Unlimited access >

Seattle area HJ barns

Hello! I recently moved to Washington from Charleston, SC and am finally settled in with a new job, an even newer house, and I am missing riding!

I work in Bothell, and live in Mount Vernon, so I’d really like to find a place relatively near Bothell, or somewhere between the two locations. I’m really not looking to go too much further south than Bothell, just because my commute is already a huge pain.

I do not have a horse, so I’m really looking to take lessons, groom, possibly show occasionally, or be a semi-working student on weekday evenings (after 3pm) and possibly weekends.

I competed on a local rated circuit throughout highschool, and competed for my college’s varsity IHSA team, before graduating and working at a barn 6 days a week. I can provide references if anyone would like them.

If you know of anything, or anyone to talk to, please let me know! I am also open to trying some dressage or jumpers, but would really like to stick with hunters/equitation.

Thanks!!

You might do a search as there have been recent threads on this topic. Also take a look at flyingchanges.com for stable directory info. I’m sure our Seattle COTHrs will chime in soon!

Look up Denise Youell at Farpoint farm in maltby. She is excellent and I think her program would fit your needs well.

No advice here, but some weekend when the tulips are in bloom go over to anacortes, and maybe drive a bit down witbey. Cute little town with great little beaches to walk, and the drive there is gorgeous. Also take the ferry to orcas island, it is worth it!!
I grew up in that area when I was very very young, and I have fond memories of the area.

[QUOTE=StormyDay;8908457]
No advice here, but some weekend when the tulips are in bloom go over to anacortes, and maybe drive a bit down witbey. Cute little town with great little beaches to walk, and the drive there is gorgeous. Also take the ferry to orcas island, it is worth it!!
I grew up in that area when I was very very young, and I have fond memories of the area.[/QUOTE]

I actually moved in Whidbey at the end of June, but the commute to Bothell was wayyyyy too long. We love Anacortes, and the surrounding islands as well! Although we haven’t been able to do too much exploring. Definitely looking forward to the tulip festival!!

Hillcrest (Heidi Snider Kauffman) and Archway (Clare Warren/Corey Smith) are in Woodinville, right by Bothell. Heidi hosts the UW IHSA team and has some school horses. Corey I’m not sure about re: school horses, but I know her from the shows and she has really lovely horses. Sundance with Katherine Wade-Easley and Chelsea Crabb is there too – I don’t have firsthand experience with them but might be worth a look.

I’m sure Seattleites probably have more insider knowledge than me. I work back gate at the shows in Oregon, so I only know those who come down here in the summer.

[QUOTE=dailyplanet;8908561]
I actually moved in Whidbey at the end of June, but the commute to Bothell was wayyyyy too long. We love Anacortes, and the surrounding islands as well! Although we haven’t been able to do too much exploring. Definitely looking forward to the tulip festival!![/QUOTE]

I adore that area, I think it has the best weather in all of western Washington too.
Woodinville is very close to bothell, and there is quite a few equestrian places in there. I used to show all the time at Gold Creek Equestrian center, which used to have a lovely riding program (and one massive indoor, a covered arena, and two outdoors) if they are still doing their program, I would recommend them. They did hunters, and I believe dressage too.
If you go there, ask if Houdini is still there. I was in looooove with that horse!

[QUOTE=541hunter;8908850]
Hillcrest (Heidi Snider Kauffman) and Archway (Clare Warren/Corey Smith) are in Woodinville, right by Bothell. Heidi hosts the UW IHSA team and has some school horses. Corey I’m not sure about re: school horses, but I know her from the shows and she has really lovely horses. Sundance with Katherine Wade-Easley and Chelsea Crabb is there too – I don’t have firsthand experience with them but might be worth a look.

I’m sure Seattleites probably have more insider knowledge than me. I work back gate at the shows in Oregon, so I only know those who come down here in the summer.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the UW program just moved to Aleron and is working with Kimmy. Heidi is great, as is Jenn Wagner who has a lower key program at Hillcrest.

[QUOTE=costco_muffins;8909594]
Actually, the UW program just moved to Aleron and is working with Kimmy. Heidi is great, as is Jenn Wagner who has a lower key program at Hillcrest.[/QUOTE]

Oh interesting! I didn’t realize they’d switched. Thanks for the clarification!

Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate the feedback, and I will definitely reach out to those trainers/barns!