatively short time off having my booty hurt that much.

I’d be curious to see if this is just from being out of the saddle, and then only sporadically riding. Could she try a seat saver until she’s back to riding full time again?

1 Like

Might be. I will see if she wants to try my seat saver, I haven’t needed it in years.

The thing is, if she’s shelled out big bucks for a new saddle, and it’s primarily the saddle putting her in a weird position, then wouldn’t it be better to find a saddle that fits her?

I only say this, because I when I had the issue, I was looking for seat savers, padded underwear, new breeches, and said to myself, this is crazy, and asked to use a different saddle, and no more bruised and bleeding seat bones. And it’s not like I swapped to a fancy, cushy saddle. It was another crappy lesson saddle, just a crappy lesson saddle with a less narrow twist. I don’t have kids, but if she’s given birth, her bone structure may have also shifted slightly.

1 Like

I’m just not sure if that’s 100% the case yet. It’s hard to say since she’s not been riding much and saddle is not broken in either.

She’s aware that she might need another saddle but she shelled out decent amount of money for it. She would have to sell new saddle before buying another. So she would need to hopefully borrow one. Her horse has some back issues though and needs a very particular fit.

I just feel for her. It is disappointing. I think she’s only rode in it a handful of times though.

1 Like

Is there a saddle fitter involved here, or can there be? It may be that some judicious reflocking can adjust the balance of the saddle and therefore where/how she’s sitting without changing the fit for the horse.

I know I am a complete princess about saddle fit. If it isn’t “just so,” I’m miserable.

Yes she bought it through an independent saddle fitter. She had rechecked it but I think she hadn’t really rode in it much yet. I’m not sure if she messed with flocking at the recheck or not.

I think she should definitely have the fitter out again. Or speak to her at least.

I have a Thinline seat saver on my older Beval Devon saddle, and I can definitely tell a difference. I think it was only $50. Another option is an Acavallo seat saver, a bit more expensive, but VERY cushioned. After I had my first child, my tailbone would ache at times for no reason. It lasted for quite a while, but finally went away on its own. I didn’t have the seat bone issue, but I could definitely see it being a temporary issue from childbirth.

1 Like

I thought I would update here as I rode on her saddle last night as well as saw her ride in it. It’s a very nice saddle monoflop with a pretty decent knee block and then the little calf block behind (not sure what that’s called )

I don’t think it’s a bad saddle but I think it is about as opposite from what she had been riding in previously as she could get. When I rode in it would I noticed immediately, what how much deeper the seat is than most close contact jump saddles. Honestly I thought the seat reminded me a bit of a dressage saddle. I think it has a narrower twist. Also with the knee block and a deeper seat you definitely feel a little locked in. She was able to get up into two point and actually looks good there but when sitting you can see how it really holds you in. I also thought maybe it looked on the smaller side for her but I’m no expert. She did just have a baby and I know she’s looking to lose some weight so maybe that’s why they felt comfortable going with that size for her?

She did say that she hasn’t been having pain but she also hasn’t been riding much either. I did tell her that she can borrow my thinline pad for it if she wants. Although I think she’s a little hesitant because what she really wants us to love the saddle as it is since she paid a little more for it than she’s accustomed to.